Preview Round 1: Essendon vs Hawthorne, MCG, Saturday 16/03/24 @ 1:45 PM

Winner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As usual half the thread is a whinge about team selection. I'm pumped to see the club back in action this weekend. Looking forward to this season and all it brings. Good luck to the boys on Saturday
Thanks Dyson.

Doesn't look like Brad has changed at all since his North days. He wants 8 years of patience, if that's the case then play talented young players then mate? Not a bloke who's best work these days is with charity. Heppell should have retired two years ago.

Such a disappointment this team selection, Hobbs should be in over Guelfi. He should have been given a spot the moment Parish went out. Hind, over Heppell. I don't mind Kelly in, but I'd also have him out happily. I loved the wing combination of Martin and Durham last year.

Thanks Dyson.

Doesn't look like Brad has changed at all since his North days. He wants 8 years of patience, if that's the case then play talented young players then mate? Not a bloke who's best work these days is with charity. Heppell should have retired two years ago.

Such a disappointment this team selection, Hobbs should be in over Guelfi. He should have been given a spot the moment Parish went out. Hind, over Heppell. I don't mind Kelly in, but I'd also have him out happily. I loved the wing combination of Martin and Durham last year.
exactly the point of norf supporting buddy of mine said. brad's a fine coach but he refused to play youth while he coached at north. some of his selections last year (such as keeping dyson in the side while he was playing shocking football week after week) showed that it was reasonably accurate.

Im a bit rusty. How angry should I be?
angry office GIF

Angry Office GIF

Angry Computer GIF

exactly the point of norf supporting buddy of mine said. brad's a fine coach but he refused to play youth while he coached at north. some of his selections last year (such as keeping dyson in the side while he was playing shocking football week after week) showed that it was reasonably accurate.
I remember him addressing this question a while back, saying that he'd evolved and learned from it. But it doesn't appear to be the case at all.

Thanks Dyson.

Hobbs may not be fit/ready.
Im ok with not naming guys with limited preseason (see Draper, Shiel as well).

With Kelly more earmarked for wing, im ok with Hepp in + Lav out. they're probably the two i don't think we can afford in the same backline due to pace.

Kelly can also lock down a small and the hawks are playing quite small with Breust, Ginnivan, Watson and Moore.

I'll be judging Brad later in the year if Heppell and co are keeping out fit, younger options.

6-8 goals from Langford and Wright needs to happen, we should be good enough for 14 goals against this Hawkes defense, if we struggle to score vs these guys we will struggle bad all year.
When is Jones going to be expected to kick goals? He barely has a scoring shot. Sure he does some things up the ground, but it's not enough. If he goes goalless again or kicks one goal, then Caddy needs to come in next week.

We were one game inside the 8 and had 4 finals sides as well as a team we've beaten once in a decade at their home ground.

In what world is that a draw "easier than most"? Because we had the bottom 2?

a cop out Ethan, and an excuse. PS it was 3 finals sides, GWS, Sydney and Collingwood. The rest didn't make finals, and in Gelongs case they finished below us and WB one win above us.

• R18 - Geelong - yeah sure, likely loss at GMHBA, But by 80 points lol.? They finished BELOW us on the ladder.
  • R19 - Dogs - winnable yet we get smashed. Finished one game above us on the ladder.
  • R20 - Swans - we own them in Melbourne at Marvel. yet lose.
  • R21 - beat West coast by a point. lol.
  • R22 - Beat Nth by a couple of goals lol.
  • R23 - annihilated by GWS. Just 100 points or so.
  • R24 - destroyed by Collingwood. Just 70 points this time.

Call me a pessimist but that last 6-7 games was disgusting to watch. IDC if we are young or not. Losing in the manner we did was insipid. We had a chance coming 5th at the time and we completely cooked it.

The only team near the top 4 in the above was Collingwood. Everyone else 7th or worse. Like i said an easier draw than most at the time.

Last edited:
When is Jones going to be expected to kick goals? He barely has a scoring shot. Sure he does some things up the ground, but it's not enough. If he goes goalless again or kicks one goal, then Caddy needs to come in next week.
Yeah big year for him, I think he can play, when I watch him he looks almost scared, doubts himself big time, has zero confidence in himself, hopefully he gets 1 early tomorrow and can really settle.

a cop out Ethan, and an excuse.

• R18 - Geelong - yeah sure, likely loss at GMHBA, But by 80 points lol.? They finished BELOW us on the ladder.
  • R19 - Dogs - winnable yet we get smashed. Finished one game above us on the ladder.

Call me a pessimist but that last 6-7 games was disgusting to watch. IDC if we are young or not. Losing in the manner we did was insipid. We had a chance coming 5th at the time and we completely cooked it.

