Sri Lanka, AFSL
Tanzania, FootyWild, Kenya Vs Tanzania
Uganda, Wiki
Zimbabwe, FootyWild
Recently
Bulgaria
Estonia
Nepal
I'm only pointing out facts and talking of facts, i seriously doubt in any of the above play 18 a side on a oval ground. You might know different.
I'm comfortable with the fact we are only in serious terms serious in Australia.
I'm comfortable with the fact that a majority or all of the above comps are played on soccer pitches and 9 a side.
I'm comfortable with the fact that in my lifetime i never see a professional club outside of Australia.
Live with it. Don't beat yourself up inside over facts. You can't change them
Have a nice day and chill

I'm only pointing out facts and talking of facts

No, the exact opposite and i have to doubt your reasons.

18-a-side is prominent in many locations.
Nauru is far more serious about Australian Football than Australians.
The people playing Australian Football overseas are very serious about Australian Football.
There is a mixture of number and sizes from 18 done to 7s.
There is lot more football in 9-a-side than 18-a-side and it is a lot more intense.

Again, you have demonstrated that you know nothing about Australian Football overseas.
Please feel free to post here about any news about Australian Football

No, the exact opposite and i have to doubt your reasons.

18-a-side is prominent in many locations.
Nauru is far more serious about Australian Football than Australians.
The people playing Australian Football overseas are very serious about Australian Football.
There is a mixture of number and sizes from 18 done to 7s.
There is lot more football in 9-a-side than 18-a-side and it is a lot more intense.

Again, you have demonstrated that you know nothing about Australian Football overseas.
Please feel free to post here about any news about Australian Football
Mate i live in Thailand and have for a number of years and the while i have lived here i have never met anybody who players AF here.
I have never seen any AF goal posts either.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but they are the facts
What country do you live in?

Mate i live in Thailand

Well then, how about keeping your remarks confined to Thailand.

Club Timeline

Four footy enthusiasts are chased out of Lumpini after an end-to-end kick – Gerald Henderson, Paul Fitzpatrick, Paul McKay, Jeff Rowe

Thailand plays it first game against Hong Kong at Kasetsart University;

Thailand Tigers 16.11. 107 def Hong Kong 11.10. 76

Initial club structure = President: Carl Delina; Coach: Will Hamilton; Committee members: Bob Bedford, Garry Burke, Greg Keane, Shane Kenealy

Club Song created on first tour to Hong Kong; credit Youngy, Hendo, Tiffin

First game played at Thana City; the initial home ground

Three-way tournament in Saigon: Thailand, Vietnam and Hong Kong; Mark Seymour played live at the ground.

Hosted the inaugural 4 Nations Cup in Bangkok – Thailand, Hong Kong, Singapore and Indonesia – an event that would later be known as the Asian Championships.

Started training at the Tobacco Monopoly/Bus Stop

First ANZAC Cup game played against Malaysia in Kanchanburi;

Thailand Tigers 13.6. 84 def Malaysian Warriors 5.4. 34.

Reformed official Thailand Tigers committee at AGM

Quiet Lions attend ANZAC Cup with former POWs as the VIP attendees (and every year afterwards)

Launch of Reds v Blue Domestic Season format

First official Thailand Tigers AFL Grand Final event held at Witch’s Tavern

2001, 2007, 2011, 2015

Hosted the Asian Champs in Bangkok

2011, 2012

Hosted the Asian Champs in Pattaya

2007, 2009, 2014, 2015

Winners of Indochina Cup; Inaugural ICC played in Hanoi in 2007.

Indochina Bulldogs, a team of indigenous players from each of the Indochina clubs plays first ever game at the Indochina Cup, Pattaya Thailand. Andrew Embley is the coach.

Sabre Tooth Tigers (Masters team) debut at Bali 9s tournament

20th year anniversary event

Runner-up division 2 at Asian Champs, KL

Well then, how about keeping your remarks confined to Thailand.

