Opinion Commentary & Media IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure why some are quick to defend Eddie McGuire on this issue because he's dead wrong. In the current circumstances, people are justified in seeking their money if they so choose. Not all will but they deserve to make their own decisions and be spared the emotional BS. As if one of the most succesful sporting competions in the world is going to be no more. In the end, as much as we love the caper, it's a cabal for a select few, Eddie included. He's incredibly thin skinned for a bloke who loves dishing it out.

We’ll never be a good team for him.

What he doesn’t realise is that it’s our style that puts other teams ‘off their game by an inch’.
It ain’t an accident.

If Wallet is ever giving us some positive media, then you should put all your money on the context being in hindsight.

Another bankable comment in recent times is being "SURPRISED" when Hawthorns has an early season win

I'm not sure why some are quick to defend Eddie McGuire on this issue because he's dead wrong. In the current circumstances, people are justified in seeking their money if they so choose. Not all will but they deserve to make their own decisions and be spared the emotional BS. As if one of the most succesful sporting competions in the world is going to be no more. In the end, as much as we love the caper, it's a cabal for a select few, Eddie included. He's incredibly thin skinned for a bloke who loves dishing it out.
What do people want him to do, send out an email to all the members saying "if you want a refund follow this link"? I don't think he's trying to guilt trip anyone, nor do I think he wouldn't give a refund if someone requested it. At the end of the day he's just Joffa in a suit and wants to keep his club strong in a very difficult time.

Requoting - worth the read.

Anyone on social media should throw some kudos Rohan's way.

I don't know when football and the associated media changed from wanting to pummel another team on a given day to pissing contests about membership numbers and supporters hoping other clubs go under.

I just read Rohan’s article and it is well worth taking the time to read it. I wish there were more footy journos around like him these days.

The Saints were decent in the first half. But i think it’s fair to say that their dominance was more down to our players being putrid rather than any brilliance on their part.

Wallace is in total denial. To describe us as “honest” and St Kilda as “superstars” is utterly bizarre.

In the past people have tried the “honest, blue collar, missing X Factor” etc. Maybe when our midfield was primarily Swallow, Cunnington, Ziebell, Greenwood and Gibson on the wing, this was somewhat fair. However, it hasn’t been true for a long time. It is increasingly falser each year.

Goldstein, Cunnington, Higgins and Simpkin is one of the more classy and exciting centre square combos in the comp. If media people continue running this line, by the end of this season they’ll lose all credibility.

St Kilda were s**t in the first half, we were so much worse, had they been even close to competent they’d have shut us out of the game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The stupid part of this is there is just no chance of us merging and becoming the Tassie team,all the way through the Tassie people have said they want there own team or no team at all and fans have backed that up the last few years by not turning up to ours and hawks games,we would get crowds of under 5,000 against half the teams.

Last edited:
The stupid part of this is there is just no chance of us merging and becoming the Tassie team,all the way through the Tassie people have said our team or no team and fans have backed that up the last few years by not turning up to ours and hawks games,we would get crowds of under 5,000 against half the teams.

Their opinion doesn't really enter in to the equation.

They have zero power if they don't have a membership.

Shots fired

Hands off North, expansion clubs should be the ones in the gun
Wayne Carey
Two-time AFL premiership captain
April 2, 2020 — 3.30pm

I've never been what you'd call a passionate North Melbourne fan.

I mean I loved the club, the success we had and the people who made it what it was, but in retirement I was never one to lose sleep if the Kangaroos lost, or party if they won. It meant talk of the club's future was never really front of mind.

But now, hearing North Melbourne again being linked with relocation, it's impossible not to feel a sense of frustration and disappointment. Maybe that emotional attachment means I'm growing up a little, or maybe, like a lot of fans, I'm simply sick of those who seem intent on erasing 150 years of history.

As my kids grow older, and inevitably one day ask me who I played for, I want to be able to say: "North Melbourne", and point to a real club. Not the Gold Coast Kangaroos, the Tasmanian Kangaroos or even the Northern Kangaroos. North Melbourne.

