Preview Round 3: Essendon vs St Kilda, Marvel Stadium, Saturday 30/03/24 @ 4:20 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There you go we lack forward flankers that push up and back. Funny how the defenders seem to cop most of the flak when we have had a dysfunctional forward line for years now.
Yep, lack of forward pressure kills any team defence.

Been happening for a long time.

Our backline has actually stood up considering the bombardment they get,

To be fair, we have Wright going out with a small mid, a wing and a back flank coming in. Changes don’t have to be and often aren’t exactly like for like.
You have to have a guy able to come in to replace Wright who is actually in form or 100% fit and ready.

As I posted in the Dursma thread I would try Dursma as a mobile forward and put Kelly wing (apparently trained there preseason). Dursma may be able to spread an create space forward and he is not a bad mark for his size.

Hope Setters out, Jones in is untrue. (1) We need Will and (2) I like the small ball forward set up.

Ruck Goldy 80%, Drapes as the big forward target smashing packs, Langers and Package running riot on a quick deck at Marvel. I’m happy with that.

Sydney transitioned through the middle like a hot knife through butter. The Saints will have more trouble getting through their banner than our midfield if that trend continues.

A smaller, more defensive forward line will improve things. For that reason, I hope we play Hind forward.
It is an issue but I need to be convinced that Saints can move the ball like Sydney did. Running power was part of it (which Saints also have) but their system and IQ to move it quickly and change angles from back half and through the middle was absolutely elite.

Are Saints at this sort of level? We’ll find out!

Will be very interested to see if the imrpoved midfield form of Perk, Caldwell & Durham is further improved with the elite clearance handballs from Parish.

Could be game changing.

Jack Steele trained separate to main group due to illness. Monitoring closely according to Ch 7 news last night

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rumour on Blitz is Setterfield out for Jones. Nothing official yet though.
張敬軒 Vomit GIF

Sydney transitioned through the middle like a hot knife through butter. The Saints will have more trouble getting through their banner than our midfield if that trend continues.

A smaller, more defensive forward line will improve things. For that reason, I hope we play Hind forward.

We didn’t even go with a banner against the Swans, perhaps somewhat symbolic of our defensive efforts.

Butler and Caminiti to replace King and Henry for the Saints.

Butler has been a problem for us previously...
Butts will likely be very underdone, like Sinclair was last week. Missed basically the whole preseason and had just 7 disposals in the VFL last week, in his first hitout of any kind 6 months. Ideally would be in the VFL for another week or two.

Saints are coming off finals and are playing 5 kids from the past 3 drafts

We’re supposedly a “rebuilding team“ coming off an 11th placed finish - and we have only Hobbs from the past 3 drafts.

It’s actually 7 if you include Caminiti (who was just 19yo last season- he’s only 3 months older than Cadman), but to be fair, a lot of that is due to unavailability.

We’re at the stage where the only ones we have available to bring in now are old man Tom Campbell (who is break glass in case of emergency for Marshall), or a whole lot of kids, who have played one game between them.

Everyone other than Campbell who’s played more than 1 AFL game is either in the team this week, or unavailable for senior selection.

Hoping it’s a good game (for us 😝) and no injuries to either team. 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back