G: Silvagni, Setterfield, Casboult 3, Kennedy 2, O’Brien, Fisher, Dow 1
B: Silvagni, Walsh, Murphy, E Curnow, Newman, Setterfield

Match Report
https://www.afl.com.au/news/91581/match-report-carlton-v-melbourne

Head to Head
Carlton 118
Melbourne 95

Football….FOOTY……it’s back!

If this game were being played at the MCG I would be leaning towards the Demons having the upper hand…but being at Marvel, I believe this brings it back to a more even opportunity for both teams. Unfortunately the home crowd factor is irrelevant, the might baggers will be there in spirit though no doubt.

Since we last played Daisy has departed and we won’t have Kreuzer I believe (correct me if I’m wrong). Hoping that Martin, McKay, Betts, Cuningham, Newnes bring in the right mix to move the ball forward - and quick! Plus our captains Cripps and Docherty will be back in…and I think we all know what a difference these two can make. At the expense of only really Lang and Thomas (obviously) and Kreuzer (possibly)…an interesting conundrum for our selectors. I find it difficult to pick a best 22 bit as I think Dow, O’Brien, Gibbons, Fisher, Cuningham and Newnes (maybe throw in Stocker) are fighting for the same 3-4 spots and I’m delighted to see this depth growing. If Kreuzer is out than Pittonet in…and I think he can go toe to toe alright with Gawn ruck wise…Casboult and McKay will need to step up in support around the ground.
My intel on Melbourne is crap…I don’t care much for them. So its difficult for me to suggest anything in regards to their players. We were scorched by McDonald and Hunt last outing, if we can tame them and don’t allow anyone else off the leash (looking at Petracca in particular) than we can do this.
They’ve added Tomlinson and Langdon and I’m not overly concerned although I do think they will be handy for them.
If we come out clean (skills wise) we win. Too many times we were in games last year but our skill level killed us…bit of a no brainer, efficiency will bring results.
I just had a look at last years ladder…how did they end up below us!?
I’m even more confident now.
Melbourne’s avg losing margin in 2019 - 28 points.
SPS, Martin, Cripps, Walsh, McKay and Eddie to run a muck!
Weitering, Docherty, Jones, Plowman and Newman to form a brick wall.

Blues by 15 points.

You know your club is s**t and your fan base is small if someone posts on your main page for Carlton v Melbourne and no one replies. Currently moving past 30 minutes without anyone posting. I was the most recent post since 9:30 yesterday.

Can anyone stop this - 204 cm and 100 kg. Nothing is as big and strong as this lad now. Big year coming up. We forget how talented he. Averaging 4+ contested marks a game before injury. Next next 2.5. View attachment 886847
bloke's a key position forward footballer............pretty sure.........

Could not agree more.
Such great analysis here.

I don’t claim to know exactly what the line coaches do (and I gather there is a fair amount of anti-Barker sentiment on this forum), but your statement that there doesn’t seem to be much in the way of method other than hack it forward is so accurate.

I’ve written on this forum that it is probably my biggest aggravation when watching us play. Others on here have correctly mentioned that the long bomb forward works for some teams - namely the ones with a high pressure forward line who hunt the crumbed ball and really bottle up the defenders. Lately that is clearly not the case with us, so the kick and hope strategy is not in our best interest.

I’d love to see the few quick fire handballs from stoppage to free up the best kicks in our side for either a spot up kick, or a link up handball to a running HB or wingman.

If Barker is not equipped to a) come up with such a strategy or b) implement and instruct this method, then why the hell is he still our stoppage coach?!?
Will be fascinating to see which - if any - changes have been made to this approach when we get back into it.
Totally agree ; if we had method at stoppages our half forward would play in front for Ed's hack across the body that alway falls short where it's marked by an opposition And then comes back with Some extra special sauce ..

Dow and Cuningham?

Very different footballers, who for mine only share two main traits:

- The ability to explode from a contest; and
- They both go missing for large periods

The former is hugely valuable and I expect it to become even more so as they gain further experience and confidence to be able to use it throughout games.

