Footy in China

NoobPie

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thinking about it the figure of 1 million dollars each to the two Clubs for that particular match I have some doubt about.
Never anywhere including on the Port Adelaide forum thread had that figure been mentioned and just seems very strange.
Would that figure be to date after the 3 matches.
If that figure is correct will some of the other cash strapped Clubs in the league get on board and why did the Suns walk away.
The Vic government is on board with the saints

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RedV3x

Club Legend
AFL Club
Fremantle
Thinking about it the figure of 1 million dollars each to the two Clubs for that particular match I have some doubt about.
So we should take your vibe over the AFL?

Never anywhere including on the Port Adelaide forum thread had that figure been mentioned and just seems very strange.
A lot of setails haven't been mentioned. I don't see why would disclose this during negoiations and not until the game is completed.

Would that figure be to date after the 3 matches.
You're joking aren't you. Standard exhibition venue fee seems to be $500,000 and then P.A.F.C. had to buy a home game on top of that.

If that figure is correct will some of the other cash strapped Clubs in the league get on board and why did the Suns walk away.
Money isn't erything and clubs don't like locking in onfield losses.

Last edited:

TWLS

All Australian
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Thread starter #129
So we should take your vibe over the AFL?
You dont have to of course but a long time on this planet tells me something is not right.
However another poster made the point that the Vic Govt is now involved from this fixture with the Saints now in - To what extent financially we do not know.
I would suggest a visit to the Port Adelaide forum and find the thread on China and have a read. It is very illuminating.

A lot of setails haven't been mentioned. I don't see why would disclose this during negoiations and not until the game is completed.
Yes we all know confidentially clauses are thrown in now in this secrecy/privacy obsessed age.

You're joking aren't you. Standard exhibition venue fee seems to be $500,000 and then P.A.F.C. had to buy a home game on top of that.
I stand corrected.

Money isn't erything and clubs don't like locking in onfield losses.
Thats right the poorer AFL Clubs dont care about money. I can tell you now that the 1 million dollar figure has been floated by Gil that will get some talk going on behind closed doors at those Clubs.

Another point is that Gil mentioned any future revenues will assist the Grassroots development and the AFLW so does that mean maybe AFL House is feeling under pressure about their particular future funding.

RedV3x

Club Legend
AFL Club
Fremantle
Thats right the poorer AFL Clubs dont care about money.
All clubs care about money, but no club is going to lock in predictable game losses like the Suns. Game losses = future gate money losses.

I can tell you now that the 1 million dollar figure has been floated by Gil that will get some talk going on behind closed doors at those Clubs.
No, because a figure would have been produced pretty soon as a replacement for the Suns was announced.
Maybe the final amount was negotiated upwards a bit but clubs would have known it was a hefty amount.

Another point is that Gil mentioned any future revenues will assist the Grassroots development and the AFLW so does that mean maybe AFL House is feeling under pressure about their particular future funding.
No. AFL is just being their usual self in saying "any future revenues" or is it "any future profits" or is it "any future profits beyond the dividend paid to the clubs involved"?. The AFL is saying that if they receive a windfall that they'll might use it in areas where previously they've been reluctant to spend money.

What the AFL hasn't said is that this is a income earned overseas so it should be considered an income stream for overseas development.
It's the same for WatchAFL. The AFL could have dedicated income earned overseas to the development of football overseas.

TWLS

All Australian
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Thread starter #131
All clubs care about money, but no club is going to lock in predictable game losses like the Suns. Game losses = future gate money losses.

No, because a figure would have been produced pretty soon as a replacement for the Suns was announced.
Maybe the final amount was negotiated upwards a bit but clubs would have known it was a hefty amount.

No. AFL is just being their usual self in saying "any future revenues" or is it "any future profits" or is it "any future profits beyond the dividend paid to the clubs involved"?. The AFL is saying that if they receive a windfall that they'll might use it in areas where previously they've been reluctant to spend money.

What the AFL hasn't said is that this is a income earned overseas so it should be considered an income stream for overseas development.
It's the same for WatchAFL. The AFL could have dedicated income earned overseas to the development of football overseas.
This last point is the crux of the whole AFL attitude to International Footy - They would prefer to spend it elsewhere ie Domestically than overseas.
They have done their sums and there is no decent returns for them if they for example start assisting some established overseas Leagues with ovals, facilities, development officers etc etc.
Another point is that is constantly ignored or overlooked is the the ICC founded in 1909 has 105 Countries affiliated with Cricket Ovals of varying standards and no moves have been made to at least commence talks for future possible use.
We will have to wait it appears for a more enlightened AFL administration to appear in the future.

