Bluemour Melting Pot XXII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
BB wel
It's not really a dismissal in the common sense of the word though, is it.

SOS was brought on to do a job (ie. strip the list back to it's bare bones and rebuild on the fly via the draft). If those running the club believe that job is done, then there isn't a specific need for that position to be filled. Instead, we just need what most clubs have, a List Manager to balance contracts and coordinate the efforts of the recruiters based on the perceived needs of the list.

I don't think it's at all unreasonable that, if SOS's contract had indeed expired, that the club wouldn't be putting a new one in front of him for the same role, especially if others in the List Management team felt that having that (now redundant) role filled, by SOS, was going to limit their ability to do their own jobs. Particularly given SOS's salary would fall under the soft cap, and could potentially be better spent on coaching or medical staff now that the heavy lifting of the rebuild is done. That's very different to being sacked because you annoyed someone, or because you'd done a poor job.

It also makes perfect sense that SOS would feel aggrieved at a situation like that. Having his portfolio taken out of his hands and being told that he's welcome to stick around and do something different instead.

Not going to pretend to know exactly what's gone on, and find it strange that some here seem to think they have all the information they need to cast judgement.

In my book, SOS has done a great job, but his influence may have become a bit too overbearing. Liddle has done well on the commercial side of things, don't like him being involved in LM but would certainly respect him if it turned out his actions were taken on behalf of other staff at the club who felt their own input was being limited/disregarded.

Shitty optics, but I'm prepared to give the club 12 months to see what happens off the back of this change, rather than railing at the specific circumstances now.
BB Well articulated. Assumption (of which there has been huge amount) is the mother of all f#ck ups. As I have said the true test of all this is where the club lands when the dust settles of which we can't pass judgement on yet.

This is the first time I have felt uneasy about the clubs direction since SOS started

Don't fu** this up Carlton
Look I haven’t watched Carlton for that long but when I started it didn’t take me long to fall in love with the club. Most footy that I’ve watched of Carlton has been utter poo. It’s been so hard to watch them at times that I just wanted to stop going for the baggers all together. It’s been really rough the last few years.. but we saw the potential. Again I haven’t watched much football, but I’ve never been more proud to be a bagger fan than I am right now. Our key position players are unbelievable and lift the crowd to its feet. 1 of them is 22 and other 2 are 21. That’s ten years of greatness awaiting. They will sort out the injuries don’t get too worried about that. Then we go on to talk about the backs and forwards. Plowman, Marchy, docherty, SPS, Willo, Cunners, Fisher, gibbons, Kennedy, JSOS and Martin. This is the core group of players that will close to consistently be in the side. I’m sure I’ve forgotten someone but hey, our list is just that good. Then we get on to the midfielders. Crippa, Walsh, Setters, Dow, Philp, Kemp, LOB and stocker. What a great group of young midfield talent! This doesn’t even include the older players like Murphy and Curnow. Same with the likes of Simpson casboult and Jones down back, and EDDDDDDIEEEE!.

So my point is, I know it is upset to see sos go and I know everyone is worried that they will ****ed this up... but don’t be worried. This core is so close it’s ridiculous. This side is definitely the best I’ve seen Carlton be. People have bagged our club for too long. So to Essendon, Richmond, Collingwood and even hawthorn, it’s payback time mother*ers. Our dynasty is coming and you will never hear the end of it

Well that's the problem isn't it. How are you going to get Blair Hartley, or any other top echelon list manager to take the job after Carlton mangled the departure of SOS so badly. It hardly screams house in order.

The other issue they have is the hard work has basically all been done. Would top liners actually want to take on a job where their role is basically to work towards sustained success? It's hardly going to enhance their reputations.

I got kicked because i admin another and might 'steal his intel' never done such a thing lol.
Heaven forbid someone else does to him, what he is doing to others.

It is pretty sad that someone is doing so much work to pretend he is actually someone we should care about.

Probably why I have never signed up to Twitter etc.

So my point is, I know it is upset to see sos go and I know everyone is worried that they will f’ed this up... but don’t be worried. This core is so close it’s ridiculous. This side is definitely the best I’ve seen Carlton be. People have bagged our club for too long. So to Essendon, Richmond, Collingwood and even hawthorn, it’s payback time motherf***ers. Our dynasty is coming and you will never hear the end of it

The list is great. That's the real positive to cling to at the moment.

But it's very hard to have any faith that the back rooms of the club won't heck this up.

Complete guesses:

- With our influx of draftees the club had informed them they'd be required to play "supporting" roles, and both players decided to move to a club where they'd get a more prominent role. (Probably a stretch).

- Both players were hopeful of impressing the Blues recruiters and getting a shot on the senior/rookie list. With that having not panned out within a few years on the list, they've decided to move on. (Seems reasonable).
Both seem pretty reasonable guesses I would have thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s not that SOS has gone, it’s how the CEO and the Club have gone about getting rid of him. This whole situation over the last 6 months (or year?) should have been managed professionally. And it clearly hasn’t been.
If the board thought Liddle was "more" in the wrong then he would have gone and SOS would have stayed. Its sad to see SOS go, but i believe there is alot more to this story than meets the eye.

I think it`s the way that Liddle seems to have played politics by doing things behind SOS`back that I don`t like and has divided people over those tactics...........he was the one who pushed for De Luca while SOS wanted Dunkley is what I remember reading on here, and now De Luca is out the door, so Liddle should leave list management to the list experts............too many chefs spoil the broth as they say......... :eek:
On the flip SOS didn't want Eddie yet Teague and Liddle did. Getting Eddie back will be huge for the footy club, both on and off the field. And there is the bonus that Eddie was instrumental in helping us land Martin as well.

It was, ultimately, what we tried to do but were unable to pull off due to Adelaide's greed. Or if not greed, perhaps their vengeance for feasting on them the last few years. Stephens vs. Kemp + Philp is an interesting one. May turn out they've done us a favour.
Wouldn't mind betting we go after Stephens in a couple of years time. Massive Carlton supporter

Has there ever been unity at carlton?

Reg: “Right. You’re in. Listen. The only people we hate more than Richmond are the f**king Judean People’s Front.”

Stan: “Yeah, the Judean People’s Front.”

Reg: “Yeah. Splitters.”

Stan: “And the Popular Front of Judea.”

Reg: “Yeah. Splitters.”

Stan: “And the People’s Front of Judea.”

Reg: “Yea… what?”

Stan: “The People’s Front of Judea. Splitters.”

Reg: “We’re the People’s Front of Judea!”

Stan: “Oh. I thought we were the Popular Front.”

Reg: “People’s Front!”

Francis: “Whatever happened to the Popular Front, Reg?”

Status