Preview Rnd 2 - Carlton v Melbourne Saturday 13th June 4.35PM @ Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vanilla gets a bad wrap...… pour a bit of chocolate sauce on it and presto …..Jack Martin ;) :thumbsu: :D
Our most exciting mature age recruit since Judd and nothing vanilla about his debut.

So excited about him building on that. Throw Eddie in the mix and we have a much more potent look about us. (banana and crushed nuts on top of the sauce!)

Also think Mr. Moustache , McGov will show all this year he is ready to step up and become a top liner. (Should be 100% now and raring to go)
For the first time in years our forward line looks dangerous even without Charlie.
When he comes back next season he will be the FLAKE chocolate bar in the middle of the cone :p
Murphy adds the banana, he is Mr Banana

Several players really disappointed in our first game - McGovern & Setterfield in particular. I'm expecting McKay and Betts will make a huge difference though, including less quick rebounds that constantly have us on the back foot.
Think Gov will be the big beneficiary of Harry back ,Setters may struggle to get a guernsey at this point. Probably find out if D.T. has backed him in.

How is the Dees list looking?....are they all over their pre season as we are?
We have been touted as beeing bottom 4 again this year.....yep bottom 4
We have to take the Dees.....
We have to try and win half our games in 2020 or close to it
I believe we have trained properly and are fit.....more so than past several years
We need guys such as Stocker and Walsh.......We require MONGREL
Please don’t put stocker in the same conversation as Walsh. We haven’t seen him do s**t yet. He’s a second year player and should be getting a game until year 4 or 5 if we’ve built this team correctly. Williamson, Newman and SPS are ahead in the backline. Dow O’Brien fisher And setters are ahead in the midfield and he’s no chance displacing Cuningham Martin in the forward line. I’m getting sick and tired of hearing his name. Let him develop.

Last edited:
Define "hold their own". Richmond had just 2 players with more than 20 touches in round 1 (Prestia and Martin) then it was Cotchin with 19 and Baker with 16.

We had Martin, Fisher, Casboult, SPS, Simpson, Murphy, Docherty & Cripps with more than 16 touches.

Players like Fisher, Martin, Dow & Setters (possibly Newnes, O'brien or Williamson) are all capable of "holding their own" at the same level as Richmond's second tier mids - where we let ourselves down is in disposal efficiency (Richmond went at 80.1% and we went at 68.6%) and making the most of our inside 50's (an area we won 54-48). The addition of Betts and McKay into our forward line will help in the second area. The first area remains a worry but I think if we can steal a few wins against average opponents in the first 4 weeks (all but Geelong seem winnable) and grow some confidence our disposal efficiency will increase.
A lot to do with belief. That’s coming. You can already hear it building.

Please don’t put stocker in the same conversation as Walsh. We haven’t seen him do s**t yet. He’s a second year player and should be getting a game until year 4 or 5 if we’ve built this team correctly. Williamson, Newman and SPS are ahead in the backline. Dow O’Brien fisher are ahead in the midfield and he’s no chance displacing Cuningham Martin in the forward line. I’m getting sick and tired of hearing his name. Let him develop.
Dow is only three months older then him and LOB four. All these guys need to develop but there is no reason Stocker can’t go past these guys as it’s not like they have developed quickly themselves.
I wouldn’t be rushing to get games into him unless he has earned it but considering he is extremely top age and a man child you would hope for him to come one abit earlier then others.

Dow is only three months older then him and LOB four. All these guys need to develop but there is no reason Stocker can’t go past these guys as it’s not like they have developed quickly themselves.
I wouldn’t be rushing to get games into him unless he has earned it but considering he is extremely top age and a man child you would hope for him to come one abit earlier then others.
They’ve also got 20+ games under their belts. I’m backing them in before stocker. Who has shown to be a poor endurance athlete so far. If Dow is running better than him it’s a worry. But he won’t get near O’Brien gibbons or setters. Im not saying he’s close. I’m saying he’s 5th in line. If Dow Fisher O’Brien and setters keep improving he will need to wait for injury to get a spot (on the bench).

edit:Then take into account philp Ramsay and Kemp. He’s stuck in a touchy spot.

my order for our midfield youth

Walsh
Fisher
SPS
Setterfield
Dow
Obrien
Philp
Ramsay
Stocker

They’ve also got 20+ games under their belts. I’m backing them in before stocker. Who has shown to be a poor endurance athlete so far. If Dow is running better than him it’s a worry. But he won’t get near O’Brien gibbons or setters. Im not saying he’s close. I’m saying he’s 5th in line. If Dow Fisher O’Brien and setters keep improving he will need to wait for injury to get a spot (on the bench).

Walsh
Fisher
SPS
Setterfield
Dow
Obrien
Philp
Ramsay
Stocker
you should move dow above setters. the spotlight is now on setters. he was a high draft pick and he is over his injury. im anticipating a decent amount of progress this year.

Walsh
Fisher
SPS
Setterfield
Dow
Obrien
Philp
Ramsay
Stocker

You say Stocker hasn't shown anything yet ( I thought he held his own in the few games he got before being injured) and then you rate Philp and Ramsay above him.....strange

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What’s the chances of Williamson being named in this one?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Outside of 50/50, I feel, as the back 6/7 is largely in place and with Newman seemingly preferred in that group and then the wings will be out of reach as for him as they are currently for O'Brien, thanks to Newnes being involved.

Still, Williamson should be in the mix somewhere. You never know, but as was the case for round 1; Experience may get precedence for now.

