Preview Round 1: Essendon vs Hawthorne, MCG, Saturday 16/03/24 @ 1:45 PM

Winner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Their 3rd and 4th best small forwards. Forgot Breust and Moore.

I guess in a broader sense it’s a question of do we think Heppell is smart and canny enough to make up for being a step behind and is he a better option than the bigger and less agile Laverde, or the very green Roberts or Lual.

For the former, I doubt it, but he’s probably a better option than the latter in this specific instance.
It's a lack of pace problem we face in the backline generally.

I don't think we're wanting for options but the coaches are obviously more interested in Heppell's leadership, marking and decision making, even if he is a bit slower these days. Kicking is marginally better than Laverde's these days I think, but I think Laverde is quicker. I'd prefer Hind at the moment.

If Ridley were there to control the backline I don't think Scott would select Heppell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a lack of pace problem we face in the backline generally.

I don't think we're wanting for options but the coaches are obviously more interested in Heppell's leadership, marking and decision making, even if he is a bit slower these days. Kicking is marginally better than Laverde's these days I think, but I think Laverde is quicker. I'd prefer Hind at the moment.

If Ridley were there to control the backline I don't think Scott would select Heppell.

I’m pretty comfortable with that defensive group if you sub out Ridley for Heppell, but it’s predicated on bringing the heat in the middle which allows them to take proactive position.

To be honest if you let them run riot I don’t think there will be a lot of sides that will be able to go with all of a trust, Moore, Ginnivan and Watson, one is likely to be leaking out the back at all times.

I’m pretty comfortable with that defensive group if you sub out Ridley for Heppell, but it’s predicated on bringing the heat in the middle which allows them to take proactive position.

To be honest if you let them run riot I don’t think there will be a lot of sides that will be able to go with all of a trust, Moore, Ginnivan and Watson, one is likely to be leaking out the back at all times.
Agreed. I reckon this could be quite challenging.

Okay, I know it isn't a great team but let's look at the opposition.

Their defence has one key defender, who wouldn't get a game in ours. He's that bad. Sicily will have to take Langford which leaves bloody Scrimshaw on Jones or Stringer. And not to mention Frost on Wright.

Their forward line has two guns in Lewis and Moore. Lewis has historically struggled against physical defenders like McKay. Pidge vs Moore will be a good battle. After that they have the softest player on an AFL list in Chol, Watson, who looks very good in fairness but his first game, one trick pony Ginnivan and Hardwick.

Their midfield head to head shades ours. Newcombe I'd a gun, Ward looks good and Nash is big and strong. We'll need to support Merrett as Maginness will.almosy certainly go to him.

We still should win. If we don't it'll be very concerning.

Would have preferred Hind in but lets see.

Not worried about the backline. Jones & 2MP must start taking marks or the ball will rebound all game.
Pretty even. Was in our favour til Parish out.

Think Langers could have a good day. Bombers just.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back