silk

Premium Platinum
Sep 10, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Well, I’m back for another go at this preview thing…

1045176 (1).jpg

But don't look a Gif Whore in the mouth, as they say.

Thank you eth-dog for covering the first round. Was probably a good thing too, as my whole preview would have just been me laying the boots into the AFL for that stupid Opening Round nonsense.

Full disclosure… Saturday Afternoon games are painful as I can’t really watch them due to other commitments, and today was no exception. I was only able to watch the first half, but I’m ¾ through the game day thread and holy hell I think that we are terrible and are going to lose this one… wait no.. Just checked the final scores.. phew. we won.. Hawthorne suck.

Hmm, wonder if we what our chances are of going 2-0.. checks who we are playing next… oh s**t!

The Round That Was
I’m sorry boys… but if there’s one thing I learnt from cricket last year it’s that there are two types of winners, there are the actual winners, but more importantly, there are moral winners, and given they had more scoring shots, I’m assuming Hawthorne are claiming tube moral victory, so good for them an all that. Hell of a game from Perko!

And now for some Hawthorne highlights from the game.

7Nj7.gif

ESSENDON 4.2 7.3 12.3 17.5 (107)
HAWTHORN 2.7 5.11 9.14 11.17 (83)

GOALS
Essendon: Stringer 4, Langford 3, Wright 2, Perkins 2, Guelfi 2, Menzie, Caldwell, Durham, Gresham
Hawthorn: Moore 3, Ginnivan 2, Chol 2, Worpel, Gunston, Amon, Lewis,
BEST (From AFL.com.au)
Essendon: Perkins, Stringer, Wright, McKay, McGrath, Merrett
Hawthorn: Weddle, Worpel, D'Ambrosio, Ginnivan, Hardwick
INJURIES
Essendon: Reid (left hamstring)
Hawthorn: Nil
SUBSTITUTES
Essendon: Elijah Tsatas (replaced Reid at half time)
Hawthorn: Finn Maginness (replaced Chol in the fourth quarter)

Sydney on the other hand has miraculously managed to win two games of footy in just 1 round.. How are we supposed to compete with that? Whilst Sydney winning sucks.. At least it was against those smug bastards, Collingwood.

COLLINGWOOD 3.1 5.2 6.5 10.9 (69)
SYDNEY 2.6 7.8 12.10 15.12 (102)
GOALS
Collingwood: Elliott 2, Schultz 2, J. Daicos, De Goey, N. Daicos, Hill, McCreery, Cameron
Sydney: McDonald 4, Warner 3, Heeney 2, Rowbottom, Papley, Amartey, McLean, Wicks, McInerney
BEST
Collingwood: N. Daicos, Cameron, Maynard, Pendlebury
Sydney: Heeney, Warner, Gulden, McDonald, Rowbottom, McCartin
SUBSTITUTES
Collingwood: Fin Macrae replaced Ash Johnson in the third quarter
Sydney: Sam Wicks replaced Joel Amartey in the fourth quarter

The Last Time We Met

Oh hell! I didn’t want to have ot relive this one.. Heart broken all over again.

Sad Broken Heart GIF

ESSENDON 5.2 7.4 10.6 15.9 (99)
SYDNEY 5.1 10.5 14.7 15.11 (101)
GOALS
Essendon: Langford 5, Wright 4, Martin, Perkins, Hind, Caldwell, Durham, Menzie
Sydney: Amartey 4, Wicks 3, Heeney 2, Papley 2, Warner, McInerney, McDonald, Gulden
BEST
Essendon: Merrett, Langford, Caldwell, Parish, Heppell
Sydney: Gulden, Lloyd, Warner, Campbell, Amartey
INJURIES
Essendon: TBC
Sydney: Franklin (calf), Rampe (calf)
LATE CHANGES
Essendon: Will Snelling, replaced in the selected side by Alwyn Davey jnr
Sydney: None
SUBSTITUTES
Essendon: Will Snelling (replaced Alwyn Davey jnr in the third quarter)
Sydney: Ryan Clarke (replaced Lance Franklin in the second quarter)
Crowd: 38,329 at Marvel Stadium

The Selection Table

Possible Outs
- (Be nice, I’m using stats only here)
Ried (Inj)
Jones (Prefer he stays though, but team balance and performance might see him out)
Duursma
Tsatas (Full game either AFL of VFL please)

Possible Ins
Hobbs
Hind
A. Davey
Draper
Lav - (To replace Reid perhaps, though form doesn't seem to warranty selection.)

