Corona virus, Port and the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about FIFOs? Literarily one of the few things generating cash for this country is our commodity exports which we will need to cover these huge bailouts. This can't stop at all costs.
This will be a really interesting one. I work for a big helicopter company. We provide emergency rescue services across the country, as well as borderforce in Horn Island and Oil and Gas transport to the rigs off the western and northern coast. A lot of our crew are FIFO. Our people live all over the country.
If they close the state borders, we are fkd. Surely there has to be exemptions?

Last edited:
Skomo addressing nation at 11am. Wonder if schools will close

There's nothing counter intuitive about Asian countries doing better than western countries at controlling this virus. They're generally authoritarian countries where people are used to being controlled by government and told what to think and how to behave at all times. It strongly prepares them for a situation like this.

Here in 'straya or over in 'merica, we're a bunch of free people and nobody is going to tell us what to do (despite the fact that we're actually ruled by government at gun point anyway, but that's another story). Nobody will take it as seriously as it needs to be taken until the bodies start piling up and by then it will be too late.

This is correct and easy to say with hindsight.

If you could honestly say back on January 15 that Italy, the country recently rated at having the second best healthcare system in the world, would have bigger problems with this than India, I mean sure you would be correct but this would definitely have been a minority opinion.

Does giving money to business to keep people employed actually ever work?
The money dries up pretty quick when you need to close your business but still pay wages, but the government need to show they're trying and can only do so much I guess..

Maybe one day ScoMo will announce some measures to stop the spread of the virus.
Medical experts meet on Monday nights and Friday mornings. This is why the announcements of changes in measures have been on Tuesday mornings and Friday arvos.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The money dries up pretty quick when you need to close your business but still pay wages, but the government need to show they're trying and can only do so much I guess..
Yeah I honestly don't know what the right thing to do is. Just too many examples of corporate welfare going straight into the pockets of executives but this is small business so it might be the right call. Time will tell. The bump in unemployment benifits is a good call.

Oh well looks like the showdown will be our last game of footy for a while

State borders will be shut as early as tonight according to the Sunday Mail.

I don’t think the AFL will continue into rd2

Yeah I honestly don't know what the right thing to do is. Just too many examples of corporate welfare going straight into the pockets of executives but this is small business so it might be the right call. Time will tell. The bump in unemployment benifits is a good call.

Most of this money is going to small business. Just on my circumstances alone, this will keep a dozen people employed across two businesses.

Weekly showdowns
Weekly Derby’s
Weekly Q Clashes
Weekly Battle of the Bridge
And the VFL

Gil just stained his pants.

We can be creative.

U/23 Showdowns
Over 30s Showdowns
Showdowns with Rory's
Showdowns without Rory's
Indigenous Showdowns
AFLX Showdowns
Royal Rumble Showdowns

And the feds control the states, so ;)

Tell the Feds that when the bloody NSW Govt just lets cruise ships come in at will. and disembark all passengers, who travel to different States afterwards, and ten piously declares "we deemed that there was only minor risk".
FFS they should all lose their jobs over that.
Could be catastrophic consequences.

We can be creative.

U/23 Showdowns
Over 30s Showdowns
Showdowns with Rory's
Showdowns without Rory's
Indigenous Showdowns
AFLX Showdowns
Royal Rumble Showdowns

Hoedown Showdown

Status
Not open for further replies.