Switch Super Mario Bros. Wonder

Remove this Banner Ad

Was hoping for an Odyssey follow up but this does look fun.

Hopefully the next 3d Mario will launch with a new console next year.

Was hoping for an Odyssey follow up but this does look fun.

Hopefully the next 3d Mario will launch with a new console next year.

I thought it wasn't that long but it's been out as long as the Switch! Kinda crazy only one Mario 3D game in a gen.

A new console next year is definitely due, but makes me wonder why they didn't hold off another year to release Tears on a new console and take advantage of (hopefully) much better hardware.

Last edited:
I thought it wasn't that long but it's been out as long as the Switch! Kinda crazy only one Mario 3D game in a gen.

A new console next year is definitely due, but makes me wonder why they didn't hold off another year to release Tears on a new console and take advantage of (hopefully) much better hardware.

There no reason for Nintendo to update the switch, it still sells very well and the huge base means that any first party game sells as well.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

There no reason for Nintendo to update the switch, it still sells very well and the huge base means that any first party game sells as well.

Yeah but some of us don't really care about Nintendo's bottom line and just want a machine with modern capabilities.

I say this as a massive Nintendo fanboy, but in 2024 it will be 7 years since the release of the Switch. Compared with other consoles and Nintendo's own console releases, that's pretty much bang on end of the cycle if not longer.

Don't think anyone ever expects Nintendo to put out top of the line hardware. Their point of difference has been hardware flexibility and IP.

Cost difference aside, when you have handhelds like SteamDeck and AyoNeo that are essentially portable mid range PCs, then they only have IP now as the point of difference.

As far as in-house flagship IP goes, they've only released two Zelda games and one 3D Mario in seven years. These aren't games as a service, have online multiplayer (I think) or have continuous DLC releases either.

Not taking anything away from the games themselves (been awesome) but that ain't enough IMO.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely, the games are typically fantastic but the simple fact is they could be even better.

Quite a few videos on YouTube showing people emulating Tears in 4K and 60 FPS, opened my eyes to the possibilities there.

Yeah but some of us don't really care about Nintendo's bottom line and just want a machine with modern capabilities.

Money talks though.

Also worth remembering Nintendo haven’t really transitioned well between consoles lately, they need to make sure they get it right. They don’t want another wii u haha.

How do they make it more powerful without sacrificing battery life, size etc? Which is their advantage over Steam Deck and the ROG (aside from the games).

How do they make it more powerful without sacrificing battery life, size etc? Which is their advantage over Steam Deck and the ROG (aside from the games).

That's for them to work out, I'm not an electronics engineer. 😅

Their main point of difference compared to the other handhelds is in fact the games and their brand recognition, your average consumer isn't going to massively sweat a drop in battery life.

They just need to price it in line with the other consoles.

Had a quick go this morning. The Wonder flower aspect is bonkers. The score, effects and graphics are super crisp.

Nothing ground breaking, but it's a proven formula and good improvement on previous installments. Just wish they released them more regularly.

Lot of fun. Highly recommend.

I love some Mario, so I've just smashed a few hours of this to the point it looks like I've finished World 1 (though I bet there's some stuff I've missed). Really polished stuff, the level gimmicks remind me of Yoshi's Island so far, which is a winner because I reckon I'd just about call that my favourite game ever.

Hoping the difficulty ramps up a bit from here but it's highly recommended so far.

profoundly disappointing imo. i ******* hate the control scheme and the general approach to it, it sucks complete dick having to hold the run button constantly when there's no reason to ever not be running, and also have to use the same button for every power up action, without any menu option to always run or put them on separate buttons or anything like that. there's also no analogue movement, meaning in the few segments where the gameplay could benefit from omnidirectional controls, like the dolphin swimming ability, you're just locked in 8 directions. it's like they designed the game for a wii remote even though there's no context in which someone playing on the switch will not have access to 4 face buttons, an analogue stick and 2 shoulder buttons at least.

when they announced the game, it looked like this would finally be a step towards modernising 2D mario which had become incredibly stagnant and backwards-thinking in every aspect. It does do that with the artstyle, kind of, it's still not really very exciting, but it just makes it even more stark how they've completely neglected to do the same thing with the archaic controls. reviewers are fawning over this game like it's something truly innovative, and compared to New Super Mario Bros U it is, but that's a profoundly low bar. Nintendo are not pushing the limits of anything here. It feels like a game from 2009 and it controls like a game from 1989.

profoundly disappointing imo. i ******* hate the control scheme and the general approach to it, it sucks complete dick having to hold the run button constantly when there's no reason to ever not be running, and also have to use the same button for every power up action, without any menu option to always run or put them on separate buttons or anything like that. there's also no analogue movement, meaning in the few segments where the gameplay could benefit from omnidirectional controls, like the dolphin swimming ability, you're just locked in 8 directions. it's like they designed the game for a wii remote even though there's no context in which someone playing on the switch will not have access to 4 face buttons, an analogue stick and 2 shoulder buttons at least.

when they announced the game, it looked like this would finally be a step towards modernising 2D mario which had become incredibly stagnant and backwards-thinking in every aspect. It does do that with the artstyle, kind of, it's still not really very exciting, but it just makes it even more stark how they've completely neglected to do the same thing with the archaic controls. reviewers are fawning over this game like it's something truly innovative, and compared to New Super Mario Bros U it is, but that's a profoundly low bar. Nintendo are not pushing the limits of anything here. It feels like a game from 2009 and it controls like a game from 1989.
Sounds like the 2D version of Oddessy

Interesting perspective on it all. I like the simplicity of it all, it's why these sorts of games and your Mario Karts and whatever speak to me - even something like Zelda I find myself having to really stop and think about which buttons to push in certain situations and can only imagine games like Spiderman on PS5 would be worse for me.

That being said even I thought it was super lame how minimal the button remapping options were. Don't see why button remapping shouldn't be just baked into every game and even just into console software as a whole, if I want jump on the weirdest button imaginable it should be my choice.

I think the level design is where this is an absolute king and where it feels fresh, even if technically each of the levels probably couldn't be pulled off on older platforms in previous games it all feels new and exciting to me.

Interesting to hear the perspective though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back