North have always been willing to think outside the square when it comes to footy and the club's place in the game. In the '90s, we pioneered Friday night football.

We played in Sydney at a time the Swans were still finding their feet and, no doubt, that put a few noses out of joint. Trying to take clinics at schools that were rugby or rugby league mad isn't all that easy now, let alone back then.

Then came matches in Canberra, before some were pushing us to the Gold Coast. Thankfully that was rejected strongly by the members and the board, and it has proved to be the right decision because we've seen how difficult it is to run a successful team up there.

More recently the club has turned to Tasmania. Clearly, a lot of these decisions have been aimed at improving the club's bottom line and it must be said the Roos have posted a profit in 11 of the past 12 years. How can a club with that financial record be moved on?

Gillon McLachlan has already said he plans to have 18 teams when the footy's crisis eventually comes to an end – but for how long?

If the AFL is to make a call on the viability of the competition, then surely Gold Coast and GWS must be put under the microscope before North. That's not to try to spell the end for those expansion clubs. I don't want to see anyone out of a job. As we've seen during the current crisis, it's been terribly sad to see the number of people being stood down.

The Giants have built a great culture and are led by fantastic people in chief executive Dave Matthews and coach Leon Cameron. There are many other diligent workers beneath them.

Even at the Suns, I'm sure everyone is striving to get better.

But the AFL has tipped millions of dollars into those clubs and will need to keep doing so well into the future. Can we afford to keep doing it?

Those clubs will, of course, point to participation rates and Auskick levels and how they've increased since they've had a presence in Western Sydney and Queensland, which is a good argument. But, in my opinion, Auskick rates can also be a bit wishy-washy. At times, it can be a glorified baby-sitting service rather than the starting point for new players or fans.

It's also worth noting what a 16-team competition would do for talent levels right across the AFL. There's no doubt the talent pool has been diluted by having two extra clubs. Right now, I don't think we have enough talent for 18 teams. Imagine the best players at the Giants and Suns spread across the AFL. The standard of games would almost certainly improve.

Is the increase in television rights or participation rates provided by having two extra clubs enough to justify their existence? It's a question only those at the very top of the game can answer.

But one thing is for sure, if North is shipped off to Tassie we'll see a number of fans lost to the game - much like we did when Fitzroy became the Brisbane Lions. While some might say I'm biased being a North Melbourne person, I want to protect the history of every club. Whether it be St Kilda or Melbourne, Carlton, or anyone.

I'm a dreamer. Will footy be refined? Sure. But I dream that the AFL will be spared the tough decision of moving or culling any clubs and that footy will soon get back to what it was before this crisis.

Last edited:
This is great, but I wonder if this response is keeping the debate alive. In my mind, and seemingly the club's mind, it's dead and buried. After this week, let's ignore it.

I prefer it being kept alive through staunch opposition and derision rather than constant speculation by the parasites of the AFL media tbh

I mean I loved the club, the success we had and the people who made it what it was, but in retirement I was never one to lose sleep if the Kangaroos lost, or party if they won. It meant talk of the club's future was never really front of mind.

A very welcome article and another encouraging filip from the North alumni.

But the quoted is exactly the problem I hope we've dug up, triaged and ensured never occurs again.

The best player in AFL and North Melbourne history has acknowledged that in retirement that he typically didn't give a toss whether we rose or fell.

Can you imagine Nick Riewoldt, Jonathan Brown, Matthew Richardson or Chris Grant ever relating to their clubs in that way?

And great players that they all were - none were Wayne Carey nor with the exception of Brown enjoyed the team success he did.

Hopefully this sort of attitude from the entire past player contingent is behind us but it's a telling statement in its honesty.