Club Timeline

Four footy enthusiasts are chased out of Lumpini after an end-to-end kick – Gerald Henderson, Paul Fitzpatrick, Paul McKay, Jeff Rowe

Thailand plays it first game against Hong Kong at Kasetsart University;

Thailand Tigers 16.11. 107 def Hong Kong 11.10. 76

Initial club structure = President: Carl Delina; Coach: Will Hamilton; Committee members: Bob Bedford, Garry Burke, Greg Keane, Shane Kenealy

Club Song created on first tour to Hong Kong; credit Youngy, Hendo, Tiffin

First game played at Thana City; the initial home ground

Three-way tournament in Saigon: Thailand, Vietnam and Hong Kong; Mark Seymour played live at the ground.

Hosted the inaugural 4 Nations Cup in Bangkok – Thailand, Hong Kong, Singapore and Indonesia – an event that would later be known as the Asian Championships.

Started training at the Tobacco Monopoly/Bus Stop

First ANZAC Cup game played against Malaysia in Kanchanburi;

Thailand Tigers 13.6. 84 def Malaysian Warriors 5.4. 34.

Reformed official Thailand Tigers committee at AGM

Quiet Lions attend ANZAC Cup with former POWs as the VIP attendees (and every year afterwards)

Launch of Reds v Blue Domestic Season format

First official Thailand Tigers AFL Grand Final event held at Witch’s Tavern

2001, 2007, 2011, 2015

Hosted the Asian Champs in Bangkok

2011, 2012

Hosted the Asian Champs in Pattaya

2007, 2009, 2014, 2015

Winners of Indochina Cup; Inaugural ICC played in Hanoi in 2007.

Indochina Bulldogs, a team of indigenous players from each of the Indochina clubs plays first ever game at the Indochina Cup, Pattaya Thailand. Andrew Embley is the coach.

Sabre Tooth Tigers (Masters team) debut at Bali 9s tournament

20th year anniversary event

Runner-up division 2 at Asian Champs, KL
Just saying what i know mate, but thanks for the link.
Nice picture of them, but to me that just looks like an expat team. I can't see many locals and i guess they only play 9 a side.
I shall be going for a few beers later and ask in the bar if anybody has seen them play.
The fact remains though that i haven't seen any AF goal posts here, but if i go to Horseshoe Point i possibly would and i have never met anybody here who plays AF here.
Anyway have a nice day. ...

Edit: Don't bother with the passive-aggressive stuff thanks - OTP

Last edited by a moderator:
Mate i live in Thailand and have for a number of years and the while i have lived here i have never met anybody who players AF here.
I have never seen any AF goal posts either.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but they are the facts
What country do you live in?
Never seen anybody playing Lacrosse here, or a Lacrosse field, never the less, there are a number of Lacrosse leagues. You should put in a complaint, say that if they are going to play AF in Thailand, they should let you know first so you can attest.

The beauty about Australian Football overseas that it is seen as many things - fun, fitness, an all round game and an inclusive sport.
It's not just that's it's a young sport in most places with a wide variety of participants but it's a conscious effort to be able to build bridges.
If you look at the AFL International Cup, the requirements are that you must play for country not just be a national of that country. There is a joint peace team from Isreal and Palestine. That is arguably the longest running hot spot in the world yet Australian Football is able to bring people together. In South Africa, Australian Football successfully replaced American Football (I don't know hat they were thinking) as the sport to bring the country together. There are many countries were divisions within countries and between countries are being broken down - Pakistan, India, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Indonesia, Catalonia, Brunei, Macau, Malaysia and others. AustralianFootball overseas is doing a very much under-rated job.
Australian Football overseas does not receive a big budget and does extremely well through the efforts of volunteers. If people want Australian Football to wield more political clout then the governments should fund Australian Football overseas. Positive actions in bringing people together have much more impact and are not divisive like token and single issue political statements.

