Preview Round 23 - Essendon Bombers vs The Greater Western Sydney - Saturday, August 19th - 4:45 pm @ Unsponsored Stadium, NSW

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only surprise for me is Caldwell not being picked and maybe hes a late in

But also maybe hes just not 100%

Heppell or N.Cox on a Cal Brown may be a bit of an issue at times. Cox is probably capable but i think it will be Heppell with Cox on a wing

Hard to know how to feel. I mean Drapes is a good in, no Caldwell or Setts and Stringer.....well... scott-steiner-fat.gif

I want us to win and at least have a chance next week. But I don't see it happening, based on the last two weeks we're not within 6 goals of GWS and I don't think Drapes can change that.

The problem matchup is Toby Greene. I think if Kelly gets the task Toby might just end his career by humiliating him, far too many tricks. Earlier in the season McGrath would have been my preference but he seems to have lost his pace recently
Mcgrath is needed for Daniels as priority 1 or Bedford priority 2

Kelly will get Toby its the best matchup we have for him

The problem matchup is Toby Greene. I think if Kelly gets the task Toby might just end his career by humiliating him, far too many tricks. Earlier in the season McGrath would have been my preference but he seems to have lost his pace recently
There is another Green that poses a real danger for us IMO, Tom.

@192cm and 92 kilo's he is 10cm//10kg heavier than any of our midfielders. Hopefully Setters get a late call up.

Last edited:
I noticed that Jake Kelly played a defensive forward and at times wing role last week vs North.

Do you guys think this may continue? Or with Baldwin out does he shift back to defence?

Unless Bryan is injured/stuffed that's the most surprising omission for me. The kid needs game time against AFL level opponents.
I would have looked to keep Baldwin in but can understand why he was dropped.
No Caldwell if he is actually fit is also surprising.

Between selection and on-field positioning of players it has sort of seemed that we aren't sure which we way we want to jump over the last few weeks...

Unless Bryan is injured/stuffed that's the most surprising omission for me. The kid needs game time against AFL level opponents.

Between selection and on-field positioning of players it has sort of seemed that we aren't sure which we way we want to jump over the last few weeks...
My biggest worry is Phillips frame of mind with this decision. Is he still hungry enough for a final fling or has his mind checked out.

That is the gamble IMO.

Cannot recall ever being so disinterested in a game that has so much riding on it.

My only observation - Baldwin very stiff, surely he’s a late in.

Agree, he is a great competitor.

Just sometimes when you have made the call, it is hard to get to the same level, subconsciously

Or does he go out there all the more motivated because he knows it's either his second last, or last, ever AFL game?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So much for not jeopardizing the long term for the short term.

Bringing in Jake Stringer after a month of no footy at all screams hail-mary to me in trying to make finals.
It does! - we all know it takes him about three weeks to warm up anyway so why pick him??
I have no words for the Baldwin call?
FMD

You’d think Baldwin played well enough to get 6 Brownlow votes against North the way some people are reacting.

He had some good moments absolutely, but he had a pretty minimal presence otherwise.

Also, of course they’ve gone out to make finals. Why wouldn’t you? Making and playing in a finals game would be gold for the likes of Hobbs, Menzie and Tsatas if we make it. It’s 100% the right call
Last time we made finals it was of little to no tangible benefit to our players development - I'd argue that none of our last 5 finals showings have been... hard to get anything out of a 10 goal (sometimes 15 goal) flogging!

Last time we made finals it was of little to no tangible benefit to our players development - I'd argue that none of our last 5 finals showings have been... hard to get anything out of a 10 goal (sometimes 15 goal) flogging!
It does let you know you're nowhere near it and have a lot of ******* work to do. Puts a fire in the belly for next year. Maybe?

I doubt it’s a factor at all. 0.

What you have said is definitely the reason he is playing over Bryan. In saying that I would of preferred to see a Bryan Draper combo to finish the year
And kick the bloke in the balls that has played all year and given his all . Yes that is a real great way to build a good culture. It is two games. Different story if it is 9 weeks ago .

It does let you know you're nowhere near it and have a lot of ******* work to do. Puts a fire in the belly for next year. Maybe?
You would think that but every year after we have made finals we have started like absolute s**t - as I said we have had no tangible benefit/lessons/burning from any of our last 5 or so finals showings.
We'd be better off losing to get a better draft pick.
I would not have said this a couple of months ago, as I did not see the effort completely dropping off a cliff like it has since the bye.
(I am talking about Freo, Geelong, Bulldogs, WCE and last week's games - zero pressure applied) so why would we all of a sudden go all out to win this one?

They still have to have a go until it is over . Otherwise it is just giving in because it is too hard . New coach gets a look at if anything has changed and who will be in the gun going forward.

We are down to two games left and he has had a long run in the senior side now . There is not a lot more to learn in two games .

I noticed that Jake Kelly played a defensive forward and at times wing role last week vs North.

Do you guys think this may continue? Or with Baldwin out does he shift back to defence?
Gees I hope it doesn’t continue..wasn’t too successful. I’d say back

My biggest worry is Phillips frame of mind with this decision. Is he still hungry enough for a final fling or has his mind checked out.

That is the gamble IMO.
I think what you get with Flip is continued effort, which is obviously something Scott values, and for good reason.

I would hope we are able to retain Bryan, as he and Draper compliment each other well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back