Don't get me excited, SS. Look... with any luck - the talk of Ollie is legit and our new List Manager has the ability to get them both in.

Team set. Next stop: Top 4.
Interested in why you see a need to recruit the likes of Ollie when we have recruited the likes of settersfield and Kennedy for the grunt work. Don’t you think we are a slow paced side? It’s not as if his kicking is above average or that he will come cheap. Got a feeling he could be a Brock Mark 2

Dirk

Interested in why you see a need to recruit the likes of Ollie when we have recruited the likes of settersfield and Kennedy for the grunt work. Don’t you think we are a slow paced side? It’s not as if his kicking is above average or that he will come cheap. Got a feeling he could be a Brock Mark 2

Dirk
I love Kennedy but he's not looking like ever being that big-bodied inside mid we need to support Cripps. Setters, too - is a beautifully balanced midfielder but I don't think he's ready to take that role. Plus, I see Ollie as a quality player - in the right environment he could be an A grader and was tracking that way in his first 3 or 4 years. If we can afford him and have the currency to make it happen, I think we absolutely should try and get him.

Now, Papley is a higher priority and fits our side on needs better - no doubt. But if we approach Ollie and he wants to come, I think we'd be idiots to not try and make that happen should we believe Paps + OW are both gettable.

Dirk

We’re not passing on Wines because we have Kennedy and Setterfield. His kicking is fine for an inside mid.

Kennedy may not be on the list in 2021 particularly if we see them reduced to 35. I like him forward pinch-hitting in the mid but he hasn’t come on as hoped in the midfield - not all his own fault.

Setterfield is a completely different footballer. He’s a big body but isn’t an inside bull like Wines.

We’re not passing on Wines because we have Kennedy and Setterfield. His kicking is fine for an inside mid.

Kennedy may not be on the list in 2021 particularly if we see them reduced to 35. I like him forward pinch-hitting in the mid but he hasn’t come on as hoped in the midfield - not all his own fault.

Setterfield is a completely different footballer. He’s a big body but isn’t an inside bull like Wines.
I don’t understand why setters cannot play the inside midfield role. If he doesn’t want to play there I can understand but if he does he should be able to learn and adapt to that role. he would also need to gain a bit more weight imo to excel in this role.

So you think we need an inside bull.
This in my opinion is a popular misconception amongst supporters. Dont think we struggle in the clearances. In fact against Richmond without the services of Kreuzer we beat them in the clearances,disposals, inside fifties and marks.

Most tellingly their disposal efficiency stood at 80.1% outs 68.9%. This is reflected in the goal assists in their favour 12 goals to 5. A 7 goal advantage.
They were more effective in rebounding out of defence 42 to 29 which may have something to do with our lack of leg speed. They recorded 5 bounces to our none. We were relatively even in tackling inside our respective forward 50 yet around the ground we were smashed 52 tackles to 23. Lack of leg speed or inability to run back may be holding us back.

Dirk

I don’t understand why setters cannot play the inside midfield role. If he doesn’t want to play there I can understand but if he does he should be able to learn and adapt to that role. he would also need to gain a bit more weight imo to excel in this role.
His legs looked weak last year coming back from the ACL. Hopefully he has built them up over Summer and can progress to more time inside later in the year. You might expect the club would have wanted to protect him on his return to footy.

Setterfield can play inside, but I don't consider him an inside mid. He's certainly not a bull like Wines.

He's a hybrid balanced midfielder who can spend time inside, on a wing and also forward. The comparison with Mundy has been made time and time again, and it is an apt one.

So you think we need an inside bull.

I didn't say that. I said we're not passing on Wines because we've got Setterfield and Kennedy to play that role.

His legs looked weak last year coming back from the ACL. Hopefully he has built them up over Summer and can progress to more time inside later in the year. You might expect the club would have wanted to protect him on his return to footy.
Yeah I think your right on Setters it usually takes at least 12 months of playing before they start to be fully up to speed from a knee reco so I hope Setters starts to step up more, I understand the frustration given he looked to be having a really good pre season and was training a lot more inside however once the practice matches and Rd1 came around he really flopped and looked to go backwards, let’s hope it was a blip rather than what we can expect this year as we need him Dow, Fish and Obi4 to make an impact.

I noticed in Russels last injury update he described Fish’s ankle injury as syndesmosis which is a concern as we saw when Murph had it a while ago it took a fair while to fully recover, let’s hope it is only minor but I can’t see him being ready for Rd2 unfortunately given that diagnosis.

Yeah I think your right on Setters it usually takes at least 12 months of playing before they start to be fully up to speed from a knee reco so I hope Setters starts to step up more, I understand the frustration given he looked to be having a really good pre season and was training a lot more inside however once the practice matches and Rd1 came around he really flopped and looked to go backwards, let’s hope it was a blip rather than what we can expect this year as we need him Dow, Fish and Obi4 to make an impact.

I noticed in Russels last injury update he described Fish’s ankle injury as syndesmosis which is a concern as we saw when Murph had it a while ago it took a fair while to fully recover, let’s hope it is only minor but I can’t see him being ready for Rd2 unfortunately given that diagnosis.
Just rewatched Setters match highlights against Adelaide R19, when up and about he can really play. Has the great ability of getting a really hard handball or kick to a team mate whilst getting tackled when most would just hold the ball and be tackled. One player I have no concerns with. Round 1, brain fade.
Marchbank worries me most, looked great a few years ago, just can’t get him on the park now. Really want his elite intercept marking skills back out there, was it 2017 or 18 he was flying (imo)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back