Game Day Round 2 - Sydney v Essendon, SCG, Saturday 23/3/24, 7.30pm AEDST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Round 02.jpg

Form Line.jpg

SYDNEY

There's a great universal joy to be had when Collingwood is made to look like a bunch of mugs. Their 16th flag unfurling was just such an occasion.
The Swans meticulously dismantled Collingwood, consigning them to a winless start to the season.
The Swans are worthy flag favourites right now, and when you realize that they are still missing names such as Mills, Parker, and Adams, there is further improvement to be had.
Issac Heeney is almost single-handedly filling the void in the Swans engine room and is likely leading the Brownlow count right now. He's getting plenty of the footy, and disposing of it mercurially. 10 score involvements and 2 goals against the Pies is no slouch.
Logan McDonald slotted four goals, with three of them from the goalsquare, whilst Chad Warner put away three majors to go with his 27 touches and seven clearances.
Errol Gulden stamped his mark as arguably the best wingman in the game with 30 touches and 650m gained.
Rowbottom decking De Goey twice was very funny.

COLLINGWOOD 10.9 69
def. by
SYDNEY 15.12 102

SYDNEY BEST: Heeney, Warner, Gulden, McDonald, Rowbottom, McCartin
SYDNEY GOALS: McDonald 4, Warner 3, Heeney 2, Rowbottom, Papley, Amartey, McLean, Wicks, McInerney

-----------

ESSENDON

* Hawthorne.
It's hard to take a lot out of a performance like that as it was so similar to our best and worst of 2023.
The weather sitting at a hot and sunny 32 degrees probably didn't help us, either.
Jake Stringer sitting in the forward 50 is a dynamic presence that's just too hard to defend, and he cleaned up with four goals.
Archie Perkins had a coming-of-age performance, with 24 touches, 2 goals, and 12 tackles. After so much discussion as to where he fits in our best side over the pre-season, he's just decided for us.
Matt Guelfi was tasked with curtailing James Sicily's influence, and the Hawks captain gave away the first goal to him. He then got under his skin, Sicily gave away a free, and then sprayed a kick out of defence straight to Wright who scored a goal.
Our defence of transition is still alarmingly bad, and the Hawks just walked it through us numerous times, with Massimo D'Ambrosio becoming a serious problem for us in his first outing not wearing our colours.
Whilst the Hawks were quick and precise moving the ball away from a turnover, we looked like we were running through treacle, and were only saved from further punishment because the Hawks can't kick for goal.
That said, as the day wore on and players got tired, Kyle Langford popped up in the third quarter and ended up with 3 goals.
A lowlight is the luckless Zach Reid once again on the sidelines after what was deemed hamstring "awareness" turned into a 6-8 week injury, along with a minor 2-week injury to Guelfi.
Soft tissue injuries look to be a recurring theme once again this year.

ESSENDON 17.5 107
def.
HAWTHORN 11.17 83

ESSENDON BEST:
Perkins, Stringer, Durham, McKay, McGrath, Merrett
ESSENDON GOALS: Stringer 4, Langford 3, Wright, Perkins, Guelfi 2, Menzie, Caldwell, Durham, Gresham

LineUps.jpg

Round02.jpg

SYDNEY INS: Corey Warner
SYDNEY OUTS: Robbie Fox (Injured)

ESSENDON INS: Jayden Laverde, Sam Draper, Darcy Parish, Nick Hind
ESSENDON OUTS: Zach Reid, Matt Guelfi (Both injured), Mason Redman (Suspended), Harrison Jones (Omitted)

LATE CHANGE:
Darcy Parish
(ESS) replaced in selected side by Ben Hobbs, Dylan Shiel is added as an emergency.

milestones.jpg

[PLAYERCARD]jake kelly[/PLAYERCARD] 150.jpg

Last Time.jpg

ROUND 20, 2023
Marvel Stadium
29/7/2023

ESSENDON 15.9 99
def. by
SYDNEY 15.11 101

---------

ESSENDON GOALS: Langford 5, Wright 4, Caldwell, Hind, Perkins, Durham, Martin, Menzie
SYDNEY GOALS: Amartey 4, Wicks 3, Heeney, Papley 2, McInerney, Chad Warner, McDonald, Gulden

ESSENDON BEST: Merrett, Heppell, Parish, Hind, Caldwell, Langford, Wright
SYDNEY BEST: Gulden, Lloyd, Chad Warner, Amartey, Cunningham

----------

CHANGES SINCE LAST TIME:

ESSENDON OUTS: Bryan, Hobbs, Zerk-Thatcher, Phillips, Redman, Guelfi, Snelling, Davey
ESSENDON INS: McKay, Tsatas, Duursma, Stringer, Gresham, Goldstein, Setterfield, Draper

SYDNEY OUTS: Fox, Mills, Parker, Clarke, Franklin
SYDNEY INS: Jordon, Grundy, Roberts, Melican, Corey Warner

tip.jpg

While I suspect we will put in a far better showing than most expect, it's hard to see us coming away with a win against this Sydney side. They are extremely well-drilled and are on a ripping run of form right now. Games between these two sides are more often than not thrilling, tight, and exciting match-ups, and whilst they're not great for the old ticker, they are always a highlight in the fixture.

The Swans have had a brilliant start to 2024 and are worthy flag favourites, but we aren't quite at their level yet. It will come, but it won't be tonight.

I would love to be proven wrong, though.

Sydney by 4.

Last edited:
Dane Rampe kisses his dad on the lips pass it on

No I’m not over the climbing of the post

Dane Rampe kisses his dad on the lips pass it on

No I’m not over the climbing of the post

You saying he's got some hillbilly blood in him?

Also lol at Blakey, puts McKernan to shame. :p

Full disclosure. I'm going to melt if we lose because of a dodgy umpiring decision. Sydney at the SCG is where I draw the line.

But unfortunately I think we have too many out to trouble Sydney.

Interested to see how the group innovates with some key outs. Take the game on, keep it together and give it your best.
Go dons!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gee I’m a dumb arse. I have a 4K tv and last week because I was watching Kayo through the PlayStation I didn’t realise I needed a 4K hdmi cable. I was thinking gee the picture quality looks crap. I’m watching the app straight from the tv now and wow is it a world of difference.

At a birthday party but they’ve got it on the telly. Go well Bombers, I don’t want to be bad company tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back