Practice Match - North Melbourne v Melbourne - Fri 28 Feb, 1.10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Well played on the reference. If you haven't seen Tony locketts highlights you're in for an ever better treat

It’s funny because until about an hour ago I thought “plugger” was Dunstall. I googled it before posting the reference and for the first time became aquainted with Locket. Haven’t watched highlights yet, but I will.

It’s funny because until about an hour ago I thought “plugger” was Dunstall. I googled it before posting the reference and for the first time became aquainted with Locket. Haven’t watched highlights yet, but I will.
Both were superstar goalkickers. Plugger was twice as watchable. He was everything that made Aussie rules great.

I wish I was 5-6 years sooner to the game so i could have seen more of Buddy.
It's pretty crazy but he was much better when he was 22-25. Kicked 100 goals in 2008 but the game kinda changed from then for the worse and teams became less reliant on one player.

It's pretty crazy but he was much better when he was 22-25. Kicked 100 goals in 2008 but the game kinda changed from then for the worse and teams became less reliant on one player.

Would have loved following the game back then, but I’m trying to be realistic here. I started following EPL in 2010- much before that would have been tough. Can’t imagine trying to follow AFL before a few years ago, but I could be wrong.

Last year the club uploaded the replay to the app/site. I guess they won’t be doing it this year. I’d like them to at least cut up some highlights. I watched bits and pieces but work was a little too busy.

Last year the club uploaded the replay to the app/site. I guess they won’t be doing it this year. I’d like them to at least cut up some highlights. I watched bits and pieces but work was a little too busy.
I checked both Melbourne and Norf sites. I get the impression NM might prefer to quietly pretend it never happened.

Kicked 7 in a final as a 20 year old then 113 goals the following year. Although he has maintained his elite form for the best part of 12 years, it is true that he peaked early.

His goal against Essendon in 2010 is the GOAT in my opinion because it was 100% skill and 0% fluke. The one he kicked against Collingwood near the end of the 2011 prelim would be one of the most underrated too. Imagine doing THAT under the highest pressure possible in the sport.

Kicked 7 in a final as a 20 year old then 113 goals the following year. Although he has maintained his elite form for the best part of 12 years, it is true that he peaked early.

His goal against Essendon in 2010 is the GOAT in my opinion because it was 100% skill and 0% fluke. The one he kicked against Collingwood near the end of the 2011 prelim would be one of the most underrated too. Imagine doing THAT under the highest pressure possible in the sport.
If Buddy was even a very good contested mark he'd be the greatest of all time.

Interestingly, Buddy was a Melbourne fan growing up.
He used to come into a bar I worked at a fair bit. He asked me for a free drink one day. I said he could have free drinks for life if he asked for a trade to Melbourne. He laughed in my face

Interestingly, Buddy was a Melbourne fan growing up.
He used to come into a bar I worked at a fair bit. He asked me for a free drink one day. I said he could have free drinks for life if he asked for a trade to Melbourne. He laughed in my face

Asking for a free drink...have to laugh at these guys earning a heap of cash and their attitude

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That 2011 prelim goal was pure instinct he had no time to think he just did his thing. To be honest I don't think he was even thinking about the crowd or the score.

Watch the Plugger (Tony Lockett) videos and check out The King (Wayne Carey) and God (Gary Ablett Senior)..

Allen Jakovich is my favourite highlight real for the Dees, but he was a flash in the pan compared to the aforementioned.
Jakovich's stats are pretty amazing in their own right tho- took 21 games to kick 100 goals, fastest in history alongside John Coleman. Fastest player to reach 50 goals in history (9 games). Didn't get picked for half of his debut season, and still kicked 71 goals and a lazy 50 odd in the reserves.

Could have been every bit as good as Ablett if his body held up. Classic Melbourne Demons "what if".

Jakovich's stats are pretty amazing in their own right tho- took 21 games to kick 100 goals, fastest in history alongside John Coleman. Fastest player to reach 50 goals in history (9 games). Didn't get picked for half of his debut season, and still kicked 71 goals and a lazy 50 odd in the reserves.

Could have been every bit as good as Ablett if his body held up. Classic Melbourne Demons "what if".

He was great on The Front Bar a couple years back.

I recommend the Collingwood/Hawthorn 2011 prelim as required AFL viewing

Really sad story currently unfolding with him.
Yeah can't say I find it all that upsetting really, he'll make more cash this year than most Australians make in a decade. Only problem is one of the prerequisites of his job is to take drugs surreptitiously. Not that big a deal really.

Yeah can't say I find it all that upsetting really, he'll make more cash this year than most Australians make in a decade. Only problem is one of the prerequisites of his job is to take drugs surreptitiously. Not that big a deal really.

His situation is a bit different though.. lost his father to cancer then got it himself. Already in that space, the guy has gone through some high level of trauma. Unfortunately his way of dealing with this, is turning to drugs to heal his pain. Is he getting the right support from his family and also the Fremantle football club? I have no idea, i hope he is.

I hope he can find a sense of peace in his life whenever that may be. If thats walking away from footy then it will be a good result for him.

Speaking of star forwards, I really did think Jesse Hogan was on his way to superstar forward of the decade after his first year when he booted 42 goals. I just think back to when he completely ragdoll Alex Rance on a wet Friday night..

Kicked 47 goals in 20 games for us as recently as 2018. I know there’s a lot of sensitive stuff going on with Jesse, but if we could somehow get him back to the club on the cheap and get his life/career back on track I’d be 1 million percent in favour of it.

Kicked 47 goals in 20 games for us as recently as 2018. I know there’s a lot of sensitive stuff going on with Jesse, but if we could somehow get him back to the club on the cheap and get his life/career back on track I’d be 1 million percent in favour of it.
My gut feel is that I always thought he was much happier when he was at Melbourne then back home at Freo. Was quite close with Nathan Jones as his surf buddy.
I think when his father passed on he really had no choice but to go home and be closer to his mother.

Speaking of star forwards, I really did think Jesse Hogan was on his way to superstar forward of the decade after his first year when he booted 42 goals. I just think back to when he completely ragdoll Alex Rance on a wet Friday night..

In hindsight it's not as surprising he didn't kick on as much, there's probably never been a more physically developed teenage forward in AFL/VFL history except Tony Lockett.

Was still an incredibly promising start but makes sense why he started and finished at ~45 goals a season with us.

For whatever reason to he was more dangerous as a forward in his first season than any other even though he started working up the ground more.

His situation is a bit different though.. lost his father to cancer then got it himself. Already in that space, the guy has gone through some high level of trauma. Unfortunately his way of dealing with this, is turning to drugs to heal his pain. Is he getting the right support from his family and also the Fremantle football club? I have no idea, i hope he is.

I hope he can find a sense of peace in his life whenever that may be. If thats walking away from footy then it will be a good result for him.
I'm going on vaccay with the wife next week, got a mountain of drugs in the back pocket. No trauma to speak of, not trying to heal any pain. No family support or employee welfare programs necessary... I just like having a good time.

I reckon Jesse's a bit the same tbh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back