The latter is somewhat of a concern. I think it's a fitness/experience thing with Dow, but Cuningham has always been a low possession/high impact fotoballer, and I think he always will be.
Nailed it

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can anyone stop this - 204 cm and 100 kg. Nothing is as big and strong as this lad now. Big year coming up. We forget how talented he is. Averaging 4+ contested marks a game before injury. Next best 2.5. View attachment 886847
I’m liking that all the players and coaches have been raving about him since he returned from the forced break. Sounds like he’s put in the work and he’s ready to take the next step. Hopefully he stays fit and starts converting his opportunities in front of goal. If he does, watch out

Nerves starting to creep in already. This is a must-win game for both sides. It's a shame there won't be crowds, would've given us a huge advantage.

Fingers crossed Fisher is fit.
Agreed. This certainly is a must-win. We can’t be 0-2 heading down to Geelong. 0-2 will likely very quickly become 0-3 and then that starts the slide into another mediocre season. We can’t afford that.

Beat Melbourne and we’re a very good chance of a 3-2 record or at least 2-3 record with Essendon and St Kilda (both at the G) after the trip to Geelong in round 3. We haven’t had a start like that in years. In fact, we haven’t won either of our first two games in a season since 2012. This is a great opportunity for us to get off to a good start and generate some more excitement and interest. Build the platform for a genuine finals tilt in 2021.

Melbourne should also be hungry to atone for last year so it will be a good game. Marvel helps us a bit. The first 15 minutes is key for mine, we’ll find out whether we are on and have learned from all our recent poor starts. I’ll back us to run over the top of them if it’s close heading into the 4th quarter, like we’ve done a lot recently. I’m confident if we play well we should win, it’s a matter of whether we can avoid the mental lapses and put our periods of dominance on the scoreboard.

Agreed. This certainly is a must-win. We can’t be 0-2 heading down to Geelong. 0-2 will likely very quickly become 0-3 and then that starts the slide into another mediocre season. We can’t afford that.

Beat Melbourne and we’re a very good chance of a 3-2 record or at least 2-3 record with Essendon and St Kilda (both at the G) after the trip to Geelong in round 3. We haven’t had a start like that in years. In fact, we haven’t won either of our first two games in a season since 2012. This is a great opportunity for us to get off to a good start and generate some more excitement and interest. Build the platform for a genuine finals tilt in 2021.

Melbourne should also be hungry to atone for last year so it will be a good game. Marvel helps us a bit. The first 15 minutes is key for mine, we’ll find out whether we are on and have learned from all our recent poor starts. I’ll back us to run over the top of them if it’s close heading into the 4th quarter, like we’ve done a lot recently. I’m confident if we play well we should win, it’s a matter of whether we can avoid the mental lapses and put our periods of dominance on the scoreboard.

DOMINANCE ON THE SCOREBOARD!!

so key.

I’ve been going back and watching quarters from the last two years and there’s been times when we’re killing the clearances and contested ball but just couldn’t flaming score. There was times we were playing badly but still in the game, and lost cause we couldn’t convert opportunities.

Our forward half game is strong under Teague so I’m glad for rd2 that Harry and Betts are back to make us more damaging. Losing CAS to ruck rd1 didn’t help either. That forward group is looking ace compared to years gone by.

All this talk is making me too excited. 1 week to go.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dow and Cuningham?

Very different footballers, who for mine only share two main traits:

- The ability to explode from a contest; and
- They both go missing for large periods

The former is hugely valuable and I expect it to become even more so as they gain further experience and confidence to be able to use it throughout games.

The latter is somewhat of a concern. I think it's a fitness/experience thing with Dow, but Cuningham has always been a low possession/high impact fotoballer, and I think he always will be.

I think both will make it but they need to use this year to progress their games and for David, stay fit and gets some continuity.

Dow has some genuine tools that few in the league possess. His agility, hands and speed in a contest are genuinely top class and exactly what we need in the middle but unfortunately he needs time to build his body and develop his endurance as well as composure/confidence when kicking. I don't like him in the forward line as it doesn't allow him to utilise his strengths and his kicking for goal is terrible at the moment but the coaches clearly want to keep pumping games into him so he needs to find a way to contribute and needs to convert his chances.

Cuningham I just want to see him put together a season of 15+ games, get some continuity and build confidence. I can see him being our Degoey - not as strong or dominant in the air but a powerful, burst player in the forward line that rotates through the middle. He doesn't need to be a high possession winner, average 15-20 touches, 1-2 goals, provide plenty of pressure and 4 tackles a games. Along with Martin and Betts we have a dangerous set of smalls to compliment the quality talls. Add Papley next year and our forward line is set for the next 6-8 years.