The beauty about Australian Football overseas that it is seen as many things - fun, fitness, an all round game and an inclusive sport.
It's not just that's it's a young sport in most places with a wide variety of participants but it's a conscious effort to be able to build bridges.
If you look at the AFL International Cup, the requirements are that you must play for country not just be a national of that country. There is a joint peace team from Isreal and Palestine. That is arguably the longest running hot spot in the world yet Australian Football is able to bring people together. In South Africa, Australian Football successfully replaced American Football (I don't know hat they were thinking) as the sport to bring the country together. There are many countries were divisions within countries and between countries are being broken down - Pakistan, India, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Indonesia, Catalonia, Brunei, Macau, Malaysia and others. AustralianFootball overseas is doing a very much under-rated job.
Australian Football overseas does not receive a big budget and does extremely well through the efforts of volunteers. If people want Australian Football to wield more political clout then the governments should fund Australian Football overseas. Positive actions in bringing people together have much more impact and are not divisive like token and single issue political statements.
The trouble with your comment about the Australian Govt funding overseas footy is that this is the year 2019.
Every Internationally played sport in Australia would be jumping up and down - Why not us - Here you are supporting a sport that is not recognised overseas in most places.
Would be great though if it happened on a broad scale.

The trouble with your comment about the Australian Govt funding overseas footy is that this is the year 2019.
Every Internationally played sport in Australia would be jumping up and down - Why not us - Here you are supporting a sport that is not recognised overseas in most places.
Would be great though if it happened on a broad scale.
That is the answer though. Its a sport not recognised overseas. Australian football, by its very nature, promotes Australia. Just read the USAFL Facebook page, or twitter feeds to get an idea how much.

However, I still do not think they will, or even should. Footy in NZ gets lots of government funding for its school and junior programs. AFL Canada is close to getting it recognised as an 'official' sport in Canada, opening up access to more government funding.

This would be the preferred model, government funding, yes, but from the government of the country concerned.

Government funding has long been an element in some football developments but it has not been consistent.

Every Internationally played sport in Australia would be jumping up and down.

Why? It is up to international sports to fund their own development.
I only mentioned this suggestion because of the excellent work of mainly volunteers that produce (as a sidelight) the bringing together of people.
That good work should be recognised and possibly expanded upon.

Here you are supporting a sport that is not recognised overseas in most places.

And that is probably why it works so well. Existing sports have existing prejudices. Existing sports, haven't to my knowledge haven't gone past just being a sport.

Australian Football, by its very nature, promotes Australia.

Which is a topic in itself. In North America and the U.K. it is a big thing but not in Europe. The pros and cons are debatable.

AFL Canada is close to getting it recognised as an 'official' sport in Canada, opening up access to more government funding.

Yes, and every country is different in their funding and criteria. It is essential for their to be a national organisation in the respective countries and in some cases a world organisation. The AFL is not considered a "world body" by some and that excludes some funding. In many countries it's about participation numbers. In major events like the USAFL and the Euro Cup the underwriting value can be of greater value.

In the case of Canada they were able to point to earlier gains to achieve greater access.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is the answer though. Its a sport not recognised overseas. Australian football, by its very nature, promotes Australia. Just read the USAFL Facebook page, or twitter feeds to get an idea how much.

However, I still do not think they will, or even should. Footy in NZ gets lots of government funding for its school and junior programs. AFL Canada is close to getting it recognised as an 'official' sport in Canada, opening up access to more government funding.

This would be the preferred model, government funding, yes, but from the government of the country concerned.
Good point about Canada getting close to being an official Sport. That status is much desired by the Leagues overseas.

The story below was part of an ABC News article on my mobile.
The article covered several Aussies in China setting up their own businesses.
There is a guy from Melbourne - Tyson Murphy - who it appears is/was coaching locals in our game in the city of Chengdu.
In a photo it shows him wearing a Port jumper and holding a Sherrin and in the background on a Soccer Pitch a group of players lined up ready to go for training.
Presumably he is/was connected to Ports efforts over there and these kind of footy stories do pop up now and then.

The story below was part of an ABC News article on my mobile.
The article covered several Aussies in China setting up their own businesses.
There is a guy from Melbourne - Tyson Murphy - who it appears is/was coaching locals in our game in the city of Chengdu.
In a photo it shows him wearing a Port jumper and holding a Sherrin and in the background on a Soccer Pitch a group of players lined up ready to go for training.
Presumably he is/was connected to Ports efforts over there and these kind of footy stories do pop up now and then.
Port haven't specifically gone to Chengdu. Gold Coast were trying to build a relationship there, think either a sponsor was funding some stuff there or there is a sister city relationship.

