Arsonists and bushfires

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 21, 2002
Hawaii
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Was reading that some of the current bushfires were started by arsonists and one guy died as a result.

What can be done about these sick individuals?

Aside from the difficulty of catching them and issues of punishing the mentally sick, the biggest problem is trying to identify them and stop them in the first place.

How do they know it was arsonists?

I think someone spotted these two

Hunt for teenage firebugs

December 16, 2006 - 11:56AM

The arson squad will join the hunt for two motor-bike riding teenagers suspected of starting a bushfire which led to the death of horse breeder and volunteer firefighter Donald Dosser this week.

Mr Dosser died after being run over by a fire truck as he helped fight bushfires which have ravaged Victoria's northeast and Gippsland areas.

The fire which led to Mr Dosser's death was believed to have been sparked at Coopers Creek near the intersection of the Rawson/Tyers Road and Bluff Rd about 11am Thursday.......

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/hunt-for-teenage-firebugs/2006/12/16/1166162356546.html

The amount of arsonists in the community is grossly overstated whenever we have bushfires.

It suits emergency services to do so, so they do. I really don't think we need drastic measures to deal with the "problem".

As for the genuine arsonists, we should do what we've always done. The penalties are tough for offenders and I don't think strengthening them would make any difference.

Do they ever actually catch arsonists? Tough penalties won't do much good if they can't do that.

Yes, a number of arsonists have been caught and imprisoned or fined.There have been a number of CFA members caught and imprisoned for Arson over the years.In Victoria it's 25 years for arson.

Do they ever actually catch arsonists? Tough penalties won't do much good if they can't do that.
Have heard stories of CFA volunteers catching would be arsonists in the act of starting a fire.

In one case, the police weren't contacted & I'm fairly sure the two guys caught will never light a fire again...

Have heard stories of CFA volunteers catching would be arsonists in the act of starting a fire.

In one case, the police weren't contacted & I'm fairly sure the two guys caught will never light a fire again...
I hope they gave them a bloody good hiding before handing them over. At least a damn good soaking down with a fire hose.

Most of those stories are true.But as i said in another post cfa volunteers have been known to be arsonists.

Who says they are sick?

I wish we would stop treating arsonists as sick in the head when that diminises what they do.

An excuse can be made for anyone if you use arson as an illness

A number of psychologists/psychiatrists say arsonists are sick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So the bloke who lit the fire last week that burnt 2 houses ..sick or stoopid?

It was a backyard fire that got out of control.

I think arsonists should be dealt on what they do not who they are

He was stoopid
They are dealt with as arsonists and i think you'll find a percentage of arsonists need treatment for their fixation on fire.

Arson's one of the three main behaviour's found in serial killers and psychopaths, they are sick.

I read on the net today that the koala population in Victoria could be zero after these fires. I don't care if they're sick or not they need to be shot. Or better yet set them alight and see how they like it.:mad:

So the bloke who lit the fire last week that burnt 2 houses ..sick or stoopid?

It was a backyard fire that got out of control.

I think arsonists should be dealt on what they do not who they are

that is not an arsonist ..just an idiot

ar·son (är'sən) Pronunciation Key
n. The crime of maliciously, voluntarily, and willfully setting fire to the building, buildings, or other property of another or of burning one's own property for an improper purpose, as to collect insurance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back