Multiplat AFL Evolution 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne definitely a better team than Richmond so I think that's pretty accurate 😂
Definetely needs some tidying up. In the end though, I wonder if it will be like most sports games where everyone plays the OP teams and players? Hopefully people play their own teams so we get a good mix online.

I'm a Tiger fan obviously, but I don't want to play Collingwood, the Eagles and another Richmond every match...

*I haven't bought the game yet.

Not sure why these games find this so difficult. Easiest solution would be to default to next tallest player if both first and second choice rucks are unavailable for whatever reason. Might not be totally realistic (eg Eagles often use Darling as ruck when the ball is in the forward line, and I believe Kennedy is taller), but better than the randomness they tend to go with instead.

Oh well. It's not the be all and end all I guess.
Half time, and I can say that when Acres hasn’t been in the ruck they’ve been putting in actual tall players like Brennan Cox.

edit - Acres is injured, and all the ruckmen since have been tall.

Just had my first online game. Was genuinely thrilling. We ****ed up in that I was playing as Coll in clash strip vs him Geelong in home with white shorts (so it was just a sea of white and stripes everywhere). But the actual gameplay was awesome.

I was 19 pts down at half time and came back to win by a kick. Haven't had that sort of excitement playing an AFL game since Live 1 online.

A few thoughts in my head from now having played two matches against the AI (first on the default 'rising star' difficultly, second on whatever the third-highest difficult is):

• There's so much more space now on the ground. Handball chains are really effective and can get you out of trouble quickly.
  • There are genuine paddocks at times. I've had the opportunity coming out of half-back and up the wing to take two, three bounces. That would never happen in any previous AFL game.
  • On that, the forward press is a thing. There were a few stoppages and close contests in my forward 50 in the late stage of the third quarter. I was a couple of goals down and pushing hard for a steadier before the break. My opponent was able to get a clearing kick out of defence and there was literally no one in his forward half. It became a foot-race between my defender and his forward; it was awesome.
  • It feels easier to spot up players with a short pass, but I still have to get my head around using the stab pass in that case instead of the normal, slightly loopy kick.

• Kicking out from full-back you will now almost always find a free man in either back pocket. This reflects real-life tactics. It's good.
  • Locking on to players takes a bit of getting used to. It's R1 now and the right stick, whereas I believe it used to be L2. Doesn't seem as intuitive on first try.
  • Marking will also be a bit of a learning curve. Happy that it's not so timing based anymore, and the brace button will be a godsend so long as I remember to use it.
  • Camera angles is my main bug-bear right now. I feel like end-to-end is necessary so you can see down the ground and what's ahead, whether players are leading etc. But that makes the switch kick pretty impossible because when you use the left stick to change where your player is aiming, the camera doesn't pan with you. So you essentially have to kick up the line, or kick blind. Side or dynamic camera has the issue of blindly booting the ball into your forward line. Happy to hear from people what camera you suggest!

• All the logos and guernseys from the state leagues are still from 2019, which for someone who pays attention to that stuff like me is a bit annoying.
  • I turned off 'music' after hearing the soundtrack through once. There are a couple of songs on there that I actually enjoy and I don't want them burnt into my brain. Tbf, I do this for FIFA too. A word of warning though – if you turn off 'SFX' as well (because the sounds made whenever you exit in and out of a new menu are quite annoying), it turns off the sirens at the start and end of the quarter too. So I'm gonna have to live with shitty menu sounds unfortunately.
  • The frame rate seems a bit... choppy? I don't know what I can do to improve this, or whether it's my PS4, but there's not much smoothness at all. I don't know if that's because there's 36 players on the ground, but it feels like it runs at less than 30 fps.

Those that ordered through JB - have yours come yet?
Mine was delivered just before 10 am this morning but not around so they dropped it off at a local post office/newsagent for me to pick up later. They leave a card saying "Sorry, we missed you" with consignment number. Will go down and pick it up in five minutes.

Just had my first online game. Was genuinely thrilling. We f’ed up in that I was playing as Coll in clash strip vs him Geelong in home with white shorts (so it was just a sea of white and stripes everywhere). But the actual gameplay was awesome.

I was 19 pts down at half time and came back to win by a kick. Haven't had that sort of excitement playing an AFL game since Live 1 online.

A few thoughts in my head from now having played two matches against the AI (first on the default 'rising star' difficultly, second on whatever the third-highest difficult is):

• There's so much more space now on the ground. Handball chains are really effective and can get you out of trouble quickly.
  • There are genuine paddocks at times. I've had the opportunity coming out of half-back and up the wing to take two, three bounces. That would never happen in any previous AFL game.
  • On that, the forward press is a thing. There were a few stoppages and close contests in my forward 50 in the late stage of the third quarter. I was a couple of goals down and pushing hard for a steadier before the break. My opponent was able to get a clearing kick out of defence and there was literally no one in his forward half. It became a foot-race between my defender and his forward; it was awesome.
  • It feels easier to spot up players with a short pass, but I still have to get my head around using the stab pass in that case instead of the normal, slightly loopy kick.

