Corona virus and other pestilences. Poxes ‘n stuff. Part 6.

Remove this Banner Ad

You've had more pricks than a pin cushion.

Yeah a pin cushion for sure, but I have stayed out of hospital despite having contracted Covid. I reckon people get Covid these days and think they have a cold and carry on. My son the teacher has had Covid three times and on the last bout he was told that the Department no longer did Covid leave so he needed to take Long Service Leave. When he told me that I said, '* that just keep up your boosters and next time don't bother telling the bastards just keep working'. He nodded in agreement.

The moral is, vaccination will not stop you getting Covid but it sure helps minimise the symptoms, keeps you out of hospital and helps you keep working if you so choose.

Footnote: I should add that the pin cushion effect is compounded by the fact that I have also had three blood tests over the past 12 months, the first of these showed an elevated blood sugar level heading toward the late on set diabetes range. On the doctor's advice I lost 25 kilos in weight and my latest blood sugar was normal. I have also been able to drop the prescribed high blood pressure medication as my blood pressure is also down to normal.

Those shingles vaccinations are hard to come by

Yes, the pharmacist at Terry White said they will give a shingles booster but you have to book well in advance and pay for it. The only way to get a free one is to check with your GP and see if they have supplies of the free vax. Typical Government though they stick and ad on TV telling everyone to get a shingles booster then find they have not got enough vaccine. Shades of Morrison and Hunt in the early days of Covid vaccines.

Yeah a pin cushion for sure, but I have stayed out of hospital despite having contracted Covid. I reckon people get Covid these days and think they have a cold and carry on. My son the teacher has had Covid three times and on the last bout he was told that the Department no longer did Covid leave so he needed to take Long Service Leave. When he told me that I said, '* that just keep up your boosters and next time don't bother telling the bastards just keep working'. He nodded in agreement.

The moral is, vaccination will not stop you getting Covid but it sure helps minimise the symptoms, keeps you out of hospital and helps you keep working if you so choose.

Footnote: I should add that the pin cushion effect is compounded by the fact that I have also had three blood tests over the past 12 months, the first of these showed an elevated blood sugar level heading toward the late on set diabetes range. On the doctor's advice I lost 25 kilos in weight and my latest blood sugar was normal. I have also been able to drop the prescribed high blood pressure medication as my blood pressure is also down to normal.
Gee well done on the weight loss. Incredible effort

Yes, the pharmacist at Terry White said they will give a shingles booster but you have to book well in advance and pay for it. The only way to get a free one is to check with your GP and see if they have supplies of the free vax. Typical Government though they stick and ad on TV telling everyone to get a shingles booster then find they have not got enough vaccine. Shades of Morrison and Hunt in the early days of Covid vaccines.
Yes and quite a few patients had the first one but then there were no available supplies when their second was due. What a mess.

Are you sure it's the Federal Government who is doing the advertising for the new shingles vaccine (Shingrix)? Because the ones I've seen are made by the vaccine manufacturer - GlaxoSmithKline - for obvious reasons :moneybag:

The fact is the the Federal Government is not telling everyone to get the shingles vaccine - only those at high risk who they are subsidising to get it for free:

1. Individuals aged 65 and older.
  2. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander individuals aged 50 and older.
  3. Immunocompromised individuals aged 18 and above with conditions deemed ‘high risk’ for shingles.
Are you in one of those groups?

Maybe the shortage of supply is the Federal Govt doing the right thing to guarantee supply of a new vaccine in limited supply for those high risk groups?

Are you sure it's the Federal Government who is doing the advertising for the new shingles vaccine (Shingrix)? Because the ones I've seen are made by the vaccine manufacturer - GlaxoSmithKline - for obvious reasons :moneybag:

The fact is the the Federal Government is not telling everyone to get the shingles vaccine - only those at high risk who they are subsidising to get it for free:

1. Individuals aged 65 and older.
  2. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander individuals aged 50 and older.
  3. Immunocompromised individuals aged 18 and above with conditions deemed ‘high risk’ for shingles.
Are you in one of those groups?

