VFL Round 1: Essendon vs Brisbane, Hangar, Saturday 23/03, 1:05 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

So as Eth mentioned Brisbane where a far more experienced side with 16 AFL listed players compared to our 8 and we had a lot of first game VFL listed guys as well. In general we where smaller and less developed.

The fact that we have pretty much cleaned out the VFL list again will result in some inconsistent performances while they sort out who is who and what is what. Looking at today I think this bunch look better than what we started with at the beginning of 2022 but it will take games to get on the same page. Hately looked solid in the middle. O'Neill had a quiet day numbers wise but had 8 tackles.

We looked to be trying to move the footy quickly but lack of experience and some disconnect hurt us at times. They also had some good targets up forward while we had Caddy and Weideman .

We played a decent first half although we did not make the most of the wind in the second quarter. They smoked us in the third with a strong wind. We played out the game okay and won the last quarter.

Sam Weideman. Took 2 good marks. That's about it. Sprayed his only easy shot at goal.

Lewis Hayes . Got some of thee footy but was under pressure defending various Brisbane forwards.

Nick Bryan . Slow start. Good second quarter. Ended up with the same hit outs as Fort but Fort was the better ruck on the day IMO.

Nate Caddy . Took a couple of nice marks and kicked 2 goals. Ran hard. Work rate good. Work in progress but he looks okay. My view is he is not ready yet. Will take a run of VFL games to find the consistency.

Luamon Lual . Was reasonably pleased got some touches and did some good defensive stuff. One bad turnover but a nice start.

Jayden Davey . Couple of scintillating runs with one ending in a great goal but generally quiet. Would like to see him make a few more tackles but it was okay for his first actual senior game.

Archie Roberts . Pretty good on the wing and around half back. Knows how to find the footy. Had a few stoppage clearances. Will press for selection sooner rather than later if this form keeps up.

Vigo Visentini . A few good moments. Will be a slow burn but he has some tools to work with.

You would hope that on another day where the seniors weren’t playing interstate later on the same day and we didn’t have a late withdrawal and a suspension we would also have 3 or 4 of Laverde, Hind, Davey, Tsatas, Shiel and maybe even Heppell there to stiffen the lineup up a little bit.

Keeping in mind that Brisbane had the AFL bye so a full compliment.

Jeka is also a bit of a loss that we haven’t really recruited to cover, quality VFL player that can play both ends.

So as Eth mentioned Brisbane where a far more experienced side with 16 AFL listed players compared to our 8 and we had a lot of first game VFL listed guys as well. In general we where smaller and less developed.

The fact that we have pretty much cleaned out the VFL list again will result in some inconsistent performances while they sort out who is who and what is what. Looking at today I think this bunch look better than what we started with at the beginning of 2022 but it will take games to get on the same page. Hately looked solid in the middle. O'Neill had a quiet day numbers wise but had 8 tackles.

We looked to be trying to move the footy quickly but lack of experience and some disconnect hurt us at times. They also had some good targets up forward while we had Caddy and Weideman .

We played a decent first half although we did not make the most of the wind in the second quarter. They smoked us in the third with a strong wind. We played out the game okay and won the last quarter.

Sam Weideman. Took 2 good marks. That's about it. Sprayed his only easy shot at goal.

Lewis Hayes . Got some of thee footy but was under pressure defending various Brisbane forwards.

Nick Bryan . Slow start. Good second quarter. Ended up with the same hit outs as Fort but Fort was the better ruck on the day IMO.

Nate Caddy . Took a couple of nice marks and kicked 2 goals. Ran hard. Work rate good. Work in progress but he looks okay. My view is he is not ready yet. Will take a run of VFL games to find the consistency.

Luamon Lual . Was reasonably pleased got some touches and did some good defensive stuff. One bad turnover but a nice start.

Jayden Davey . Couple of scintillating runs with one ending in a great goal but generally quiet. Would like to see him make a few more tackles but it was okay for his first actual senior game.

Archie Roberts . Pretty good on the wing and around half back. Knows how to find the footy. Had a few stoppage clearances. Will press for selection sooner rather than later if this form keeps up.

Vigo Visentini . A few good moments. Will be a slow burn but he has some tools to work with.
Any harm bringing caddy for a taste whilst wright is out? Or is he that far off still it wouldnt be worth it?

How far off is Hayes? Even if just tasked to match a tall and stop them

Any harm bringing caddy for a taste whilst wright is out? Or is he that far off still it wouldnt be worth it?

How far off is Hayes? Even if just tasked to match a tall and stop them
Normally I would say no on Caddy but given the other options are Weideman and Jones I could go with giving Caddy an early look so he can see the standard. He leads hard and his second efforts are good. He may not do a lot but he will put a lot of effort in.

Hayes still has some work to do on the strong types and had some battles with the Lions forwards at times but he could also be given a look.

Normally I would say no on Caddy but given the other options are Weideman and Jones I could go with giving Caddy an early look so he can see the standard. He leads hard and his second efforts are good. He may not do a lot but he will put a lot of effort in.

Hayes still has some work to do on the strong types and had some battles with the Lions forwards at times but he could also be given a look.
No king so not the worst week

Caminiti: Lav
Sharman: Hayes
Membrey: McKay
Owens: Redman

Did he play on Logan morris?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back