The guy might be just wearing a Port top, either because he is a fan, or more likely Port have provided some basic stuff for Auskick program he is involved in and they threw in a few jumpers.

Port haven't specifically gone to Chengdu. Gold Coast were trying to build a relationship there, think either a sponsor was funding some stuff there or there is a sister city relationship.

The guy might be just wearing a Port top, either because he is a fan, or more likely Port have provided some basic stuff for Auskick program he is involved in and they threw in a few jumpers.
Wow that was quick reply - must be one of the 10 watchers.

Wow that was quick reply - must be one of the 10 watchers.
That's what happens when you get an alert, you are on line and aren't in the middle of a post. :)

TWLS this is a story about GC doing Auskick clinics in Chengdu, in late 2016, which is the Gold Coast's sister city in China. One has a metro population of 18m the other 700k.

That story on ABC online about Tyson Murphy is about a couple of Aussie guys gone over there to start up selling Aussie beer and soft drink business and obviously using Aussie Rules as a way to expand. Very similar to how Aussie rules clubs have been set up in other cities around the world

The stories says the province of Sichuan - capital is Chengdu, Victoria has a sister state relationship with Sichuan and Murphy won a Victorian Government Hamer Scholarship, which indicates he went to Chengdu, but if not there, that is where he has now settled.

Ok I kept digging and Port indeed is delivery its Power Footy programs in Sichuan/Chengdu in 2019. I got it confused with Shenzhen in Guangdong where I know Port are doing Auskick type stuff. This was the announcement in August 2018.

MORE students in China will learn about Australian Rules football and be exposed to Australian culture thanks to a partnership between the Port Adelaide Football Club and the Federal Government – and South Australia will be the beneficiary.

The expansion is supported by the Australian Government through the Australia-China Council of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
In 2019, the program will expand to two new provinces – Zhejiang as well as Sichuan - and involve at least 30 schools. This expansion holds great commercial potential, with PAFC to announce private sector support for the program in the coming weeks. It also holds great economic potential for South Australia.

In early August, a significant Chinese company that supports the Power Footy program travelled to South Australia and met with the University of Adelaide, with discussions now underway to send 100 Power Footy graduates each year to the university, creating around 29 jobs in South Australia and attracting a $13 million-dollar boost to the state’s economy.

Dug around in the China thread on the port board and found this DFAT article I posted from the same time as the Port article above says they are funding $60k for Port to promote Power Footy Program across the province not just Chengdu,

Launch of Power Footy schools football program into Sichuan Province
Sector: Sport
Country location: mainland China
Grantee: Port Adelaide Football Club

Project description
Port Adelaide Football Club (PAFC) will develop and execute an Australian Rules program under the banner of Power Footy in schools in Sichuan Province. This project will include the execution of the program in participating schools in curriculum and as an after school activity.

PAFC will also develop links with sports universities in Sichuan Province to facilitate Australian Rules football to become a part of the curriculum for physical education teachers. This would ensure that teachers capable of teaching Australian Rules football would graduate each year, and be accessible to participating schools.

PAFC staff and players (past or present) would travel to Sichuan on a regular basis, for stakeholder management, promotion and expansion.
Key dates
Program announcement, Adelaide, 6 August 2018
National Power Footy Carnival, Shanghai, 7 June 2019
Ongoing program, Sichuan Province, September 2018 to August 2021
Social media: Website, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube, Facebook
Grant Offer: $60,000 (multi-year funding - $20,000 over three years)
Total project value: $260,000

Which is a topic in itself. In North America and the U.K. it is a big thing but not in Europe. The pros and cons are debatable.

Yes, and every country is different in their funding and criteria. It is essential for their to be a national organisation in the respective countries and in some cases a world organisation. The AFL is not considered a "world body" by some and that excludes some funding. In many countries it's about participation numbers. In major events like the USAFL and the Euro Cup the underwriting value can be of greater value.

In the case of Canada they were able to point to earlier gains to achieve greater access.
Just re-read the above comment about a World Body etc - Did not know that - So no FIFA type body for Aussie Rules therefore no funding from certain countries/Govts.
That is another way of looking at it.

TWLS this is a story about GC doing Auskick clinics in Chengdu, in late 2016, which is the Gold Coast's sister city in China. One has a metro population of 18m the other 700k.

