Analysis Random NORTH thoughts not worthy of a thread

Remove this Banner Ad

C: W.Schwass, A.Simpson, L.Dwyer
HF: J.Spencer, B.Crosswell
F: B.Allison, J.Longmire, J.Dugdale
Foll: C.McKernan, M.Larkin, J.Krakouer
Int: S.Alves,
Coach: D.Pagan

A few names there would have to be a show, although Jimmy will have to overcome contemporary wowserism.

A few names there would have to be a show, although Jimmy will have to overcome contemporary wowserism.

Laurie Dwyer ran in the Top 3 of the Brownlow on three occasions in the 60s. He won 2 club B&Fs, was a regular State Rep and served his club well after his retirement.
Stan Alves is a premiership player who also captained Melbourne for 4 years. He is a member of the Melbourne Team of the Century, won 2 B&Fs and coached St.Kilda to a Grand Final
Brent Crosswell is an Icon of the Tasmanian Hall of Fame. He played in 4 VFL premierships from 9 Grand Finals - nominated as BoG in 1970 and 1975. A member of the North Melbourne Team of the Century
Jim Krakouer is a member of the Indigenous Team of the Century who won a club B&F, played for his state at 20yo and is an iconic player of his era.
Wayne Schwass is a premiership player, who won 2 B&Fs in team who boasted the best player in the game. He won a 3rd B&F at his second club, posted nearly 300 games, finished Top 5 in the Brownlow twice and, whilst Krakouer and others have had their HoF selection knocked on the head due to their struggles in life after football, Schwass revered for his work away from footy post-retirement.
Corey McKernan is a two-time premiership player, being in the best players both times. He was selected in 1996 as the AFLPA MVP and won a B&F at Carlton. He was an ineligible Brownlow Medalist and ineligible Rising Star winner.

To say these blokes are due is an understatement. Instead this year we got a commentator, a SANFL player who started out in the VFL but couldn't get a game so ended up in a good team at that level but otherwise did jack-all, and another SANFL player who also played in a good team at that level but when he came to the big league was bog-average but at least his daughter can get a kick.

Last edited:

Isnt Pagan in the HOF yet?..

History is against Denis on this one. All Hall of Fame Coach inductees bar one, coached at least 3 senior premierships. The exception is Jack Sheedy who coached East Fremantle to two flags in the 50s. His Under 19s flags (5) and Reserves flag (1) will stand for naught.

Call me a cynic, but at a time when non-Victorian states are whinging about "Vic-bias" within the VFL, is it any coincidence that in this year's Hall of Fame only one Victorian got nominated (Brown), and only one player who played mainly for a Victorian club (Hayes)?

Attachments

• 1591277017916.png
    1591277017916.png
    178.7 KB · Views: 55
History is against Denis on this one. All Hall of Fame Coach inductees bar one, coached at least 3 senior premierships. The exception is Jack Sheedy who coached East Fremantle to two flags in the 50s. His Under 19s flags (5) and Reserves flag (1) will stand for naught.

Call me a cynic, but at a time when non-Victorian states are whinging about "Vic-bias" within the VFL, is it any coincidence that in this year's Hall of Fame only one Victorian got nominated (Brown), and only one player who played mainly for a Victorian club (Hayes)?

If he doesn’t get in it will be friggin criminal!..

its on its way:
giphy.gif

Isnt Pagan in the HOF yet?..
Pagan is 19th on the most games coached at VFL/AFL level, and of those ahead of him on that list, the only coaches who are not in the Hall of Fame are Rodney Eade, John Worsfold and Alistair Clarkson - none of who are eligible yet.

It's time.

Sort of North related
listening to Sirius XM right now and this is on:

after landing in LA back in 2006 when North Played there as part of G'Day LA, as me and my father were walking in LAX to catch the bus to the car rental lot there at LAX, i heard this song.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone here have living memory of the time North almost took over Fitzroy? Watching the doco in Fox Sports right now, scary how close it actually came to going though. Apparently it was well received amongst fans? Cannot imagine that

Does anyone here have living memory of the time North almost took over Fitzroy? Watching the doco in Fox Sports right now, scary how close it actually came to going though. Apparently it was well received amongst fans? Cannot imagine that
how would have that gone anyway.

I didn't support it and as I remember the fans were mostly non committal about the thing because they knew it was basically a take over.

I wouldn't say that it was "well received".

It certainly made for interesting times at our place back then, my mum and I being North and my dad and bro’s being Roy boys.

