Autopsy Fremantle lose to Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry, that is a massive copout !!

It's been happening to us for ages.

West Coast get a rainbow ride at home, Vic media picks up on it and complains about home ground bias. Umps pick up on it and go the other way next week at Subi....which of course is a Freo home game. Media forgets about it and umpires go back to normal the following week.

I can't stress this stat enough - they have had a positive FK differential for each of the last 17 years straight. The odds of that are 131,000 to 1. Last year was the first in ages where we had a positive FK differential, and even then it was only by about 6 for the whole year.

Freo are the victims of the "Subiaco/Optus Stadium noise of affirmation" myth.

As per usual Duffield is on the money. We lost 3 quarters after quarter time and overused the ball. A lack of class from our bottom 6 players too.

This is not soul crushing, there are all areas that can be fixed by players and coach alike.

This year was not our GF year, we are going to be much better off for the lessons learned - the priority will be getting our injured players right and fit.

Hogan, McCarthy, Henry, North and Valente must ALL play this season if we're looking to build towards the future. Kills me to say this but it's time for Mundy and Hill to move out. We are going to be looking at a flag 2023+ and they're just not part of that contention.

Agree with all of this except the Hill bit since he is contracted and we'd have to pay him out so it doesn't help much. I really don't think Mundy staying helps the club, much as I love Mundy.

I'll be honest in saying I think we've gotten a pretty good run of the green since we've been home (which is a good thing, I'd love to keep it) and Margetts hasn't been terrible, the stuff with him seems to just be a meme now at this point.

here's the key bit of it

The AFL has backed in the decision to pay Sam Docherty’s free kick down the ground in the drama-filled heist which dragged Carlton back into finals contention.

But the league admits it should have been Michael Gibbons with the ball in his hands instead of Jack Newnes.

The league will wait until Monday’s umpires review to assess whether Docherty deserved that free kick after being hit late by Fremantle’s Andy Brayshaw.
So the "play on" call by umpire when running out of bounds along the boundary, was OK?

1597558980565.png

Runs at least 5 meters out of bounds after being called play on, and before clock restarts!

1597559121003.png

Clock starts once he enters play and he runs for 2 more seconds before kicking.
1597559470066.png

It's been happening to us for ages.

West Coast get a rainbow ride at home, Vic media picks up on it and complains about home ground bias. Umps pick up on it and go the other way next week at Subi....which of course is a Freo home game. Media forgets about it and umpires go back to normal the following week.

I can't stress this stat enough - they have had a positive FK differential for each of the last 17 years straight. The odds of that are 131,000 to 1. Last year was the first in ages where we had a positive FK differential, and even then it was only by about 6 for the whole year.

Freo are the victims of the "Subiaco/Optus Stadium noise of affirmation" myth.

Please go back and look at the post by a fellow Carlton supporter that I was quoting & replying to.

Some good points, I generally agree with this. The slicker, slippery conditions once again out-foxed our emphasis on skills and using the ball meaningfully and finding space. We seemed okay in the first quarter and skills were certainly high. We hit the scoreboard and looked comfortable-ish. But comfortable doesn't get the job done when there's 3 quarters left, and I think our emphasis to shut down and defend was triggered way too early. But having said that, it was hard to get clean football and break; both sides struggled when the ball was pinging around. Fyfe was in Juggernaut mode in Quarter 1 and looked like he was gonna have one of those nights, just looked a bit frustrated and slightly off there after, one instance where he visibly (on the TV) yelled "f***" after not getting a holding of the ball on whoever the Carlton player was on the boundary near our goal.

Our biggest concern for me is conversion, we're just not hitting the scoreboard regularly enough, particularly when we have ascension or momentum occurring. Not sure if last night was the night to play Henry, but it feels like J-Lo is holding him back and my biggest concern is the conservative nature of selection. He mentioned he wants to build his body - make it more "AFL compatible" - well, what about Duman. He's skinny as! I think if you're talented enough, you're good enough - Frederick has come in off this basis, but has shown he's not quite at the level....just yet.

I feel like Bewley and Schultz are undroppable and neither has done enough to impress me to warrant that. I don't dislike either, or feel they don't work hard enough - but they drift in and out of games, Bewley reminds me a bit of Kersten - decent skills and ability; not very hard-nosed at the contest. That being said - who do you replace them with?! Stocks are running a bit thin with injuries that have mounted up and players like Conca and Hill are having to play back because it's mostly inexperience down there. Ryan has been enormous, All Australian form for sure - but if he goes down, it starts to drop off at an alarming rate. Cox has been solid down there the last 2 games, he's definitely proved he can adapt to playing down back - but he's still inconsistent and might do something that's a potential liability. Still, the defence and the defensive structure is clearly a J-Lo forte and the guys down back are holding up.

