Preview Round 21 - Essendon Bombers vs West Coast Eagles - Saturday August 5th - 1:45 pm - Marvel (except for most of the characters from Spider Man) Stadium.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My view is you should play the most in form 22 available. In not doing so, we're now 13th. Which is closer to where we're at - but I think we definitively missed a chance on giving younger players some experience.
Watching the VFL as closely as I have I would say maybe only Wanganeen and Baldwin have been a bit unlucky. The flip side of that is he could have easily dropped Perkins and he has got Cox in the side before his form was actually that great in the VFL.

My view is you should play the most in form 22 available. In not doing so, we're now 13th. Which is closer to where we're at - but I think we definitively missed a chance on giving younger players some experience.
I believe we did play the best 22 in form

We have to agree to disagree

The time to play the kids isnt when finals is a very realistic option

Its when it isnt, that is now

I believe we did play the best 22 in form

We have to agree to disagree

The time to play the kids isnt when finals is a very realistic option

Its when it isnt, that is now
technically we can still make it. we need to really steamroll the two worst teams in the comp....but then we don't do that.
can really afford one more loss from here and still make it, and you'd wager the pies won't be messing with form going into rd24.

It's catch 22 though. the next two are exactly when you rest a few for GWS/Pies, give them some exposure, etc. but they're still danger games because we're essendon :p

Shannon Hurn retiring. Have to hope that doesn't pump them up. Save that for Round 24, Weagles

technically we can still make it. we need to really steamroll the two worst teams in the comp....but then we don't do that.
can really afford one more loss from here and still make it, and you'd wager the pies won't be messing with form going into rd24.

It's catch 22 though. the next two are exactly when you rest a few for GWS/Pies, give them some exposure, etc. but they're still danger games because we're essendon :p
Its not a strong likelihood now

Losing 3 games in a row and sitting 13th (none of the 3 sides that have beat us are currently top 7 either) should be a sign that finals is not likely

We should be playing more kids from now on.

one of the 3 sides that have beat us are currently top 7 either

* me you make up the weirdest metrics.

Geelong and Sydney were the Grand Final teams less than 12 months ago, Geelong also has the 4th best percentage in the AFL, let's not pretend they're utter trash.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

* me you make up the weirdest metrics.

Geelong and Sydney were the Grand Final teams less than 12 months ago, Geelong also has the 4th best percentage in the AFL, let's not pretend they're utter trash.
How is it making up something when its a fact?

Never said they were utter trash, just none currently sit top 7

Watching the VFL as closely as I have I would say maybe only Wanganeen and Baldwin have been a bit unlucky. The flip side of that is he could have easily dropped Perkins and he has got Cox in the side before his form was actually that great in the VFL.

I think Massimo not even being an emergency on the weekend was a bit strange. Monty especially earlier in the year when our defenders were all injured and he was consistently top 5 in the VFL. Baldwin, as you said. Voss, again probably earlier in the year, but he appears to have lost hope. Tsatas should be in this week.

Agree with the fact he could have dropped Perkins - but he hasn't been as bad as Weideman/Heppell/Philllips have been throughout the year who weren't dropped.

With Cox I totally agree, would have rather seen Baldwin or Monty rewarded for a longer patch of form.

I get we can't just throw out a team of 22 x 21 year olds, but there have been a few odd selections for mine.

I think Massimo not even being an emergency on the weekend was a bit strange. Monty especially earlier in the year when our defenders were all injured and he was consistently top 5 in the VFL. Baldwin, as you said. Voss, again probably earlier in the year, but he appears to have lost hope. Tsatas should be in this week.

Agree with the fact he could have dropped Perkins - but he hasn't been as bad as Weideman/Heppell/Philllips have been throughout the year who weren't dropped.

With Cox I totally agree, would have rather seen Baldwin or Monty rewarded for a longer patch of form.

I get we can't just throw out a team of 22 x 21 year olds, but there have been a few odd selections for mine.
Tsatas does not need to be in. He may get a game but he is also physically under developed . He has missed a massive amount of footy in the last two years. He has basically played 12 games in two years. He is not really ready. His fitness levels where below average pre season and he was in the back end of the time trials and then he got injured. His form has been good in the VFL but it is more the fact that he is a seriously good player more than the fact he is ready for AFL level. He was good again on Sunday but he had his issues with the bigger Swans midfielders as well.

D'Ambrosio has a big issue with his ball watching which effects his ability to defend. It is a real issue.

Even when Voss was playing okay there where big issues with his game. I expect him to be delisted . Most over hyped player on our list. Slow , can not take a pack mark and is not the smartest player going around. We drafted him in the hope he may become a big strong midfielder which he had no idea about and he is simply an average VFL forward.

Heppell has been better than Perkins over the whole season.

Phillips was getting a game while Bryan was building his form in the VFL after he missed some early games and is now getting a game due to Draper being out. Not sure what you want here. Bryan is also still underdeveloped as well. It is good he is getting a game and playing well but he has not been an absolute lock.

Yes there are a few strange selections at times but if you look at the board of any club you will see the same. Supporters complaining about this player not getting a game or how that player is still in the side.

They played Weideman pretty much until they had confidence that Bryan could play some sort of role. If we actually had another KPF playing he would have been dropped well before he was.

Baldwin is the only one I feel has been genuinely unlucky not to be picked.

Last edited:
After some thoughts I came away with wanted changes of.

Out: Laverde (Manage) Kelly (omit) Davey (Omit/Sub)

In: Baldwin, Wanganeen, Tsatas

FB: McGrath Baldwin Cox

CHB: Redman Zerk-Thatcher Hind

C: Durham Caldwell Martin

CHF: Wanganeen Langford Perkins

FF: Menzie Wright Guelfi

R: Bryan Parish Merrett

Int: Hobbs Tsatas Heppell Phillips

Sub: Davey Jr

After some thoughts I came away with wanted changes of.

Out: Laverde (Manage) Kelly (omit) Davey (Omit/Sub)

In: Baldwin, Wanganeen, Tsatas

FB: McGrath Baldwin Cox

CHB: Redman Zerk-Thatcher Hind

C: Durham Caldwell Martin

CHF: Wanganeen Langford Perkins

FF: Menzie Wright Guelfi

R: Bryan Parish Merrett

Int: Hobbs Tsatas Heppell Phillips

Sub: Davey Jr
i get the feeling this is what we'll see
quite possibly Weid over Baldwin though.
But i like it.

Alternatively, might find Baldwin and Weid in with Tsatas as sub.
And we rotate Baldwin/Weid between fwd and back to see who fits better where.

Kelly (omit)

Frustrated Headache GIF by Kelly Clarkson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back