AFL Player #11: Jade Gresham - An astute pickup

Remove this Banner Ad

I remain ambivalent about Gresham’s tangibles, the intangibles excite me far more.

A young but mature indigenous kid with his head screwed on properly, with strong ties to and investment in his culture, a player who bought in to what Ross Lyon was cooking even if it meant it’d probably result in less touches and highlights. Tick, tick, tick.

He’ll be a steady hand, nothing more, nothing less, as far as donkeys go, he’s a pretty good one to have doing the up and back donkey work and applying what he learned under Lyon in when to press up, how quick you need to be to act on it and where the dangerous space is.

Needs to finish better than he has been doing in the last couple of years though.

Perhaps we apply a bit of reverse psychology, if giving him Plugger’s number makes him kick poorly, maybe if we give him #17 he’ll turn it around, been some seriously grim exploits infront of the sticks in that jumper.

Yeah I think he will suit a need.

Don't think hes a player you over pay for but as a non trade., He would be an upgrade of Gueif . Almost think his papers have probably now been stamped. Hopefully he can help with forward pressure.
He'll be an attacking upgrade on Guelfi for sure, but I'm not sure he'll be a defensive upgrade. We still need the ball to not rebound out of our forward fifty. Guelf is a player you know will do all he can to keep it locked in. Not sure Gresh has the same defensive tenacity, so I'll reserve judgment. Scott obviously wants better options to goal.

Welcome aboard Gresh!
Defend!

He'll be an attacking upgrade on Guelfi for sure, but I'm not sure he'll be a defensive upgrade. We still need the ball to not rebound out of our forward fifty. Guelf is a player you know will do all he can to keep it locked in. Not sure Gresh has the same defensive tenacity, so I'll reserve judgment. Scott obviously wants better options to goal.

Welcome aboard Gresh!
Defend!
He is above both in average tackles. Where he really shines is disposals, elite category. This suggests he retains the ball. Also above average in marks.

His goal average is slightly below Guelfi but with those disposal numbers I suspect he massively brings others into the game with goal assists etc.

He is above both in average tackles. Where he really shines is disposals, elite category. This suggests he retains the ball. Also above average in marks.

His goal average is slightly below Guelfi but with those disposal numbers I suspect he massively brings others into the game with goal assists etc.
Are those disposal numbers inflated because he was given midfield time though?

And that also explain why his goal average sits below Guelfi's?

I was under the impression that his attacking work - vision, agility, marking, disposal etc., as well as scoring capability - must have been better than Snelling / Guelfi.

When I think of Guelfi I think of his desperation for 1%ers. Smothers and the like.

Are those disposal numbers inflated because he was given midfield time though?

And that also explain why his goal average sits below Guelfi's?

I was under the impression that his attacking work - vision, agility, marking, disposal etc., as well as scoring capability - must have been better than Snelling / Guelfi.

When I think of Guelfi I think of his desperation for 1%ers. Smothers and the like.
Maybe, I have no idea what midfield minutes he had.

Guelfi can go missing a bit and Snelling get run off too easily.

Will be interesting but I am excited to what he can bring.

Maybe, I have no idea what midfield minutes he had.

Guelfi can go missing a bit and Snelling get run off too easily.

Will be interesting but I am excited to what he can bring.
At first I was a bit non-plussed, but I can see a long term strategy bringing him in and lifting our performance. I don't usually use the word 'bolster', but Gresham, McKay and Goldstein really do bolster.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congratulations on getting Gresham.
He has given me a number of highlights during a particularly rough period.
Most notably earlier in his career when he kicked the winners against Geelong and GC, and when he used his sidestep to great advantage.
Definitely he has X factor, if he can bring that to you then you will be very happy.
But for me, it was time for him to leave.
You know when you invest in a player and there comes a point you realise that they’re flawed and will not get you the next step?
Well, that was me and Gresh after our loss to Richmond this year.
His last few years with us were injury interrupted and I don’t know, but suspect, that may have taken a toll. Back, achilles and knee; all major.
At the very worst, you have a GOP that will fill a role for you.
At the very best, you have a match winner.
Let’s hope it is the latter.

Most notably earlier in his career when he kicked the winners against Geelong and GC, and when he used his sidestep to great advantage.
Definitely he has X factor, if he can bring that to you then you will be very happy.
You know when you invest in a player and there comes a point you realise that they’re flawed and will not get you the next step?
His last few years with us were injury interrupted and I don’t know, but suspect, that may have taken a toll. Back, achilles and knee; all major.
90 Day Fiance Pao GIF by TLC

I have reservations about the salary but he's ours now so we should get behind him. To be honest I've never paid that much attention to him in games against us or neutral games I've watched but sounds like he could make a forward line a bit more potent.

$700k would be overs on last years numbers but is it overs under the new CBA? Probably not. Maybe a small premium required as a free agent, which is understandable.

Tbh I'm more impressed we agreed a 3yr deal. I doubt there'd be many free agents moving for less than four years, especially if all their games played were in the seniors before departing.

This post would make so much more sense if you actually lost to Richmond this year

I like the gamble on bringing Gresham in. The coin we’re dishing out to him is obscene for his career to date but I honestly think that in a conducive environment he will thrive. Sometimes extremely talented footballers can get lost in a system that doesn’t utilise their skill-set. If we leave him and Stringer hovering around 2-metre Peter you can guarantee that one of them will get off the leash… and it will be exciting to watch - a bit of a nightmare for defenders. All I want to see from him, as a show of faith, is an extreme work- rate to keep the ball in our area. I’m not convinced he’ll give us that but you never know, he might find this fresh start motivating. If he were late 20s-early 30s you’d be disappointed but he’s young enough to reset his career.

Last week he was Leroy Jetta to me

This week he is prime James Hird

go well fella

Remove this Banner Ad

Back