Shots fired

Hands off North, expansion clubs should be the ones in the gun
Wayne Carey
Two-time AFL premiership captain
April 2, 2020 — 3.30pm

But now, hearing North Melbourne again being linked with relocation, it's impossible not to feel a sense of frustration and disappointment. Maybe that emotional attachment means I'm growing up a little, or maybe, like a lot of fans, I'm simply sick of those who seem intent on erasing 150 years of history.

As my kids grow older, and inevitably one day ask me who I played for, I want to be able to say: "North Melbourne", and point to a real club. Not the Gold Coast Kangaroos, the Tasmanian Kangaroos or even the Northern Kangaroos. North Melbourne.

North have always been willing to think outside the square when it comes to footy and the club's place in the game. In the '90s, we pioneered Friday night football.

We played in Sydney at a time the Swans were still finding their feet and, no doubt, that put a few noses out of joint. Trying to take clinics at schools that were rugby or rugby league mad isn't all that easy now, let alone back then.

Then came matches in Canberra, before some were pushing us to the Gold Coast. Thankfully that was rejected strongly by the members and the board, and it has proved to be the right decision because we've seen how difficult it is to run a successful team up there.

More recently the club has turned to Tasmania. Clearly, a lot of these decisions have been aimed at improving the club's bottom line and it must be said the Roos have posted a profit in 11 of the past 12 years. How can a club with that financial record be moved on?

Gillon McLachlan has already said he plans to have 18 teams when the footy's crisis eventually comes to an end – but for how long?

If the AFL is to make a call on the viability of the competition, then surely Gold Coast and GWS must be put under the microscope before North. That's not to try to spell the end for those expansion clubs. I don't want to see anyone out of a job. As we've seen during the current crisis, it's been terribly sad to see the number of people being stood down.

The Giants have built a great culture and are led by fantastic people in chief executive Dave Matthews and coach Leon Cameron. There are many other diligent workers beneath them.

Even at the Suns, I'm sure everyone is striving to get better.

But the AFL has tipped millions of dollars into those clubs and will need to keep doing so well into the future. Can we afford to keep doing it?

Those clubs will, of course, point to participation rates and Auskick levels and how they've increased since they've had a presence in Western Sydney and Queensland, which is a good argument. But, in my opinion, Auskick rates can also be a bit wishy-washy. At times, it can be a glorified baby-sitting service rather than the starting point for new players or fans.

It's also worth noting what a 16-team competition would do for talent levels right across the AFL. There's no doubt the talent pool has been diluted by having two extra clubs. Right now, I don't think we have enough talent for 18 teams. Imagine the best players at the Giants and Suns spread across the AFL. The standard of games would almost certainly improve.

Is the increase in television rights or participation rates provided by having two extra clubs enough to justify their existence? It's a question only those at the very top of the game can answer.

But one thing is for sure, if North is shipped off to Tassie we'll see a number of fans lost to the game - much like we did when Fitzroy became the Brisbane Lions. While some might say I'm biased being a North Melbourne person, I want to protect the history of every club. Whether it be St Kilda or Melbourne, Carlton, or anyone.

I'm a dreamer. Will footy be refined? Sure. But I dream that the AFL will be spared the tough decision of moving or culling any clubs and that footy will soon get back to what it was before this crisis.

One thing I didnt factor in because we havnt relly seen it is that all these champions eventually become rusted on supporters like the rest of us. Success does that.
And theyre all family men now.
Most of us have justified our memberships in the past decade in what was a very mediocre term for us and we justified it by wanting to ensure the next generation has a football club to watch and be apart of. Seems its flowed on to a few of our legends.

Thank * theyre using that voice for the right reasons.

Last edited:
Best thing he did.

This bit:
BARRETT: Do you reckon I was holding my own Hutch!?

HUTCHISON: No!… that’s a classic example of why you should not get yourself in those situations… and then you turned on me and said ‘you started this!’

This bit goes to prove that Jabba the Hutch is the guy who throws others under the bus just like with Caro. Gets them to see his point of view and stokes the fires and then let's their mouth get them into trouble. He's a Grub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back