Preview Round 7: Essendon vs Collingwood, MCG, Anzac Day, 25/04/24 @ 3:20 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reid would be in defence, the two rucks will more likely play fwd
I am hoping with 2MP back we will be resting our rucks more and using Wright as ruck in our fwd 50.

Both Draper & Goldy are not great forwards but could be important decoys.

Jones is a real key today. Suspect moore will get him, frampton on 2mp, Maynard Stringer. Howe maybe Langford. Howe probably their weakest link this year, not in great form.

Pretty sure Brad would want to win this game. If Ess go in thinking they’ll get owned by Coll then that’s exactly what will happen. It’s the mental game that they need to get right. Put a team of positive thinkers out there and amazing what can be achieved. I think the ess game is changing for the better and there will be losses but there will be wins. It’s all part of their journey.🙌

That said

WIN IT!
GO DONS

lest we forget 🌺

CHANGES SINCE LAST TIME:

ESSENDON OUTS: Tsatas, Zerk-Thatcher, Setterfield, Perkins, Snelling, Bryan, Phillips, Weideman, Menzie, McDonald-Tipungwuti, Baldwin
ESSENDON INS: McKay, Duursma, Kelly, A. Davey, Draper, Wright, Goldstein, Caldwell, Gresham, Jones, Stringer

COLLINGWOOD OUTS: Adams, Markov, Ginnivan, McStay, Macrae
COLLINGWOOD INS: Schultz, Moore, N. Daicos, McCreery, Harrison

Good GOD those are some strong ins on both sides
Yeah but Collingwood are missing Ginnivan

CHANGES SINCE LAST TIME:

ESSENDON OUTS: Tsatas, Zerk-Thatcher, Setterfield, Perkins, Snelling, Bryan, Phillips, Weideman, Menzie, McDonald-Tipungwuti, Baldwin
ESSENDON INS: McKay, Duursma, Kelly, A. Davey, Draper, Wright, Goldstein, Caldwell, Gresham, Jones, Stringer

COLLINGWOOD OUTS: Adams, Markov, Ginnivan, McStay, Macrae
COLLINGWOOD INS: Schultz, Moore, N. Daicos, McCreery, Harrison

Good GOD those are some strong ins on both sides
How kissed on the dick are Collingwood injury wise.

I'm trying to go in with the mindset that a loss here isn't a big deal, we'll still be 4-3 at the end of the day. We don't beat these pricks very often either so prepared for another loss.

Like most here, seems we're going in to big, let's see if that ends up the case.

im actually happy with our set up. Stringer, Davey and Jones the last few weeks have bought a lot of pressure around our 50. Wright will stretch them and we play goldy / draper on and off the bench. Tactical sub just mid way through the 3rd (Draper).
Hoping our side looks like this for the most part
Laverde - McKay - McGrath (cox)
Heppell - Redman - Kelly
Duursma - Caldwell - Martin
Gresham - Jones - Davey
Stringer - Wright - Langford

Goldstein - Merrett - Parish
Draper - Durham - Hobbs (hind sub)

im actually happy with our set up. Stringer, Davey and Jones the last few weeks have bought a lot of pressure around our 50. Wright will stretch them and we play goldy / draper on and off the bench. Tactical sub just mid way through the 3rd (Draper).
Hoping our side looks like this for the most part
Laverde - McKay - McGrath (cox)
Heppell - Redman - Kelly
Duursma - Caldwell - Martin
Gresham - Jones - Davey
Stringer - Wright - Langford

Goldstein - Merrett - Parish
Draper - Durham - Hobbs (hind sub)
I agree, if we push deep and kick long into the 50 with good spread we may expose their lack of talls.

Langford and Jones could be freed up somewhat.

If we kick to short it could open us up for their intercept game.

Biggest key is clearances. We may not get our hands on it first but if we pressure like the Dogs game we were getting the actual clearance. I would be going hard on Degoey. Like Bont, Pies rarely lose when he has a good game.

Goldy is not the future. Draper could be. Let's stop pretending we are top 4. We are culture building, and Draper is one of those the club is backing to build that culture. Its not all the campion data, its also the bonds, the energy, the team.
So many posters here treat the team like they are playing a video game. Performance has its place, but there is more to it, especially when building a team from the no-man's land of the bombers from the last 20 years.
The same goes of Laverde. When we are in a position to replace a guy who will run through walls, I'm all for it. But we are so far from that club right now.
Go bombers. Hope Draper finds his mojo when we need it.
If we're being real, how are we building culture if we're giving games to a guy who had 4 disposals, gave away momentum shifting 50s, missed basic goals 20m out, didn't offer anywhere near enough around the ground, and then damn near cost us the game with stupidity BUT THEN provoked the media by doing a slide?

Would it not be appropriate to reward form?

Regards the forward pressure, isn't the idea to have talls spread out, so we can kick long to them, then the midfield pushes up and provides the pressure?
But then we get burnt the other way. We are the third worst team defending turnover behind WCE and North.

How kissed on the dick are Collingwood injury wise.

I'm trying to go in with the mindset that a loss here isn't a big deal, we'll still be 4-3 at the end of the day. We don't beat these pricks very often either so prepared for another loss.

Like most here, seems we're going in to big, let's see if that ends up the case.
Agreed, but 5-2 sounds much better than 4-3

If we're being real, how are we building culture if we're giving games to a guy who had 4 disposals, gave away momentum shifting 50s, missed basic goals 20m out, didn't offer anywhere near enough around the ground, and then damn near cost us the game with stupidity BUT THEN provoked the media by doing a slide?

I agree.

What we are really trying to build is being hard to play against. It is the onfield actions that will change our fortunes. Manic tackling, gut running, smart defence. Seems Scott is very action/outcome focussed. We have heard words for too long.

Draper was a liability last week and could have easily cost us the game. Gets a chance today but if poor I hope he is subbed early.

Goldy is our no 1 ruck no question, by a long way. Up to Draper to take it off him. Form and discipline must be rewarded.

That is where the talls need to hold marks. We mark it there is zero rebound.

Jones has been huge in this area.
Yes if this is going to work they need to be clunking marks left right and centre today. But It’s low percentage to expect your talls to mark enough bombs inside 50 to negate rebound off turnover… which is the number one metric the top teams all dominate in vs the lower sides

I am hoping with 2MP back we will be resting our rucks more and using Wright as ruck in our fwd 50.

Jones is a real key today. Suspect moore will get him, frampton on 2mp, Maynard Stringer. Howe maybe Langford. Howe probably their weakest link this year, not in great form.
goldy is handier than draper up forward though, he can kick a drop punt

I guess he provides more between the four walls than just stats.
I also think they believe in his best, and that we are more likely to get it playing seniors than in the VFL.
I agree that he us out of form, and based on that is lucky to be in the team. All I'm pointing at is that the coach has been clear that when fit he is in the team.

Agree with the ruck work inside 50. Wright has to do all of it so we can set up behind the footy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back