It certainly made for interesting times at our place back then, my mum and I being North and my dad and bro’s being Roy boys.

Some of those early 80's results would have had the household jumping.

Over 20 years ago now but I'll give it a crack.
I think most North supporters are realists, and this "merger" was probably the best option for us at the time. In fact I, personally, still feel this would have been a good result for us and Fitzroy. I remember there was a "meet a Fitzroy supporter outside the G and take them inside with your spare membership day", which I participated in.
I think the majority of other clubs had agreed to it also, but it was Leon Daphne from Richmond that was mainly opposed to it. Pretty sure * were too, surprise surprise ....worried it would create a super team. Look what then happened anyway, with the Lions then 3-peating.
It's one of the things, and there are many, that pisses me off about Richmond and their "We are a big club and you are not!" bullsh!t...
We've always been prepared to try new things to help us grow as a club, but those fkw!ts only care about themselves.

What's that great old saying "Always back self interest, because at least you know it's trying!"

Oh yeah, and we won the 96 and 99 Flags, so fk em!!!

As I said though, 20+ years ago, but I don't remember being as vehemently against it as I was the GC rubbish.

Last edited:
I think most North supporters are realists, and this "merger" was probably the best option for us at the time. In fact I, personally, still feel this would have been a good result for us and Fitzroy. I remember there was a "meet a Fitzroy supporter outside the G and take them inside with your spare membership day", which I participated in.
I think the majority of other clubs had agreed to it also, but it was Leon Daphne from Richmond that was mainly opposed to it. Pretty sure * were too, surprise surprise ....worried it would create a super team. Look what then happened anyway, with the Lions then 3-peating.
It's one of the things, and there are many, that pisses me off about Richmond and their "We are a big club and you are not!" bullsh!t...
We've always been prepared to try new things to help us grow as a club, but those fkw!ts only care about themselves.

What's that great old saying "Always back self interest, because at least you know it's trying!"

Oh yeah, and we won the 99 Flag, so fk em!!!

As I said though, 20+ years ago, but I don't remember being as vehemently against it as I was the GC rubbish.

Thanks for that insight, very interesting.

The doco is on youtube if anyone’s interested - I thought it was great and finished it feeling very heartbroken for Fitzroy despite not being old enough to have conscious memories of them as a team.

Oh yeah, and we won the 99 Flag, so fk em!!!

Good summary. Strangely enough this was accepted by many members as a positive thing as the clubs led the proposal rather than being forced by the AFL. It seemed almost a done deal before this 'super team' thing emerged and some clubs got cold feet. I recall it was more North taking over Fitzroy in principle. But generally there was an acceptance to a degree from both clubs. The 'power clubs' s**t themselves and vetoed the deal.

I have a very good recollection of this and it was certainly not a take-over by us - we were the stronger club at the time but it wasn't going to be a one way street.

The initial name of the team was to be Fitzroy and that got my goat up a lot which saw me write a letter to Greg Miller (our CEO) and say ...not going to happen...

North had to advise Fitzroy at that last minute that North supporters would not put up with Fitzroy being the name of the club so it changed to North Fitzroy Kangaroos.

I recall we asked for a much larger list size than was standard for clubs back then (in order to merge the 2 lists) and that was the key concern of other clubs - North was already a good side and we would be adding some pretty good depth from the Fitzroy side.

Almost overnight it went from ..its happening ...to no...the AFL says Fitroy must merge with the Bears and that was all she wrote.

Dyson Hore Lacy - the Fitzroy President of the time - put out a book called Fitzroy - and he goes into quite a lot of detail about the merger. Was a good read.

I have a very good recollection of this and it was certainly not a take-over by us - we were the stronger club at the time but it wasn't going to be a one way street.

The initial name of the team was to be Fitzroy and that got my goat up a lot which saw me write a letter to Greg Miller (our CEO) and say ...not going to happen...

North had to advise Fitzroy at that last minute that North supporters would not put up with Fitzroy being the name of the club so it changed to North Fitzroy Kangaroos.

I recall we asked for a much larger list size than was standard for clubs back then (in order to merge the 2 lists) and that was the key concern of other clubs - North was already a good side and we would be adding some pretty good depth from the Fitzroy side.

Almost overnight it went from ..its happening ...to no...the AFL says Fitroy must merge with the Bears and that was all she wrote.

Dyson Hore Lacy - the Fitzroy President of the time - put out a book called Fitzroy - and he goes into quite a lot of detail about the merger. Was a good read.

Love that you wrote a letter! Great stuff. Very dramatic time wasn’t it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back