Bluemour Melting Pot XXII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So how is Liddle immune from that if he recruited Ellis? If Ellis did come over wouldn’t these soft workers who are too unprofessional to forge a professional decision going to feel exactly the same about him? What about Teague bringing in Eddie? A wise man one said there are conflicts everywhere in football.

True, but family is family.

78770108_10163007448425221_4012937757407051776_n.jpg

#EarlsPearls

You think it's impossible that, during the year, someone at the club in either the selection or list management teams may have spoken with a new-ish CEO about the fact that they felt uncomfortable making "hard decisions" or discussing contract terms with the son(s) of the GM of List Management?

The conflict of interest began the moment JSOS nominated for the draft. People commented on it at the time. SOS had to come out publicly to state that he would step back from any decisions on drafting his son. 4 years on he now has two sons at the club, and the salary cap management is starting to become more about fitting players in than throwing money at someone so we meet the minimum. It is entirely reasonable to think that people in a number of positions might have started feeling uncomfortable about what the conflict of interest would mean should they go against the wishes of their boss. Not only that, but there are new people at the club, who may have been unwilling to raise concerns until recently.

Why are you so adamant that your narrative is 100% correct?

I'm not sure why people can't see this or somehow think it's unrealistic.

The litmus test for this situation was always going to be when some genuinely difficult discussion needed to occur regarding the value of one of the Silvagni boys and/or their place on the list. IMO this occurred for the first time earlier this year when Jack was struggling before the form turnaround.

Perhaps it was during this period that the club, and particularly Liddle, learned more about the difficulties they were facing here. Is it too unreasonable to suggest that perhaps we were a little naive about how easy this was all going to be, and got taught a lession when things started to get real? Perhaps we discovered that:

i) Some team members under SoS felt uncomfortable and conflicted having the hard conversation (because people may care about the club but they also care about their career.)
ii) SOS himself was getting too involved and not being as impartial as required (it's possible, he's a legend but he's only human and not infallible.)
iii) Other's at the club with friendships or alliances were exerting or feeling pressure regarding the issue, real or perceived.

It's just possible that we had a moment where we realized "Oh shit - this isn't going to work nearly as easily as we'd thought."

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He almost lost me at "GC is a holiday destination", but I was done at "the oldies are lining up in God's waiting room." This is such a 1980s view of the Gold Coast.

It may come as news to some, but Joh's death tax 'refugees' fell off the perch long ago. The demographic of the City of Gold Coast, which stretches from Coolangatta in the south to Pimpama/Yatala at the northern end is much different to that described & is a market that both the AFL & NRL would turn their backs on at their own risk.
The population might have changed but they're still queenslanders and queenslanders don't like sport, nor do they attend events.

I've been here for 10 years and it shocks me how different they are to basically the rest of the country.

There is little to nothing to be gained by wasting more time and effort here with a sports team, particularly for a non dominant code.

The population might have changed but they're still queenslanders and queenslanders don't like sport, nor do they attend events.

I've been here for 10 years and it shocks me how different they are to basically the rest of the country.

There is little to nothing to be gained by wasting more time and effort here with a sports team, particularly for a non dominant code.

Too many codes up there to have 1 religion like in Vic.
That said, watch everyone come out of the woodwork at Origin time.

Queenslanders and New South Welshman are more alike than they like to think....

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Port preparing the exit strategy.

Hope he goes elsewhere - I think coughing up for him next year would be a trap best avoided.

Reckon Teague would be vetoing it as well, as much as that might annoy some. Clear he wants his midfield to be quick and dynamic, and Wines is neither.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back