The only team near the top 4 in the above was Collingwood. Everyone else 7th or worse. Like i said an easier draw than most at the time.
You're a pessimist.

You said "easier than most". That's utter bullshit and you know it. Four finals sides, including the premiers in the last 7 games isn't easier than most. It's tough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

a cop out Ethan, and an excuse. PS it was 3 finals sides, GWS, Sydney and Collingwood. The rest didn't make finals, and in Gelongs case they finished below us and WB one win above us.

We are not. Our starting 18 is apparently a couple of months away from being THREE years older than Hawthorn. A lot of fans have bought into the youth myth the club is trying to sell, but it’s blatantly false.

To quote Chris Lewis (cricketer) after not even making the initial 37 man squad for England CWC in 1999

"The selectors are full of ****!"

Menzie and Guelf did nothing in the practice matches

You need skilled kickers and man markers in the backline this does not mean "Puke it up" Pidge and "Hack and dump kick" Heppell

No Hind for outside run and Hobbs was BOG and played 4Q in the VFL sim so don't give me this "not 100% fit BS" when we have no DP3 - RIDICULOUS
Are you really getting to the verge of round 1 and feeling upset that McGrath hasn’t been dropped?

He's our 4th tall imo.
Wright, Langford and stringer will get attention.

he and perkins should be grabbing this game and capitalising on having their 4th/5th defenders.

You're a pessimist.

You said "easier than most". That's utter bullshit and you know it. Four finals sides, including the premiers in the last 7 games isn't easier than most. It's tough.

what four finals sides are you talking about? Or i am i completely cooked?

There's only three? C'wood GWS and Sydney.

1 was the premier, the other 2 were 7th and 8th.

the far majority of the teams that embarrassed us in the last 7 rounds of 2023, either didn't make finals or made it in by a bee's dick in 7th or 8th spot.

How is any Essendon supporter not a pessimist by now rofl.

what four finals sides are you talking about? Or i am i completely cooked?

There's only three? C'wood GWS and Sydney.

1 was the premier, the other 2 were 7th and 8th.

the far majority of the teams that embarrassed us in the last 7 rounds of 2023, either didn't make finals or made it in by a bee's dick in 7th or 8th spot.

How is any Essendon supporter not a pessimist by now rofl.
Yeah I thought Dogs made it for some reason. Still, two bogey sides who we have beaten once apiece in the last decade.

How much of that is Heppell and Goldstein?
If i look at the age brackets.

Older than 28.5
Hawks - Sicily, Frost, Amon, Impey, Breust, Gunston
Dons - Goldy, Heppell, Stringer, Kelly

24+
Hawks - Chol. Hardwick, Nash, Scrimhaw, Lewis, Reeves, Worpel, Moore,
Dons - McGrath, Setterfield, Mckay, Redman, Gresham, Guelfi, Wright, Merrett, Langford

Less than 24
Hawks - Finn, Ward, Ginnivan, Newcombe, Weddle, Mass, MacKenzie, MacDonald, Watson
Dons - Reid, Tsatas, Caldwell, martin, Perkins, Cox, Durham, Menzie, Duursma, Jones

In the oldest bracket, we're not reliant on any of those guys other than depth. Fit Draper, Ridley, Hobbs & Parish would see them out.
CJ and Day are the two major outs i'd see ahead of the hawks. None cover the guys in that bracket for them. So there's a heavy defensive reliance on older players.

We could very easily play them with a side minus anyone over 29...depending on which stringer turns up.
Hawks are a 10 goal loss without all 6 in that bracket.

Some perspective on the age thing.

Did you? If so, can you explain how Kelly was able to turn things around so quickly and miraculously recover from that hammy - all without any game time? And why, after playing in the VFL, was Hobbs deemed not fit enough?
I have and I have a good track watcher who is at all the training.
For a start two different positions. There are a few that have been playing midfield / forward that Hobbs is competing with .
Kelly has been wing / defence . Not as much competition and may be needed to cover one of the Hawks small forwards.
Kelly has done more training loads despite not playing the practice match , which I understand he could have but they thought it was better to push him though a strong training block due to him having a solid base of match sim.
They could have gone Hind and no risks for sure but the medical team have ticked him off and he has done all the training loads .
From what I was told Kelly’s running loads where about 50% more than Hobbs GPS numbers from the practice match .

He has played youth with us . It is just some of people’s favourite youth did not get picked. He has had no issues playing Davey / Tsatas / Cox / Perkins/ Menzie and now Reid .

Hobbs has missed because he is almost 100% and has been plenty playing midfield/ forward to pick from.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back