That story on ABC online about Tyson Murphy is about a couple of Aussie guys gone over there to start up selling Aussie beer and soft drink business and obviously using Aussie Rules as a way to expand. Very similar to how Aussie rules clubs have been set up in other cities around the world

The stories says the province of Sichuan - capital is Chengdu, Victoria has a sister state relationship with Sichuan and Murphy won a Victorian Government Hamer Scholarship, which indicates he went to Chengdu, but if not there, that is where he has now settled.

Ok I kept digging and Port indeed is delivery its Power Footy programs in Sichuan/Chengdu in 2019. I got it confused with Shenzhen in Guangdong where I know Port are doing Auskick type stuff. This was the announcement in August 2018.

MORE students in China will learn about Australian Rules football and be exposed to Australian culture thanks to a partnership between the Port Adelaide Football Club and the Federal Government – and South Australia will be the beneficiary.

The expansion is supported by the Australian Government through the Australia-China Council of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
In 2019, the program will expand to two new provinces – Zhejiang as well as Sichuan - and involve at least 30 schools. This expansion holds great commercial potential, with PAFC to announce private sector support for the program in the coming weeks. It also holds great economic potential for South Australia.

In early August, a significant Chinese company that supports the Power Footy program travelled to South Australia and met with the University of Adelaide, with discussions now underway to send 100 Power Footy graduates each year to the university, creating around 29 jobs in South Australia and attracting a $13 million-dollar boost to the state’s economy.

Dug around in the China thread on the port board and found this DFAT article I posted from the same time as the Port article above says they are funding $60k for Port to promote Power Footy Program across the province not just Chengdu,

Launch of Power Footy schools football program into Sichuan Province
Sector: Sport
Country location: mainland China
Grantee: Port Adelaide Football Club

Project description
Port Adelaide Football Club (PAFC) will develop and execute an Australian Rules program under the banner of Power Footy in schools in Sichuan Province. This project will include the execution of the program in participating schools in curriculum and as an after school activity.

PAFC will also develop links with sports universities in Sichuan Province to facilitate Australian Rules football to become a part of the curriculum for physical education teachers. This would ensure that teachers capable of teaching Australian Rules football would graduate each year, and be accessible to participating schools.

PAFC staff and players (past or present) would travel to Sichuan on a regular basis, for stakeholder management, promotion and expansion.
Key dates
Program announcement, Adelaide, 6 August 2018
National Power Footy Carnival, Shanghai, 7 June 2019
Ongoing program, Sichuan Province, September 2018 to August 2021
Social media: Website, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube, Facebook
Grant Offer: $60,000 (multi-year funding - $20,000 over three years)
Total project value: $260,000
Thanks for all the info - It brings everyone up to date that reads this topic.
Cheers.

Just re-read the above comment about a World Body etc - Did not know that - So no FIFA type body for Aussie Rules therefore no funding from certain countries/Govts.
That is another way of looking at it.

Exactly. I have forgotten the details where this is applicable but seemingly the AFL is not a "world body" despite being "keeper of the code".
IMO, it is essential to have a world body to undertake basic functions.

Exactly. I have forgotten the details where this is applicable but seemingly the AFL is not a "world body" despite being "keeper of the code".
IMO, it is essential to have a world body to undertake basic functions.
Had to reply to this -So they are the keeper of the code - But not a World Body IE FIFA.
They are the only Body running the code - They keep the code only in Australia in all respects on a proper basis but not overseas.
The AFL would argue then that entitles them to run the Code worldwide which they do, and does not that imply they would fund the world on a similar basis to Australia.
But they don`t which leads me to think they could be challenged legally.
Until this nexus is broken no serious money will be invested ever offshore.
The only other way the AFL will change its mind if numbers grow sufficiently to force them to change their budget and attitude which should also bring forward a World Body.

The AFL would argue then that entitles them to run the Code worldwide which they do,

I'm just the messenger.

But they don`t which leads me to think they could be challenged legally.

There is no need for legal challenge. Simply set a world body for next to no money at all.
A world body wouldn't have much work to do. Simply establish some laws of the game, eligibility rules and affiliation..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back