Preview Round 23 - Essendon Bombers vs The Greater Western Sydney - Saturday, August 19th - 4:45 pm @ Unsponsored Stadium, NSW

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And kick the bloke in the balls that has played all year and given his all . Yes that is a real great way to build a good culture. It is two games. Different story if it is 9 weeks ago .
Cmon… we aren’t kicking anyone in the balls or marching the dude to the gallows.. it’s not like he’s Dean Cox either... If the coaches think he is the best option to win us 2 games and get us into the finals I’m all for it. I laughed at the suggestion he’d be picked for a farewell game against his old side.. we are still playing to win

We are down to two games left and he has had a long run in the senior side now . There is not a lot more to learn in two games .

You may indeed be right. I just think about all those times in the last decade plus where we've lamented that the kids aren't 'match hardened' enough, or they run out of puff late in seasons because they haven't had enough experiencing slogging through an AFL season.

Maybe an easier workload gets him tip-top for next season

I think what you get with Flip is continued effort, which is obviously something Scott values, and for good reason.

I would hope we are able to retain Bryan, as he and Draper compliment each other well.
With Flip retiring I think Bryan stays for sure. Big opportunity for him next season.

They still have to have a go until it is over . Otherwise it is just giving in because it is too hard . New coach gets a look at if anything has changed and who will be in the gun going forward.
I would have thought there would be greater benefit in seeing if they could find a suitable match up for Baldwin to assess him for the future; there are other players named who we know plenty about already and are probably not going to improve. Also, bringing back Stringer who we know is not real good cold... I struggle with that pick...

I’ve got a funny feeling it’ll be the exact same as his third last AFL game ever
You need reasonable back up for Draper if he doesnt get through and the high chance hes a planned sub

Bryan will get pushed around by the bigger Briggs whereas Flip will compete better and also has more ability to go full length if required as sole ruck

Also Flip is probably the better player right now and were trying to win

if you watched GWS last week you would know they were very good against a red hot team

this is Scott going all in for a win .... Bryan is simply not ready for these games

Probably a dumb question, but is there a case for putting Perkins on Greene? He should have the strength and size and actually learn about what having and using ‘X factor’ as a player really means…. Not sure about the speed match-up though

We're high up for total clangers/turnovers. GWS is high up for total intercept possessions.

We're 3rd for uncontested possessions, whereas GWS is 5th for contested.

We're 4th for centre clearances, but last for stoppage clearances. GWS are 3rd for ground ball gets.

This leads me to believe we prefer a hands-off game, and benefit a lot from the 6x6x6 set up, whereas GWS is more happy to gobble up mistakes by the oppo and get in front of the coal face closer to ground.

As for aerial supremacy, we're 1st for total marks... but 10th for contested marks. GWS doesn't fair too better at 16th.

When it comes to converting opportunities into scores/scoring chances, we are 5th in the league for marks inside 50 per inside 50 entry. We're also more accurate in front of goal (49.9% v 47.3%), score more goals from i50 (5th v 16th) and have more scoring shots i50 (8th v 14th).

When it comes to tackles though, we fair worse, at 17th for total tackles and 10th for tackles i50. GWS being 6th, and 1st.

All in all I feel like we're both thereabouts, but we've been preferring a more system-based approach, looking to find the easy way around and work our way through with efficiency, whereas GWS has a bit more mongrel about them, they play in the moment and are more eager to get scrappy to gain opportunities and push to win the territory game.

Going in, with a few more inclusions, we need to tweak our style a bit. Be a little more fearless around the ground, close up space and apply more tackling pressure, and not allow GWS to wait for us to make unforced errors that they'll look to feed on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're high up for total clangers/turnovers. GWS is high up for total intercept possessions.

We're 3rd for uncontested possessions, whereas GWS is 5th for contested.

We're 4th for centre clearances, but last for stoppage clearances. GWS are 3rd for ground ball gets.

This leads me to believe we prefer a hands-off game, and benefit a lot from the 6x6x6 set up, whereas GWS is more happy to gobble up mistakes by the oppo and get in front of the coal face closer to ground.

As for aerial supremacy, we're 1st for total marks... but 10th for contested marks. GWS doesn't fair too better at 16th.

When it comes to converting opportunities into scores/scoring chances, we are 5th in the league for marks inside 50 per inside 50 entry. We're also more accurate in front of goal (49.9% v 47.3%), score more goals from i50 (5th v 16th) and have more scoring shots i50 (8th v 14th).

When it comes to tackles though, we fair worse, at 17th for total tackles and 10th for tackles i50. GWS being 6th, and 1st.

All in all I feel like we're both thereabouts, but we've been preferring a more system-based approach, looking to find the easy way around and work our way through with efficiency, whereas GWS has a bit more mongrel about them, they play in the moment and are more eager to get scrappy to gain opportunities and push to win the territory game.

Going in, with a few more inclusions, we need to tweak our style a bit. Be a little more fearless around the ground, close up space and apply more tackling pressure, and not allow GWS to wait for us to make unforced errors that they'll look to feed on.
"GWS has a bit more mongrel about them, they play in the moment and are more eager to get scrappy to gain opportunities and push to win the territory game."

This is why I think they could win. Hope not though. I still have not attended a game in Sydney that we have won. Hoping tomorrow is the first.

I would have thought there would be greater benefit in seeing if they could find a suitable match up for Baldwin to assess him for the future; there are other players named who we know plenty about already and are probably not going to improve. Also, bringing back Stringer who we know is not real good cold... I struggle with that pick...
Not saying Stringer will blow the lights out but it is a little different this time. He has not missed as much training as he previously has when he has been out.

Cmon… we aren’t kicking anyone in the balls or marching the dude to the gallows.. it’s not like he’s Dean Cox either... If the coaches think he is the best option to win us 2 games and get us into the finals I’m all for it. I laughed at the suggestion he’d be picked for a farewell game against his old side.. we are still playing to win
He has been in all the winning sides. He is unco and makes mistakes but short term he is not worse than Bryan. You show a lack of understanding about how much characters like Phillips are loved inside the footy clubs . It is a kick in the nuts. Sorry mate you have carried us this far and given it all but we are going to pick the young bloke who has not really been any better because he might learn something in two games.

Bangers into the 22, Stringer sub IMO if there is a late switch.

Just great to see Baldwin being rewarded for his great game by not getting to play any footy this weekend and watch from the grandstand.

What a load of absolute s**t

Bangers into the 22, Stringer sub IMO if there is a late switch.

Just great to see Baldwin being rewarded for his great game by not getting to play any footy this weekend and watch from the grandstand.

What a load of absolute s**t
I think the coaching staff realised they couldn’t play Kelly and Heppell in the same backline. Given there isn’t another spot for Kelly to play on the ground with the current available players - I’d expect Baldwin to come in for Kelly or Heppell. And as Kelly was named on the bench, more likely Kelly.

• Baldwin in, Kelly out
  • Guelfi sub, Caldwell starts on the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back