Preview Round 21 - Essendon Bombers vs West Coast Eagles - Saturday August 5th - 1:45 pm - Marvel (except for most of the characters from Spider Man) Stadium.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My concern for our backline for most of the season is the lack of kicking ability/rebound that we actually have back there.

Obviously defenders need to be able to defend first and foremost, but then you need enough kicking ability as a collective from there to be able to transition the ball.

When I read people debating about guys like Kelly, Heppell, even Zerk and Laverde's position in the team, and then there's pushback on "Well, no, they're actually going okay, they defend well" etc.. Yes, that can be true, but when you've got that big of a collection of guys who are not 'creative' kicks, it's the mix that doesn't work.

We've relied on basically Redman and Ridley all year for our rebound, with McGrath providing some through his run more so than his kicking. But McGrath feels like he's dropped off form wise quite badly, and obviously Ridley is now out. It's genuinely just Redman now. No wonder we've had a couple of weeks of chipping it around, going nowhere fast in defense.

It's why I'm happy to see Cox back there, as he does have the ability to be an option and use the ball. But it's also why myself, like a lot of people, want to see Baldwin in - he is an underratedly nice field kick. It's not so much the "Lets weigh up Laverde/Zerk vs Baldwin" debate, its getting the mix of defenders right.
Imagine having a Fletch now who could roost the ball 60+, also with the extra 10 metres with the kick ins.

He would make it to CHF.

I’d say lav had the biggest impact on us losing that game for a singular player perspective

Yep and not even close. Worst game from an Essendon defender I've seen in a long time.

Wouldn't be surprised if Lav was playing injured. He's almost always competitive. Agree though, it would be nice to see Baldwin in. Not sure who you drop though as I'd think Hind and Heppell first in line but both were good plus I really liked Cox back there. If Zerk is going to Port then the choice is pretty obvious lol

Hepps resume reads better than he was but, has earnt his spot for the last rounds and deserves to go out with hoo haa at seasons end.
Loyal as loyal gets. Been great for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so it’s “Ruck Round” is it? just another woke liberal snowflake virtue-signalling wankfest

It’s a fox footy promotion not afl
Geeze lighten up
Did you know that rucks are the most underrepresented players in our game? They only have one or two positions on the field! Equal representation for rucks!!!! 5 rucks at least!

And leanback, definitely a joke.

Did you know that rucks are the most underrepresented players in our game? They only have one or two positions on the field! Equal representation for rucks!!!! 5 rucks at least!

And leanback, definitely a joke.

Serves them right for discriminating based on height. All hail JSOS for shattering the glass floor.

I’m in a “we better win by 70 or more” mood today…living on the edge lol

Go Dons!

Push me

And then just touch me

Til I can get my

Tsatas-Faction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back