My Tip - Another shitty close loss and some very questionable umpiring calls late. Sydney by 5 points.

Housekeeping - If anyone wants to do a guest preview, just let me know, happy for someone else to assist when possible. Dreamtime is the only one taken so far, and also can someone please volunteer to do the preview for Round 4?

Last edited:
Ins: Draper, Parish, Lav
Outs: Jones, Menzie, Reid (inj)

Seriously considered: Hobbs and Hind

Hobbs at the SCG has to come into consideration but not sure who goes out. Guelfi was solid today and will be important to match Swans intensity. Probably means Cox might not match up well - horses for courses and all that, despite doing a reasonable job today under difficult circumstances.

Ins: Draper, Parish, Lav
Outs: Jones, Menzie, Reid (inj)

Seriously considered: Hobbs and Hind

Hobbs at the SCG has to come into consideration but not sure who goes out. Guelfi was solid today and will be important to match Swans intensity. Probably means Cox might not match up well - horses for courses and all that, despite doing a reasonable job today under difficult circumstances.
Heppell lives. Wowsers. Heeney will push forward straight to Heppell.

Nah, you’re correct. People seem to get offended at the idea that he’s slowed down with age. It’s beyond his control, but I don’t see how anyone with eyes can’t see that he slows us right down.
He slows us down. But he reads the play well and organises things well. Plus he won’t get dropped. I don’t have him in my best 23 if I’m being forward thinking but he’s not droppable on today’s performance. Not a chance. Unless they go for the ‘managed’ narrative after today’s heat.

Hobbs v caldwell a tough one for me. Caldwell did some massive things but was very anonymous throughout the game.
Maybe gets a reprieve but plays close to goal for menzie?

Jones to draper is a no brainer.

In: draper, hobbs, parish
Out: reid (inj 😞), menzie, jones

Heppell - mckay - mcgrath
Redman - cox - martin
merrett - setterfield - duursma
Langford - wright - gresham
Caldwell - draper - stringer
Goldy - parish - perkins
Durham - tsatas - hobbs - guelfi
Kelly (or lav)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hobbsy again BOG in the VFL with Hindy - i reckon they'd go close to selection

Shiel was rusty - Davey boys were lively - Drapes prob still not 100% but you gotta play 2 rucks against Sydney

We could get flogged here but gotta get pressure at the contest

so IMO

OUT: Jones, Menzie, Kelly, Reid (inj)
IN Hobbsy, DP3, Drapes, Hind (sub)

Hobbsy again BOG in the VFL with Hindy - i reckon they'd go close to selection

Shiel was rusty - Davey boys were lively - Drapes prob still not 100% but you gotta play 2 rucks against Sydney

We could get flogged here but gotta get pressure at the contest

so IMO

OUT: Jones, Menzie, Kelly, Reid (inj)
IN Hobbsy, DP3, Drapes, Hind (sub)
Hind and Hobbs they did this last year good signs for them.

Think they may leave Reid out as a precaution.
Menzie did not do a lot.
Jones did a lot of running and leading but just could not mark the footy.

The rest all did enough so they would be unlucky.

I think Scott will err on the side of caution and give Draper one more week in the VFL and Parish will also be given extra time to recuperate.

Not happy with Jones, but suspect he'll be given a second chance.

Changes
Out: Reid, Kelly
In: Laverde, Hobbs
How does Hobbs play defensive wing or back ? He is an inside forward / midfielder .
One of Gresham / Caldwell / Menzie / Perkins would have to come out of the side .
Kelly was not great but he was not bad and the fact is watching live he was playing his role early off the wing and when he actually did have a target forward he moved it. Made a couple of mistakes but so did everyone.
If Kelly is out then I am moving Hind to half back and martin to a wing and letting him run from behind but Hobbs is not playing that role.

There's only one guy that makes us slow and that's Jake the anchor Kelly.
Because he will not kick it forward to a one on three contest ?

Hep was good today. Very important once Reid went off. If you watched closely you’d notice that. Besides, Scott won’t drop him, guaranteed.
Respectfully this is not correct in my opinion.
Heppell has lost all speed, goes to ground and misses tackles.
The game has passed him by.
He had a couple of good efforts but both him and Cox look as vulnerable as a three legged antelope in front of a hungry lion.

Because he will not kick it forward to a one on three contest ?
There were a couple of instances where he could have moved the ball but was overly cautious. Pretty sure at least once it was missing a team mate running past to whom he could have handballed. I don't blame him because maintaining possession is obviously key, but his cautiousness does slow us down IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back