Bluemour Melting Pot XXII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anyone else notice that Liddle wasn't with SOS and the gang in the draft 'box' tonight? Was definitely there last year. (Not saying Liddle's going anywhere, just an interesting observation.)
YES!!! It is one of the things I was looking out for on the night and Liddle not sitting there with the others spoke volumes that he kind of knew SOS and him sitting together on same night when seems like a bit of falling out over Ellis stuff would not go down too well with SOS basically intending to leave after this draft haul done with. So can only assume the rumours of why SOS deciding to leave based on he not super impressed with working with Liddle are on the mark.
Still, SOS did not let it stop him making sure he still kept doing everything he could to do as much work as possible to leave us in as good a foundation as possible with our list for the next decade.

Last edited:
9 + 43 for 12 + 18. Lets see how much they really want the pick. 12 would still net us one of our top choices I feel.
We see what is there as we get close to pick 9 before we actually do a live trade.
Make the other clubs wait.
Make them wait longer ... take the full 5 mins and bid Henry then do it again for the next Pick ...
You're thinking is spot on.
Sadly, most other clubs are still stupid about realising at some point you got to bid on players other clubs are committed to taking to ensure they at least forced to lose middle round picks and not just let them get those players slide in order and that club get a leg up having the middle round picks not pushed back a lot further.
Example. last year clubs let Sydney get away with murder in taking Blakey 3 or 4 picks later than he should have been.

We will not let Fremantle get Henry too easily as others let Swans get Blakey too easily.
Hopefully we force them to go into debt for next year's first round pick and it pushed back in second round worth by bidding on him even though Dockers certain to match.

So idiot clubs like Crows let Giants get Tom Green too easily and we actually had to do the work for them.
It is weird how many clubs are slow on learning what you need to do with live bids and live trading involved now.
Seems like only a handful of clubs of the 18 are really up on it.

Serong has been linked to us, but I'm sure SOS and Agresta think it morel likely he gone before our pick. If he gets to us it will be as a slider and will be happy.
Kemp is more realistic slider because of his injury but even he is a fair chance of being taken just before us. I think we will use pick 9 if either is still there but if not I think we are live trading most likely and I suspect it is what internally we expect we will be doing.

Took balls to trust Kemp slide any further but to live trade our pick when Serong or Young did not last to pick 9 too guts to trust Kemp was still able to be got 6 picks later. ******* awesome work!
SOS you are a legend at how this is done to still grab our next guy after Serong and still manage to squeeze in another pick for the night on a speedster.
It is a numbers game and hopefully Agresta and others in future realise you got to back yourself in live situation and not be scared to trade and live bids and keep all other clubs both honest and unsure whom you picking that they will trade with you at any moment out of fear of missing their own goals.
Could not be happier after Serong gone, which was expected, to then get slider Kemp which was my original thought we could get at pick 9 weeks ago.
I did not foresee us needing to bid on Green too, to keep Giants honest, but there you go, the other clubs earlier are just not as up to speed on this, as yet.

I thought overall Fremantle did well as they got Serong and Young that we would have been keen to get if others clubs let one of them get to 9 and as expected they got Henry after those too and when we kept them honest pushing back their other picks on night, they tried to reduce the deficit into next years draft by live trading with Port to help use a few more points from this draft than next years. They traded out a future second rounder next year when in effect will help their 1st round pick next year be not be pushed back so far. But I guess only 5% of footy fans are up with this stuff and will take another decade for many footy to get how this is all done.

Fremantle and Carlton were the two clubs that invested time and trip to USA to get more up to speed with live trading a year or so ago and it shows....

Gold Coast will be happy with their night too. The priority picks of Noah Anderson will prove very handy. Thanks AFL for giving them free gifts....

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IIRC there is no live trading tonight as all of the deals for the rest of the draft are to be settled before the draft (4pm-6pm).

I very much doubt that.

There may be a period where trading is opened between 4-6pm but with the AFL keen to push live trading, there's surely no way they will limit it to just the first round of the draft.

I very much doubt that.

There may be a period where trading is opened between 4-6pm but with the AFL keen to push live trading, there's surely no way they will limit it to just the first round of the draft.
The trades are the only thing that make the draft worth watching.

I have this weird feeling that SOS won't end up leaving. Dunno why seeing as everything is pointing the other way, but my gut says he won't go.
When interviewed it seemed like he was leaving but wanted reporters concentrate on the kids drafted and not be about him.
Short of Liddle grovelling and begging him to change his mind, it sounds 99.99% certain SOS made his mind up to leave.

Unlike others though, I have no fear he will take on similar role at another club. He will take a year off and maybe look for another challenge in role out of clubland in the industry or media.

If he did surprise me and end up at another club I think he would do a role he not done before like a Football Manager.. ala.. Neil Balme type challenge next.

When interviewed it seemed like he was leaving but wanted reporters concentrate on the kids drafted and not be about him.
Short of Liddle grovelling and begging him to change his mind, it sounds 99.99% certain SOS made his mind up to leave.

Unlike others though, I have no fear he will take on similar role at another club. He will take a year off and maybe look for another challenge in role out of clubland in the industry or media.

If he did surprise me and end up at another club I think he would do a role he not done before like a Football Manager.. ala.. Neil Balme type challenge next.
Any chance we can get SOS to stay by telling Liddle to GAGF?! I seriously want Liddle gone!

Which reminds me, I left my work place only a few months back as someone above me pissed me off as a manager so I decided to leave.
He complained when I decided to leave but his own fault. Stuff people around and if you feel you cannot have a working relationship you trust in, move on if you can. Do not blame SOS if Liddle really stuffed him around and did not properly apologise for his Ellis mistake.

Any chance we can get SOS to stay by telling Liddle to GAGF?! I seriously want Liddle gone!

I do not think so. Liddle seems to have done a lot of good until the major mistake of thinking he should initiate contact with Ellis and his management when it not his area of expertise. Hopefully Liddle learns from this and never makes similar mistake again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back