I would like to see Hill on a wing or as I said elsewhere trial a Carter, someone with genuine rapid speed, but it seems Carter is way down the pecking order. This could be due to attitude or professionalism, or just Longmuir not seeing him as best 22 currently and structurally. Which is fair enough.

I thought the risk last night was not maybe resting a few, or at least assessing that. We went out there to win, that's great. I don't mind that. But we looked exhausted during the 3rd quarter, blokes out on their feet. A 5 day turn around with young inexperienced players, playing in slippery wet conditions?! Had alarm bells all over it. Still, I applaud the consistency in getting Brayshaw, Cerra and now Serong more game time to get a consistent midfield synergy developing.

In the end, it was probably a bit "he who dares wins". We fought hard, and then the mad-scramble to hold on...the killer blow thanks to some very inept umpiring....and we're all left scratching heads and wondering what could have been. I think we did well to restrict them, but our lack of firepower and putting teams away when we get inside 50 entries is hurting us the most

Agree very much on the conversion. We're not getting reward for forward 50 dominance and that was evident in the Hawks game as well. I think there's a few issues that contribute to it. The slow ball-movement style is, for the most part, minimising our turnovers in bad spots (i.e. that second/third kick out of our back half) but it's giving so much time for opposition defences to get back and clog our 50. There have been very few times over the last few weeks that we've actually hit a genuine lead at the ball carrier inside 50 that hasn't been an accidental one. The times we have have been when we have moved it faster between the arcs. Need that to happen more often, and I think we need Hogan cruising around that CHF line to help it. I wouldn't be surprised if corridor use is deliberately down compared to last year but that's just an impression I don't actually know.

The above is my main issue with the way we're playing this year. It is so very reminiscent of Collingwood who just cannot score with any regularity to save themselves and it is costing them severely. We have better pieces up forward than they do, we need to get it working. Otherwise it's just the same forward entries crap we've gone through the last 4 years with Ross, but the method of getting to that point is different. 50% the way we're getting it in there and 50% who it's going to and who's around them.

I agree on Bewley but not on Schultz. I think Schultz can work as that 'every team has to have a crab pressure forward' guy even if I resent the fact that it is a necessity in AFL football these days. Bewley you are correct is undroppable and that is a list issue.

That would be true if the game was governed by Wikipedia....The AFL rules state the location was correct....the.player wasnt

What's the rule on a player carrying the ball outside the boundary line after play on is called by the umpire when he has passed the mark?

Shouldn't have gotten than far. It should be a throw in on the wing.

As per usual Duffield is on the money. We lost 3 quarters after quarter time and overused the ball. A lack of class from our bottom 6 players too.

This is not soul crushing, there are all areas that can be fixed by players and coach alike.

This year was not our GF year, we are going to be much better off for the lessons learned - the priority will be getting our injured players right and fit.

Hogan, McCarthy, Henry, North and Valente must ALL play this season if we're looking to build towards the future. Kills me to say this but it's time for Mundy and Hill to move out. We are going to be looking at a flag 2023+ and they're just not part of that contention.
Totally agree on most points bar mundy. Hard to see a spot for hill if young is fit. Just wish we had got games into sturt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's the rule on a player carrying the ball outside the boundary line after play on is called by the umpire when he has passed the mark?

Shouldn't have gotten than far. It should be a throw in on the wing.
Not least of all the free itself was absolutely farcical.

Just saw Jon Ralph on the half time break discussing all the aspects of the last sequence ... and completely missed the run outside the boundary. Infuriating that this is being overlooked by the media. It is the biggest howler out of all of the decisions made at the end.

So, it was the right call for the kick to be taken where it ended up?

Not back where it was kicked? Not where it went oob?
1. Where the kick was taken was not where it went out of bounds. They gave Carlton at least 7-10 metres on that.
2. Gibbons should have had the kick, not Newnes.
3. The free kick downfield in the first instance was rubbish especially considering they weren't paying downfield all night.

Just saw Jon Ralph on the half time break discussing all the aspects of the last sequence ... and completely missed the run outside the boundary. Infuriating that this is being overlooked by the media. It is the biggest howler out of all of the decisions made at the end.
They're generally pretty lax in policing that rule though.

Totally agree on most points bar mundy. Hard to see a spot for hill if young is fit. Just wish we had got games into sturt.

Yep, as I was watching the game I was thinking where would we be without Mundy. When he retires it will be like McPharlin. Just a gun you can't replace.

Hill not so much, sad to say but he looks cooked.

The boundary umpire running backwards, being on the line and in the way complicates the expectation that the player (Doherty) ought to have played on by coming into the field of play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back