Maybe the shortage of supply is the Federal Govt doing the right thing to guarantee supply of a new vaccine in limited supply for those high risk groups?

The videos I have seen carry the Australian Coat of Arms and have Department of Health and Aged Care at the conclusion. In addition to videos and TV ads the Federal Government also released brochures and posters as part of the National Immunisation Programme (NIP) campaign.

It is all here...

The problem is those of us in the high risk groups and eligible for free vaccination under the NIP are having difficulty getting access to the vaccine. Worse case scenario is we will pay, my wife had shingles many years ago and it was extremely painful.

Last edited:

Interesting stuff.
Maybe or maybe not. Hasn’t even been peer reviewed. Short follow up etc.
And even if if long covid sequelae we’re just like the flu, which study and study has shown they're not, the sheer number of people who catch covid over and over and over again means the population effect is many times worse.

Interesting stuff.
Is it? Have you read the report and the context? Or just grabbed the headline? Because that link is paywalled.

Here's an ABC report on the claims:

And proof - if any was really needed - that headlines can be misleading, sometimes intentionally , note this comment from the ABC story:

However, Dr Gerrard stressed he was not questioning the validity of long COVID.

"Post-viral syndromes do occur. We're absolutely saying that it does exist," Dr Gerrard said.

So to be clear the headline that long-covid does not exist is simply wrong. That is not what the research author is saying at all. He is making a comparative statement.

These media reports have surfaced following an embargoed press release that came out last week from an infectious disease conference in Spain. And what they were quoting was research from Queensland Health where they claim to have compared people with Covid-positive PCRs to influenza and followed them through.

They started off with 19,000 people and ended up with just under 25% of them (approx 3500) they followed through for 12 weeks, and their analysis of responses stated that there was no difference between the two groups (covid v influenza) in terms of the incidence and ongoing impact of the respective viruses on those infectees (if that's the right term?).

This paper will be presented to a conference in April but I think its fair to say that until the full parameters of the study have been published and scrutinised by experts, it would be foolish to make any definitive comments about the accuracy of its conclusions.

I'm not a health professional but I do know a bit about statistics and research ethics. And I'm more than a little troubled by the self nomination aspect of this Qld Health research study and the apparent lack of attention to population dynamics (specifically the no. of people who get complications from a strand of covid cf those who get complications from a particular strand of of influenza).

But let's see what the scientific consensus is when the full paper is released.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Channel 9 pivoting that performance is the main reason for sacking Tredrea and not covid issues, is absolutely a moral win for Warren. We all know that doesn't pass the pub test. Regardless of his performance, his dismissal was at the very least, 90% covid related. Whether you agree with it or not, the fact that channel 9 didn't want to take that to court and instead went with stutter rates, speaks volumes.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Is it? Have you read the report and the context? Or just grabbed the headline? Because that link is paywalled.

Here's an ABC report on the claims:

And proof - if any was really needed - that headlines can be misleading, sometimes intentionally , note this comment from the ABC story:

However, Dr Gerrard stressed he was not questioning the validity of long COVID.

"Post-viral syndromes do occur. We're absolutely saying that it does exist," Dr Gerrard said.

So to be clear the headline that long-covid does not exist is simply wrong. That is not what the research author is saying at all. He is making a comparative statement.

These media reports have surfaced following an embargoed press release that came out last week from an infectious disease conference in Spain. And what they were quoting was research from Queensland Health where they claim to have compared people with Covid-positive PCRs to influenza and followed them through.

They started off with 19,000 people and ended up with just under 25% of them (approx 3500) they followed through for 12 weeks, and their analysis of responses stated that there was no difference between the two groups (covid v influenza) in terms of the incidence and ongoing impact of the respective viruses on those infectees (if that's the right term?).

