Preview Round 14: Hawthorne vs Essendon, Adelaide Oval, Thursday 27/08/2020 @ 4:40 AEST

Who shall have more points by full time?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll take that.

Don't like, put me on ignore champ :thumbsu:.
We overrated your rating. Haha. Not a bad idea thanks. It doesn't overly bother me you have to be right when I say something but the way you do it to half the forum gets tiresome. Blocking you would block me from the whole preview thread. It would be easier if you just accepted other people have opinions

Pies out in the cold as little-known Bomber backup sparks ‘demolition’ The Pies have won one game since the season restart (Pic: Michael Klein).

The Pies have won one game since the season restart (Pic: Michael Klein). Collingwood’s blistering start to the 2020 season has halted, just like their stilted play did on Friday night, according to a Brisbane great. The Magpies were held goalless for almost three full quarters - from late in the first term to early in the fourth - as Essendon ran amok and found it easy to stop them. Meanwhile star ruckman Brodie Grundy’s impact in the middle was muted, with little-known Bombers back-up Andrew Phillips and a centre bounce core without Zach Merrett doing the damage.

Doesn't matter how well his opponent played. Phillips was very good.

Well it kinda does

Grundy almost tripled his hit outs, had 20 disposals(his highest of the season) and a massive 10 clearances of his own, if we had a ruckman perform like that we’d give him a 17 year contract extension.

It’s like the full forward kicking 8 goals but saying the full back played well because he got a couple of spoils in and took 2 intercept marks.

Well it kinda does

Grundy almost tripled his hit outs, had 20 disposals(his highest of the season) and a massive 10 clearances of his own, if we had a ruckman perform like that we’d give him a 17 year contract extension.

It’s like the full forward kicking 8 goals but saying the full back played well because he got a couple of spoils in and took 2 intercept marks.
Phillips played his own good game though.

I'm loving this time slot! Working from home since March so will crack my 1st beer about 3.30pm and settle in for a few punts and enjoy the game.
Cant wait to see Joe play - his body should be fine now and we may look back and say we've managed him well if we finish off the year strong and have a big 2021. I dont really care how Joe plays - I just hope we see that enthusiasm and big smile and he can build some confidence for the rest of this year and have a big 2021 (in a Bombers jumper!)
I think Stringer/Langford may have to lend Phillips a hand in the ruck against the experienced combo of Ceglar & Big boy McEvoy. Hawks definitely have an advantage here and if we can break even or nullify the influence of Ceglar & Big boy we should have the Hawks covered as we have more class around the ground. Really liked Smith's game off half back last week - he may have found his new spot going forward.Once game settles hopefully they'll line up like;-

Hooker Hurley Saad
Gleeson Ridley Smith
Merrett McGrath Ham
Shiel Langford Mosquito
Stewart Daniher Tippa

Phillips Parish Snelling

Clarke Redman Guelfi Stringer

Comon Dons lets win this and finish off 2020 strong!

Last edited:
Phillips is a guy who has been on a list for 9 years now and has 45 games. There's a reason for that.

And there's a reason we're playing Bellchambers ahead of him, despite the fact he's cooked. There's a reason pretty much every Carlton supporter I know laughed when they pawned him off to us. And you know what that reason is? It's because he's no good.
Carlton supporters said to me they love him because he tries hard and has some moments but at heart he’s very average.

To my mind that’s better than what we would be saying if TBC left to go to Carlton right now.i personally would laugh my ass off.

I disagree.
I watched Dreamtime with a number of friends who had never watched footy. The first thing they noticed was this lumbering giant who ran up and down on the spot. “Who is THAT guy and how can he be playing? Can someone be that slow and play? He turns like a cruise ship.”

He’s so very poor now. So cooked that he’s glued to the pan and the pan will probably need to be chucked too. I’m very glad Phillips is in ahead of him. We can’t play TBC as a lone ruck anymore. At least with Phillips we will get a predictable and consistent effort that resembles football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Phillips was good against the Pies but very ordinary against North and Dogs. 11 games in last 3 years with the Blues, don’t think they rated him much. Just got to hope he brings that Pies game again until Draper comes back for next game.

Carlton supporters said to me they love him because he tries hard and has some moments but at heart he’s very average.

To my mind that’s better than what we would be saying if TBC left to go to Carlton right now.i personally would laugh my ass off.
Okay. I think Phillips is a guy that averages 5 games a year for a reason.
I watched Dreamtime with a number of friends who had never watched footy. The first thing they noticed was this lumbering giant who ran up and down on the spot. “Who is THAT guy and how can he be playing? Can someone be that slow and play? He turns like a cruise ship.”

He’s so very poor now. So cooked that he’s glued to the pan and the pan will probably need to be chucked too. I’m very glad Phillips is in ahead of him. We can’t play TBC as a lone ruck anymore. At least with Phillips we will get a predictable and consistent effort that resembles football.
Phillips is a spud but people forgive him because of perceived "effort".

If Bellchambers played to the standard Phillips did against the Dogs there would be riots on here.

Well it kinda does

Phillips pressure on Grundy also resulted in us smashing them in the clearences. Grundys stats always look great but when it came to W or L it really doesn't mean much.

If Bellchambers played to the standard Phillips did against the Dogs there would be riots on here.
Totally agreed that Phillips is a 5 games guy. Bellchambers next year (and realistically this year) should be a zero games guy.

Phillips was good against the Pies but very ordinary against North and Dogs. 11 games in last 3 years with the Blues, don’t think they rated him much. Just got to hope he brings that Pies game again until Draper comes back for next game.
Obviously saving Draper for West Coast

Phillips pressure on Grundy also resulted in us smashing them in the clearences. Grundys stats always look great but when it came to W or L it really doesn't mean much.

We win the Clearances quite regularly, that’s nothing new

So who is in the ruck if philllips needs a rest?

Better not be daniher
Langford
Hooker
Stewart

I do wish we went pittonet but oh well can't change the past

You're doing the opposite. You hold Phillips to a high standard and gloss over TBC's horrible output this year.
TBC's efforts against Richmond and Carlton were woeful. If Phillips played like that, you'd be rioting. You mention his effort against the dogs but fail to mention TBC's bad games.

TBC hasn't put together a game as good as Phillips has vs Collingwood so calling him a spud is harsh unless you hold TBC to the same standard.

Will he play well today? Probably not, but he's only here because Draper is unavailable. We're just saying that Phillips is a capable depth player. Nothing more and nothing less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back