Preview Geelong V Doggies Fri Aug 28 750 pm @ Metricon

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That goal from the square!

I was a bit 'iffy' on getting "Joe the Goose" Jenkins first up, but now I'm legitimately excited to see what he can bring to the table. It's not 'the only reason', but Jenkins' departure played its part in Adelaide being wooden spooners this year
In his first few years he was averaging just over 10 disposals, a goal and 5 hit outs per match. If Esava was doing that we would be losing our collective s**t.
In the last 5 years he has been averaging 12 to 13 disposals per match, over 2 goals per game, over 5 hit outs per game and about 2 tackles per game.
If he comes in this week, kicks 1 or 2, wins 5 or 6 hit outs and has 13 disposals thats immediately an upgrade on Esava.

In his first few years he was averaging just over 10 disposals, a goal and 5 hit outs per match. If Esava was doing that we would be losing our collective sh*t.
In the last 5 years he has been averaging 12 to 13 disposals per match, over 2 goals per game, over 5 hit outs per game and about 2 tackles per game.
If he comes in this week, kicks 1 or 2, wins 5 or 6 hit outs and has 13 disposals thats immediately an upgrade on Esava.

I've got no doubt he'll do just that - maybe not first game up, but certainly by game 3.

I think Esava has a future with the Cats, but I think Jenkins is the "now" option.

Very excited.

What ever happens we need to finish above the Eggs on the ladder to avoid 2 weeks of quarantine and a final in the West.Go Cats, Go Tigers.
Good point that. If we win and tigers lose will be 6 up on them and can afford to lose against them. But as you said still might play eagles in Perth so go tigers. Not liking the talk about the kangaroos selling their home game to Perth against eagles in round 18. Could be 10+ % booster. As long as we don’t lose big in the run in % should get us over eagles if it comes to that.

I've got no doubt he'll do just that - maybe not first game up, but certainly by game 3.

I think Esava has a future with the Cats, but I think Jenkins is the "now" option.

Very excited.
Jenkins seems to have thinned down quite a bit. That's encouraging. However, on the available evidence, he is no ruckman so I wouldn't expect him to have anymore influence in that respect than Esava.

That goal from the square!

I was a bit 'iffy' on getting "Joe the Goose" Jenkins first up, but now I'm legitimately excited to see what he can bring to the table. It's not 'the only reason', but Jenkins' departure played its part in Adelaide being wooden spooners this year

I always thought a "joe the goose" goal was one that was just handed to you on a plate like Tommy H gave Jordan Clark.

After watching Jenkins in action, if l were the opposition coach, l'd be screaming at the defense for letting that happen.

I mean he's just turned them inside out, exsposing their lack of awareness and especially pace, that's awesome from a 200cm guy.
"Love those Joe the gooses, guess who's the goose?

Jenkins seems to have thinned down quite a bit. That's encouraging. However, on the available evidence, he is no ruckman so I wouldn't expect him to have anymore influence in that respect than Esava.
That won't be his main job as you know as long as Stanley keeps going,anyway he's still to be selected pity the back has held him up for so long I'm sure they would have had a look by now had he been available.

I can’t even see the need to have him do any ruck work. With stanley in the middle, blitz rucking around the ground and down back, and tommy doing it up forward, he really isn’t needed to do it.

I can’t even see the need to have him do any ruck work. With stanley in the middle, blitz rucking around the ground and down back, and tommy doing it up forward, he really isn’t needed to do it.
Most sides yes,against Wet Toast I'd like to have the option of leaving Biicavs at full back.

Selwood to miss tomorrow night unfortunately

The talk on the news last night is that the club ideally wants to him rest until after our bye - so not really surprising

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Milburn was a beauty.
I've seen him have 20 possessions by half time in a game at Geelong in our era.
He could kick important goals.
He played tall and small in defence.
After Egan went down, Milburn played as CHB in 07 finals.
Started out as a mid.
Played all around the ground and could find the pill from day one. Felt sorry for him missing out in 2011.

If you look at the stats, Luke peaked 4-5 years ago. He dropped off at his last couple of years at the Dogs and has rarely shown his full potential in the Hoops.

He's obviously very happy here and is loved by his team-mates.

But for a guy given a 4-year deal, who at 28 should be in his prime (injuries aside), I'd expect a little more polish, far greater impact and as he's playing primarily as a defensive forward a tad more goals (4 goals and just 2 goal assists in 8 games so far this year). He can't kick past 40 yards. He can tackle and put on the pressure but younger guys trying to break through offer just about the same.

He'd want to show a bit more over the next few weeks, considering who we have waiting in the wings.
That was when he was playing full-time midfield for the dogs. It is two completely different roles. If you compare against his earlier seasons and last season at the Dogs where he was playing half forward, his stats last season were equal and better.

Granted his output has been down this year, but fair suck of the sav, he has only played eight games - so the game where he injured his foot, and the return game last week represent 25% of his stats. It's a pretty high bar to set for a bloke who has had a month out, and one psuedo scratch match on return.

The club needs to put kms into his legs, so they will play him while he is getting that match fitness back. Even if he is not in our best 22 we can't have him called up for a final if we have injuries or otherwise in the form you want him dropped for now.

I’d prefer an experienced Dahlhaus as a premiership player to player finals over Close or Fogarty at the minute
I think that big game experience will get him a gig at the pointy end this year.
Does a lot of unheralded stuff but I agree, as a forward his output has been disappointing.
We have two smalls who the opposition know can't kick over a jam tin.
Miers we know can find the sticks.
I suspect that beyond this season others will take Dals place.

That won't be his main job as you know as long as Stanley keeps going,anyway he's still to be selected pity the back has held him up for so long I'm sure they would have had a look by now had he been available.
Not suggesting rucking will be his main job. But if Esava is omitted he'll have to carry a decent share of the ruck duties and he's no ruckman.

Not suggesting rucking will be his main job. But if Esava is omitted he'll have to carry a decent share of the ruck duties and he's no ruckman.
Maybe not - Blicavs seemed to step into the ruck duties again last match, even with Ratugolea in the side. Ratugolea went into the ruck early in the match & then again late in the match, otherwise it was the Stanley/Blicavs combo that we reverted to

Final hitouts last week were - Stanley 25, Blicavs 7, Ratugolea 4

No reason it wouldn't be similar if Jenkins replaced Ratugolea in the team - Stanley/Blicavs in the ruck around the ground, especially through your midfield & defensive 50. Then maybe Jenkins & Hawkins in our forward 50

“Scott added:
- Jack Steven's improving fitness levels would likely allow him to back-up off a five-day break and tackle the Dogs.
- Harry Taylor's return to the side would likely be the only significant change to his side's structure on Friday night.
- Darcy Fort, Josh Jenkins and Quinton Narkle, who has recently overcome a heavy bout of food poisoning, would play in a scratch match on Saturday.
- Time was running out for Nakia Cockatoo to play AFL this season with just three matches remaining after Friday night. "It is getting to the point where this is an important bit of match practice for him on Saturday," Scott said.
- The probable introduction of a pre-finals bye would have a "neutral" impact on his team's quest for a premiership.“

From that, it looks like it will be Tuohy and Taylor for Close and Clarke.

Tuohy to continue on forward/wing and Blicavs to continue wing/ruck role.

Just a couple of names missing from the best 22 now. You might have heard of them - Ablett and Selwood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back