This paper will be presented to a conference in April but I think its fair to say that until the full parameters of the study have been published and scrutinised by experts, it would be foolish to make any definitive comments about the accuracy of its conclusions.

I'm not a health professional but I do know a bit about statistics and research ethics. And I'm more than a little troubled by the self nomination aspect of this Qld Health research study and the apparent lack of attention to population dynamics (specifically the no. of people who get complications from a strand of covid cf those who get complications from a particular strand of of influenza).

But let's see what the scientific consensus is when the full paper is released.
Its not paywalled for me, maybe try opening it in an incognito window to get around cookies?

And yes your point there is what I find interesting and have said for a long time. That long flu, long colds have always existed but have been largely ignored.

Channel 9 pivoting that performance is the main reason for sacking Tredrea and not covid issues, is absolutely a moral win for Warren. We all know that doesn't pass the pub test. Regardless of his performance, his dismissal was at the very least, 90% covid related. Whether you agree with it or not, the fact that channel 9 didn't want to take that to court and instead went with stutter rates, speaks volumes.

If channel 9 admit to sacking in over covid vaccination and lose, alot employers would be in deep s**t.
I'm not a health professional but I do know a bit about statistics and research ethics.

Then how could you not accept the fact that I'm yet to lose a non palliative patient to covid?
What statistics do you have of aged care patients who passed away within a 3 week period of having their covid vaccination?

Then how could you not accept the fact that I'm yet to lose a non palliative patient to covid?
Because a) you're probably lying, and b) even if you're not, one person's anecdotal experience doesn't outweigh mountains of worldwide medical research on the most heavily researched public health topic of the last 5 years?

What statistics do you have of aged care patients who passed away within a 3 week period of having their covid vaccination?
Go away you fool.

Your self-important anecdotes dished up with not one scrap of verifiable evidence and clearly doctored to fit your own personal bias are about as far removed from a qualified rigorous scientific study as is humanly possible.

Because a) you're probably lying, and b) even if you're not, one person's anecdotal evidence doesn't outweigh worldwide medical research on the most heavily researched public health topic of the last 5 years?

Not lying and uninterested in conspiracy bullshit.
When every healthcare worker I know anecdotal evidence contradicts the statistics that we are basing our opinions on.
Easy to pad stats with people who are already passing away

Go away you fool.

Your self-important anecdotes dished up with not one scrap of verifiable evidence and clearly doctored to fit your own personal bias are about as far removed from a qualified rigorous scientific study as is humanly possible.

I work in healthcare. I'm yet to have a non palliative patient pass away with covid.
It's easy to pad stats with people who are going to die regardless of their covid status.

Where is the statistics of aged care patients who passed away shortly after being vaccinated?

When every healthcare worker I know anecdotal evidence contradicts the statistics that we are basing our opinions on.
Well now you're definitely lying. You don't have to work in healthcare to know healthcare workers, I know plenty of healthcare workers too, and they'd all tell me that what you're telling me is bullshit.

Lol we've had legit had left wing Labor LBGT doctors come out and say their requests for research around vaccine effects was denied and they were gagged from speaking about it, but people still utterly refuse to accept that research from pharmaceutical companies making vaccines is anything less than 100% accurate, ethical, and transparent, and complete denial that it's possible to manipulate studies and results to fit a narrative.

Well now you're definitely lying. You don't have to work in healthcare to know healthcare workers, I know plenty of healthcare workers too, and they'd all tell me that what you're telling me is bullshit.

I have absolutely no reason to lie. I have worked with hundreds of nurses and dozens of doctors over the last 4 years.
Are you saying they are all lying?

I have absolutely no reason to lie. I have worked with hundreds of nurses and dozens of doctors over the last 4 years.
Are you saying they are all lying?
No, I'm saying you are.

Not lying and uninterested in conspiracy bullshit.
Easy to pad stats with people who are already passing away
Every Health Care worker you know? What a load of BS.
I know at least a hundred, probably more HCW and not one has said this and they’re all happily vaccinated themselves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back