Its a big year for both these guys - stay on the park and improve on their weaknesses and they go a long way to cementing a spot. Struggle with form or injuries and they may see themselves shuffled down the order as others get an opportunity and take it with both hands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CARLTON vs MELBOURNE

Sat June 13, 4:35pm
Marvel Stadium

Last time we met at the MCG - Rd 16, Jul 6
Melbourne - 15.15.105
G: McDonald 6, Petracca, Hunt 3, Weideman, Neal-Bullen, Harmes 1
B: McDonald, Oliver, Hunt, Harmes, Fritsch, Jones, Petracca
Carlton - 15.10.100
G: Silvagni, Setterfield, Casboult 3, Kennedy 2, O’Brien, Fisher, Dow 1
B: Silvagni, Walsh, Murphy, E Curnow, Newman, Setterfield

Match Report
https://www.afl.com.au/news/91581/match-report-carlton-v-melbourne

Head to Head
Carlton 118
Melbourne 95

Football….FOOTY……it’s back!

If this game were being played at the MCG I would be leaning towards the Demons having the upper hand…but being at Marvel, I believe this brings it back to a more even opportunity for both teams. Unfortunately the home crowd factor is irrelevant, the might baggers will be there in spirit though no doubt.

Since we last played Daisy has departed and we won’t have Kreuzer I believe (correct me if I’m wrong). Hoping that Martin, McKay, Betts, Cuningham, Newnes bring in the right mix to move the ball forward - and quick! Plus our captains Cripps and Docherty will be back in…and I think we all know what a difference these two can make. At the expense of only really Lang and Thomas (obviously) and Kreuzer (possibly)…an interesting conundrum for our selectors. I find it difficult to pick a best 22 bit as I think Dow, O’Brien, Gibbons, Fisher, Cuningham and Newnes (maybe throw in Stocker) are fighting for the same 3-4 spots and I’m delighted to see this depth growing. If Kreuzer is out than Pittonet in…and I think he can go toe to toe alright with Gawn ruck wise…Casboult and McKay will need to step up in support around the ground.
My intel on Melbourne is crap…I don’t care much for them. So its difficult for me to suggest anything in regards to their players. We were scorched by McDonald and Hunt last outing, if we can tame them and don’t allow anyone else off the leash (looking at Petracca in particular) than we can do this.
They’ve added Tomlinson and Langdon and I’m not overly concerned although I do think they will be handy for them.
If we come out clean (skills wise) we win. Too many times we were in games last year but our skill level killed us…bit of a no brainer, efficiency will bring results.
I just had a look at last years ladder…how did they end up below us!?
I’m even more confident now.
Melbourne’s avg losing margin in 2019 - 28 points.
SPS, Martin, Cripps, Walsh, McKay and Eddie to run a muck!
Weitering, Docherty, Jones, Plowman and Newman to form a brick wall.

Blues by 15 points.
Interesting
Yes on paper not much in it
I like the observations
CFC needs to go to a much higher Level long term....obviously we know how difficult. Than can be....time wise
Yes shut down key forwards
Dees were breaking down zoning from HB to HF .... I believe midfield issues
They are physical ... And try to dominate when happy
I think CFC will be flat out with the reduced time....we should outspread them...
As I said still a long road for CFC
IF Walsh.Crips.Ed.Myrphy..can hold down mids...we can work on them
If Walsh steps up wow......better than Scully already ?

Last edited:
how did we ever survive this.............

img_25630605_004927-jpg.886934

Dees by 17 points. They will dominate us in the midfield. Bigger, Stronger, Better
Gawn
Oliver
Viney
Brayshaw
Petracca
Harmes

Not intimidated by that group of players. I think we've got the match ups to compete with them.

Casboult on Gawn: Allow Casboult to get physical and play a bruising style of football.
JSOS on Oliver: JSOS to tag Oliver from the first bounce.
Ed on Viney: Try and get a neutral match up here.
Cripps on Brayshaw: Let Cripps do what Cripps does.
Plowman on Petracca: I expect Petracca will spend most of his time foward.
Murphy on Harmes: Murphy to do what he does and continue his strong form from the end of last year.

Think Tom McDonald may have kicked a big bag against us last time we played. Hopefully Weitering can neutralise him, which will go a long way to winning the match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back