• Kicking out from full-back you will now almost always find a free man in either back pocket. This reflects real-life tactics. It's good.
  • Locking on to players takes a bit of getting used to. It's R1 now and the right stick, whereas I believe it used to be L2. Doesn't seem as intuitive on first try.
  • Marking will also be a bit of a learning curve. Happy that it's not so timing based anymore, and the brace button will be a godsend so long as I remember to use it.
  • Camera angles is my main bug-bear right now. I feel like end-to-end is necessary so you can see down the ground and what's ahead, whether players are leading etc. But that makes the switch kick pretty impossible because when you use the left stick to change where your player is aiming, the camera doesn't pan with you. So you essentially have to kick up the line, or kick blind. Side or dynamic camera has the issue of blindly booting the ball into your forward line. Happy to hear from people what camera you suggest!

• All the logos and guernseys from the state leagues are still from 2019, which for someone who pays attention to that stuff like me is a bit annoying.
  • I turned off 'music' after hearing the soundtrack through once. There are a couple of songs on there that I actually enjoy and I don't want them burnt into my brain. Tbf, I do this for FIFA too. A word of warning though – if you turn off 'SFX' as well (because the sounds made whenever you exit in and out of a new menu are quite annoying), it turns off the sirens at the start and end of the quarter too. So I'm gonna have to live with shitty menu sounds unfortunately.
  • The frame rate seems a bit... choppy? I don't know what I can do to improve this, or whether it's my PS4, but there's not much smoothness at all. I don't know if that's because there's 36 players on the ground, but it feels like it runs at less than 30 fps.

This is the sort of feedback I've been hanging out for. Thank you!

Sounds great. Running bounces, handball chains, everything I've been wanting since forever, and like you say, something that hasn't been possible before.

Cannot wait!

EDIT: You mentioned a foot race between forward and defender. How'd that go? Did the speed differences between the players in question match real life? Just thinking back to Live 1 when Sandi could run down Yarran.

Anyone got insider news on best way to get this game ASAP. I'm from Adelaide and every EB store has long sold out and JB HiFi are online only orders. You can pre-order again tonight with EB but won't come until middle to late last week just when my Annual leave will end so trying to secure a copy before then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone got insider news on best way to get this game ASAP. I'm from Adelaide and every EB store has long sold out and JB HiFi are online only orders. You can pre-order again tonight with EB but won't come until middle to late last week just when my Annual leave will end so trying to secure a copy before then.
Have you called the Ingle Farm and Mt Barker stores? It says they have stock on the website.

Round 1 vs Freo, Bombers sneak away with the 4 point victory. Andrew Brayshaw decided to play on twice in the last 5 minutes on potential set shots from about 50 out and sprayed both on the full.

Pretty accurate to what happened in real life round 1!

Devon Smith starred with 5 goals.

Have you called the Ingle Farm and Mt Barker stores? It says they have stock on the website.

I haven't called Mount Barker because of the distance, I live near Gawler and assume if they wont hold like Elizabeth told me then Id likely not get there in time but Ingle Farm told me they were sold out which is really weird. Calling again brb

I haven't called Mount Barker because of the distance, I live near Gawler and assume if they wont hold like Elizabeth told me then Id likely not get there in time but Ingle Farm told me they were sold out which is really weird. Calling again brb

Looks like only MT Barker showing now.. I'll try and call, buy over the phone then go pick up but their line is busy

Hopefully changing the variable from surname to height in the code that governs this is easy enough!
Actually, I must’ve mixed up players. Lobb and Pearce rucked the majority after the injury...

I think maybe the online system is stuffing up because it now says Ingle Farm is out of stock, but Castle Plaza is in stock... very odd.

Im really struggling to find a decent camera angle, apart from that it plays well. Just annoying I can never see what I'm doing
I’ve stuck with the side on for now. I’ve decided not being able to hit the switch kick is more costly than bombing forwards blindly.

I think maybe the online system is stuffing up because it now says Ingle Farm is out of stock, but Castle Plaza is in stock... very odd.

Yeah agreed, sounds like they've been inundated with calls so the system is trying to keep up. Just to confirm you don't have a click and collect option when you view the game on EBs site?

deffs need a good camera angle right now dynamic is the one im rocking with but so far actually loving it

need to play with the sliders ai miss the easiest of shots

Remove this Banner Ad

Back