RedV3x

Club Legend
AFL Club
Fremantle
They have done their sums and there is no decent returns for them if they for example start assisting some established overseas Leagues with ovals, facilities, development officers etc etc.
There is no immediate returns for the AFL but immediate returns foe Australian Football.
I have always said that it is about Australian Football and a world council is a neccessity.
Having said that, there are more development officers now, there was a goalposts grant and other one-offs etc.

Another point is that is constantly ignored or overlooked is the the ICC founded in 1909 has 105 Countries affiliated with Cricket Ovals of varying standards and no moves have been made to at least commence talks for future possible use.
I'm not big at all with the link to cricket grounds. That tends to be an AFL requirement and not an Australian Football requirement.
The biggest AFL game outside of Australia was at CFL stadium.
In 1905 the English establishment was trying to stamp out Australian Football not encourage it.
But I take your point and it's worth at least trying. Australia probably has the best stadium usuage in the world.
In the U.S.A. it is not common to share rectngular grounds because they are mostly privately owned.

We will have to wait it appears for a more enlightened AFL administration to appear in the future.
I prefer to be more pro active. IMO a world council of Australian Football is imperative to
1. Increase the profile of Australian Football overseas.
2. Advise the laws of Australian Football particular to overseas.
3. Push for a dedicated income stream for Australian Football overseas.
4, Advise on the organic growth of Australian Football overseas.

AFL Club
GWS
Here is a write up on the closer match on the Sunday between Asia and China featuring all local talent.

https://www.afl-asia.com/afl-asia-lions-breakthrough-on-big-stage-in-shanghai/
For the Asia Lions (ie non-mainland China team), can you provide information on:-
. which country each player is from
. how many snr AF games they have ever played
. how many games, if any, they have played in Australia?

Also, I assume a definitive statement would have been made by PAFC, St Kilda, and/or the AFL on the net profit each team has made from the 2019 game. What have they said specifically about the net profit for each club?
If they haven't been specific, this is very odd.

NoobPie

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Collingwood
For the Asia Lions (ie non-mainland China team), can you provide information on:-

Also, I assume a definitive statement would have been made by PAFC, St Kilda, and/or the AFL on the net profit each team has made from the 2019 game. What have they said specifically about the net profit for each club?
You're a classic BBT!

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The Mighty Blacks
F

How can they make a definite statement - before all income and expenses have been reconciled?

TWLS

All Australian
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS Giants
Thread starter #136

Wow BBT I will attempt to answer the top 3 questions only but I am being stretched.
1/ There are 11 countries competing in the 2019 AFL Asia Ladder Comp-That is the base they are from with a sprinkling of locals in each country.
2/ To my knowledge none- Remember these are locals who have been recruited by the expats in each country. The development up there has crept up on everybody and AFL Asia is doing a great job.
3/ One guy though was born in Melbourne and moved to Asia for Rugby only and is trying his hand at our game.

Here is a great article covering the 2018 Asian Championships, which highlights the men and women playing up there, and also covers the Mens PNG Team.
Note the number of Asian Women now involved from Zero 3 years ago. This highlights the significance of the arrival of the AFLW.

https://www.afl-asia.com/volcanoes-erupt-on-asias-biggest-stage/

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
Fremantle
For the Asia Lions (ie non-mainland China team), can you provide information on (AFL Asia)
Why don't you ask AFL Asia?
The statistics on AFL Asia are changing at an ever increasing rate.
What was an add hoc expat competition is now a regular international competition with an increasing number of nationals involved.
Now we see the introduction of many women's teams that are mostly nationals in composition

Also, I assume a definitive statement would have been made by PAFC, St Kilda, and/or the AFL on the net profit each team has made from the 2019 game.
Why?
I would find it very rude indeed to for P.A.F.C to state "yey, we've got the four points and made a million bucks to boot."
You don't do that in Australia and certainly you don't do that in China where respect is everything.
If I was the P.A.F.C. I would be down playing the magnitude of any China benefit.
AFL clubs get very jealous, very quickly if they they percieve any imbalance.

Top Bottom