Preview Round 23 - Essendon Bombers vs The Greater Western Sydney - Saturday, August 19th - 4:45 pm @ Unsponsored Stadium, NSW

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actively want him to leave. Imagine coming into selections after the game he just had and watching Brad go with Zerk, Laverde and Kelly over you.

Just pure idiocy by Brad.
Baldwin's field kicking is a real weapon and he reads the play well, proactive rather than reactive.

The Dogs could do really well with him.

Baldwin's field kicking is a real weapon and he reads the play well, proactive rather than reactive.

The Dogs could do really well with him.
any club with half a mind offers him a good contract and game time, he didn't have too many possessions but he had a lethal kick last weekend which we've missed for weeks
What did Brad say about not compromising the long term for success now?

A retiring Phillips plays and a raw Bryan doesn't. Absolute lies out of that man's mouth.
it's ridiculous to even consider it, such a shame

So much for not jeopardizing the long term for the short term.

Bringing in Jake Stringer after a month of no footy at all screams hail-mary to me in trying to make finals.

Argument to be made that bringing in half cooked Stringer off the back of no match practise so he will obviously play like crap is actually a great way to ensure we won’t play finals.

So we lose Baldwin, not happy but was probably always going to happen, probably to be expected.

We lose our too good for VFL ruck, do not like, just keep him in seniors.

We get a first game up off an injury Stringer. I love what he can do but it's becoming rarer and rarer and is only going to get worse as he ages. Won't be around when we are contending.

Caldwell who was just rested apparently doesn't get back in (he will play, just more Brad late mindgames).

Just letting this season end in such a whimper, probably with the nice added insult of Carlton winning a flag.

Thank god NFL starts soon.

How on earth are Caldwell and Setterfield declared fit but not playing….
On the surface, the selections seem crazy.

It is not all Brad, there is a whole selection team. Would love some transparency, there must be a lot that goes into it eg, training form/loads/niggles etc.

It may make sense if we had that info, but will never see light of day.

Apologies for the intrusion - I come in peace. Does anyone know why Setterfield is not getting a game?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

So we lose Baldwin, not happy but was probably always going to happen, probably to be expected.

We lose our too good for VFL ruck, do not like, just keep him in seniors.

We get a first game up off an injury Stringer. I love what he can do but it's becoming rarer and rarer and is only going to get worse as he ages. Won't be around when we are contending.

Caldwell who was just rested apparently doesn't get back in (he will play, just more Brad late mindgames).

Just letting this season end in such a whimper, probably with the nice added insult of Carlton winning a flag.

Thank god NFL starts soon.
Wash your mouth out!! ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apologies for the intrusion - I come in peace. Does anyone know why Setterfield is not getting a game?

VFL had a poorly timed bye so hasn’t really had the opportunity to ram the case home.

Came back for one on restricted duties, then a bye

This is a pretty good indication of what we can expect over the coming years, for better or worse (and I’m not complaining).

What are Brad’s selection heuristics on the evidence?

• Seniority matters. Runs on the board have a higher weighting than recent form. Perhaps a belief in returning to form in the AFL instead of being dropped
  • Younger players need to substantially outperform senior players to force their way in, if there’s competition for positions
  • Middle-rung established players, when returning from injury, are not an automatic in necessarily
  • Top players returning from injury are an automatic in but only if proven to be fully fit and ready
  • Some players who are omitted will be “soft dropped” by being named as sub but then late-replaced as sub on game day. Possibly done to ease the landing
  • Accomodating the above, the team structure will generally be maintained on the field by moving some players around
  • While “playing players in their best position” is important, it may bend to:
  1. Accomodate gaps in the selected side
  2. Fill gaps that arise during the course of the match
  3. Experiment with players in different positions over the course of a small (?) stretch of games
Observations:
  • Preferred back six (current) is largely settled, barring injuries
  • Midfield group is a bigger core of players and, given various injuries, has been less settled but well-stocked at most times, also noting the younger age profiles of some midfielders
  • The forward structure is mostly settled but the players haven’t been due to injuries and other factors, including Weid’s form
  • The small forwards, except for Menzie, have rotated a lot due to lack of solid 2nd/3rd options at this time

You’d think Baldwin played well enough to get 6 Brownlow votes against North the way some people are reacting.

He had some good moments absolutely, but he had a pretty minimal presence otherwise.

Also, of course they’ve gone out to make finals. Why wouldn’t you? Making and playing in a finals game would be gold for the likes of Hobbs, Menzie and Tsatas if we make it. It’s 100% the right call

Bringing in Jake Stringer after a month of no footy at all screams hail-mary to me in trying to make finals.
He left Cox in the side. That is sacrificing short term.

The change I would like, is 1 of Kelly/Laverde/Heppell/Cox for Baldwin. Helps with r50 disposal, whilst losing minimal aerial prescence.

Caldwell / Stringer is a toss of the coin for me. Tsatas would lose his spot for both to come in, so I'm happy they went with one of them.

Bryan / Phillips I don't mind so much, as long as it has been communicated to Bryan his role for next season, and we don't lose him.

coming off a long term injury (first week he's been fit iirc) but i've got nfi why he wasn't picked - i assume Beerfish's response is on the money though

History suggests he takes a game or two coming back from injury to have an impact

Baldwin dropped. No Caldwell or Setters.. surely our VFL is top of the ladder and we are using them for a finals run? Oh…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back