Footy Bash – New Arcade AFL Game Like NBA Jam and Super Blood Hockey

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome to the madhouse, best of luck with the game.

Under promising and over delivering is a winning technique round these parts 😬

I'm keen to play. Love me a good arcade style game and I reckon footy is a very compatible sport for that kind of over the top craziness/awesomeness. The more over the top the better, I say! I'm increasingly of the opinion that a truly accurate simulation is impossible, and even if it was, probably wouldn't be a lot of fun, mainly because of how big a footy oval is, the number of players on field, and all the problems with a playable camera angle that brings.

Anyway, loved Speedball 2, loved NBA Jam, have wishlisted this on Steam and excited to see what you bring to the table :)

No? There's a lot of contested play and zones that force players to hand pass around, chip kick around, get into a lot of tackling, fending off, run and chasing, harassing of the ball carrier. It's not a game where it's ultimately, kick, mark, goal. It's a lot of fighting and struggle just to get to goal most of the time. A lot of that stuff could be adapted into an arcade style, especially the tackling, and fending off stuff. I was more impressed with that arcade American football game Legend Bowl made by one guy, because he made the game actually like the sport but in an arcadey fashion, no Mickey Mouse stuff.

Footy Bash looks too much like a Newgrounds Flash game, plays too slowly, assets and animations look really off, they really should be changed to a better 2D aesthetic (ie Legend Bowl) and the gameplay would get old after 5 minutes of just "kick, mark, goal". I think the size of that field and it being 3D could work, but all the players are just in 1v1 positions, there's no zones, no out numbers, and there doesn't seem to be any multiple v multiple contested plays either. If you want it to stand out and make it replayable, there needs to be more advanced contested play mechanics, ie fumbling the ball when mark attempting, diving mark attempts, multiple v multiple tackling, fending off, spins, tunnel hand passing to self, custom formations, and playbooks like Legend Bowl, or else it'd be the same thing over and over again.
Do you not feel that's expecting a bit much from a game like this? It does say it has a similar feel to NBA Jam, and how close do you reckon that is to the real thing? Got to cut corners to make it simple, easy to pick up and play, and fun. Isn't that that the arcade genre/style is about overall?

Do you not feel that's expecting a bit much from a game like this? It does say it has a similar feel to NBA Jam, and how close do you reckon that is to the real thing? Got to cut corners to make it simple, easy to pick up and play, and fun. Isn't that that the arcade genre/style is about overall?
No? Look at Legend Bowl made by one guy, and this game is nothing like NBA Jam, I don't get that comparison. That game is way more faster with completely different gameplay, art style and some wild animations, this is more like a Flash Newgrounds game.

No? Look at Legend Bowl made by one guy, and this game is nothing like NBA Jam, I don't get that comparison. That game is way more faster with completely different gameplay, art style and some wild animations, this is more like a Flash Newgrounds game.
Fair enough. I got the comparison because they're both dressed-down casual experiences of the sports. I just don't think the game would be any better adding a lot of the realistic aspects of AFL like you mentioned in the first paragraph. In saying that, it does look a little on the slow/sluggish side. If there were a few ammendments there to speed it up and make it slicker overall, I could see myself enjoying it as a decent pick-up and play option for when time is limited.

C'mon man have you read the impressions from people who have actually played the game? Unlike others these guys aren't afraid to share the impressions from actual gaming journalists (as opposed to the influencers with exclusive though tightly controlled access others rely on).

Much prefer the way they're showing it how it actually looks (at an early stage of development remember) as opposed to Mason Cox gifs and the absurd ridiculousness of THE COIN TOSS.

Fair enough. I got the comparison because they're both dressed-down casual experiences of the sports. I just don't think the game would be any better adding a lot of the realistic aspects of AFL like you mentioned in the first paragraph. In saying that, it does look a little on the slow/sluggish side. If there were a few ammendments there to speed it up and make it slicker overall, I could see myself enjoying it as a decent pick-up and play option for when time is limited.
There's no replayability and it'd just be like any other footy game if it's 1v1 in set positions and nothing more. Like I said, Legend Bowl which is an arcade game was far more in depth, which gives it plenty of 'replayability'.

Much prefer the way they're showing it how it actually looks (at an early stage of development remember)
I do hope they overhaul the art, animations and gameplay. I like how they're trying to make a cartoony "violent" version of the sport, but it looks like a Newgrounds Flash game, as opposed to a NES or SNES aesthetic.
as opposed to Mason Cox gifs and the absurd ridiculousness of THE COIN TOSS.
If only they gave that budget to the gameplay.

Cheers mate, and likewise to you! Would be great to have a chat one day about the projects for sure.
Thanks mate!

Great to see other Aussie devs working on an Aussie rules game. Not enough of them around.

Mines a bit of a slow burn being a solo dev and all. Hopefully it releases one day.

You guys have made great strides in a short time and I am very keen to play day one!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back