Preview Round 11 - Essendon Bombers Vs The West Coast -Saturday May 27th 7:30 at Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

What'd he miss?

You said

He's saying Bryan plays ruck 90% of the time at VFL level so we haven't seen his forward craft. Pointing out Flip's kicked 3 goals is just quoting stats with no context, it's hard for Bryan to do that or 'put pressure on their spots in this regard' if he's not given a chance don't you agree?

I said “Phillips is barely serviceable” and he replied by saying “Phillips can barely move”. So we agree. Phillips is in poor form.

I said “Bryan would probably play ruck and Draper goes forward” and so he replies “Bryan plays 90% ruck”. Again, we agree. Bryan’s best/only position is as a ruck.

So we have someone who has a record of impacting the scoreboard at AFL level, however poorly, and then we have someone who doesn’t seem to have played forward as a junior or in the VFL (apparently ever?) that is being argued as the replacement. And both of them trying to fill some huge boots courtesy of 2MP.

If Bryan’s lack of opportunities to play forward is the crux of the argument for why Bryan should be selected, it’s not a great one. Argue for him as a talented athletic pure ruck who releases Draper to the forward line. Argue for his finesse and tap work, and that he is a good partner for Draper’s big frame and exuberant clumsiness.
And dropping Flip to let Bryan go forward defeats the 2 rucks in the seniors concept.
I didn’t say it was feasible with three rucks on the list and the other two playing AFL, but he’s not going to develop flexibility in his game if he always plays solo ruck week in and week out, is he? Didn’t we just have this conversation?

The better question as far as opportunities for forwards go is “when will we get desperate enough to give Voss a debut?”

The better question as far as opportunities for forwards go is “when will we get desperate enough to give Voss a debut?”
Voss needs to kick a bag in the VFL and get a game before 2MP is back post bye

He probably has 2 weeks

There will still be options potentially later on (Inj probs required though)

Draper, Weid, Voss and 2MP can work (Stringer injured)

Draper, 2MP, Voss, Stringer (Weid inj) can also work

Right now the club should be focused on making finals this picking the best side to win games

Voss needs to kick a bag in the VFL and get a game before 2MP is back post bye

He probably has 2 weeks

There will still be options potentially later on (Inj probs required though)

Draper, Weid, Voss and 2MP can work (Stringer injured)

Draper, 2MP, Voss, Stringer (Weid inj) can also work

Right now the club should be focused on making finals this picking the best side to win games
Probably. Stars will need to align for him I think.

CHANGES SINCE LAST TIME:

WEST COAST OUTS: Rioli, Redden, Cripps, Kennedy, Jones, Darling, Ryan
WEST COAST INS: Hunt, Edwards, Sheed, Long, Allen, Ginbey, Foley

ESSENDON OUTS: Wright, Kelly, Jones, D'Ambrosio, Bryan, Ham (Unused sub)
ESSENDON INS: Zerk-Thatcher, McGrath, Weideman, McDonald-Tipungwuti, Menzie

Bizarre how few changes there are to the Eagles team despite their injury crisis

I said “Phillips is barely serviceable” and he replied by saying “Phillips can barely move”. So we agree. Phillips is in poor form.

I said “Bryan would probably play ruck and Draper goes forward” and so he replies “Bryan plays 90% ruck”. Again, we agree. Bryan’s best/only position is as a ruck.

So we have someone who has a record of impacting the scoreboard at AFL level, however poorly, and then we have someone who doesn’t seem to have played forward as a junior or in the VFL (apparently ever?) that is being argued as the replacement. And both of them trying to fill some huge boots courtesy of 2MP.

If Bryan’s lack of opportunities to play forward is the crux of the argument for why Bryan should be selected, it’s not a great one. Argue for him as a talented athletic pure ruck who releases Draper to the forward line. Argue for his finesse and tap work, and that he is a good partner for Draper’s big frame and exuberant clumsiness.

I didn’t say it was feasible with three rucks on the list and the other two playing AFL, but he’s not going to develop flexibility in his game if he always plays solo ruck week in and week out, is he? Didn’t we just have this conversation?

Honestly this is just word salad. I certainly don't think his post deserved your snippy reply.

But I think we can agree we're on different pages here and move on.

Honestly this is just word salad. I certainly don't think his post deserved your snippy reply.

But I think we can agree we're on different pages here and move on.
Yeah okay, you’re right. I should ignore him. But you could just stay out of it too 😁 now we both know for next time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah okay, you’re right. I should ignore him. But you could just stay out of it too 😁 now we both know for next time
I never said ignore him. 🤷‍♂️

For someone telling others to read posts I'm not entirely convinced you're reading them before replying.
Just based on the sheer volume of posts, it is impossible to read them all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back