Autopsy Rd 16 Blues pull off comeback victory from 7 goals down

Who played well in Round 16 vs the Swans?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I mentioned this in Walsh’s recruitment thread, but it’s worth telling again.
I was talking to a young fella just after we picked up Walsh in the draft. This young fella had played footy against Walsh. He said they tagged him to the extent that, and I quote “he would’ve been hating his life”. He said if he had been tagged like that, he would’ve given footy away.
So...In torrential rain, on a heavy ground, tagged to within an inch of his life...

Young Sam got 40 and kicked 4.

The boy was Judd like tonight. Absolutely enormous!

Plenty others went well. Plowman had a massive night. But Weitering is just a magnificent footballer. Pound for pound, the best player in the league right now.

I can’t get excited about that win though. Sure, a win is a win, and you take it. Nice come back from seven goals down. But...

Seven goals down.

I dunno, I find a lot to be excited about from any win. It's good that we didn't go on to lose by 60-100 points as we would have in the not too distant past.
There's still a lot of work to be done but we are heading in the right direction.

I liked that he accumulated and all of the intercept possessions. Missed my votes because he chipped everything around, even inside the attacking 50. Averaged about 12 metres gained per disposal and that was with 18 kicks in his 22 disposals. Needs to take it on a bit more.
Yep ,I agree , I'd love to see him drilling 40 _50 metre bullets. But good to see him getting some ball.

Still buzzing from that game. Walsh, TDK, SPS, Plow, Setters all did their jobs. The two hits on the lizard, the Newnes regulation freakish goal and Cotts attack on that mark and match winner. If you didn’t feel that game you probably don’t have a pulse.

Seldomly post here but feel it is needed... Stoked that we got the win but we make everything so difficult, it is more of a nightmare than a joy to watch us.

TDK has it, love what he brings and has the tool set to be an elite ruck, play him as much as possible.

SPS, an absolute whipping boy and sure has struggled for most of the year. That was his best game and exactly what we need from him. The key is consistency for him, put him in his best spot, tell him to back himself and he can be something we sorely lack, a clean ball user...

Walsh, absolute star, does everything you want from an A grader then digs deeper.

Plowman, fantastic job, kept Papley virtually unsighted which was desperately needed.

All in all, great to win...abysmal at times and we need to close that gap to truly improve past these sorts of efforts and results. Go Blues!

Well what pleasure this job turned out to be.

The Plowman Files, as ordered by: The Old Dark Navy's

Q1

Papley loses Plowman in traffic and gets a handball
Teammate fails to hit Plowman on the switch, Plowman soccers twice to get the ball to Samo who clears
Big contested grab in d50
Intercepts on wing and hits a target just outside f50
Lays a shepherd for Simpson, Blues go inside f50
Spills a contested mark at d50, Papley stays down and crumbs and clears for Swans
Contested mark attempt at d50, follows up with tackle
Winner: Plow

Q2

Leads Papley to contest at d50, forces throw in
Papley gets lead up mark on Swans HBF
Plowman tackles Reid at d50, forces throw in
Plowman tackles Papley in Swans forward pocket, Papley gets a handball away.
Plow handball receive, kick partially smothered, clears d50. Blues lose contest, Swans rebound and goal.
Unclear period with about 10 mins to go in second Q. Papley moved higher up and being manned by SPS, gets a few inconsequential touches, and produces one unstoppable rove off a contest and kicks a point. Not SPS' fault - great play from Papley. Papley starts in middle at next centre bounce. Couldn't see who Plowman was manning, ball mainly in Blues attack.
Plowman with a 'professional' holding free on Papley at Swans HF after Papley got out the back on a fast break from Swans.
Winner: Papley.

Q3

Missed the first 2 mins as I was getting a beer and complaining about our goalkicking on the gameday thread.
Plow runs hard to provide switch option on wing, marks, hits Levi lace out 20m from goals with a long kick, Levi drops it.
Plow trails Papley who takes a mark on Swans def 50
Papley with one of the best hand-trips of all times, completely stops a Carlton surge forward.
Plow provides switch option, marks and kicks long safely.

Q4

Intercepts, shrugs Papley 1v1, kicks inside 50
Wins 1v1 vs Papley, hits a short kick
Cleans up a horrible shank from a teammate and clears
Big tackle against the flow, causes spillage in corridor
Mops up a missed backward kick
Spoils the ball over the boundary
Big spoil over Papley over the boundary
Outmarked by Reid
Marks at HB and lands a 50m pass
Sneaks the ball OOB by hand at the bottom of the contest

Wash up:
10 disposals each, Papley with one point (kicked when not on Plowman). Blues win. However Plowman still arguably responsible for climate change, COVID-19, The Masked Singer, and Barista Bros iced coffee.
so chicken dinner that.........

Also TDK looked like an athletic Kreuzer at points tonight, I need someone smarter than me to run the numbers on some of his pickups at speed tonight cos I think they actually break the laws of physics for someone of his height to be doing that.

Also a ruckman who can kick! Surely we own the only one in the league? (Half serious half sarcastic btw).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This club will be the death of me.

I’ve been SPS’ harshest critic this year but that was clearly his best game of the year. That’s the player he can be.

Plowman - exceptional.

Walsh. This guy astonishes me.

TDK. Will develop in to a finer ruckman than Grundy. The kid is something special.

which Grundy?

2019 or 2020??????

TDK is probably already better than the 2020 version.

SPS played the same role tonight he’s been playing all year off a back flank. He’s had some obvious mares but also played a bunch of solid games where he’s beaten his opponent without really adding much offensively. Tonight he did both and was superb. Reckon he’ll be a better and more complete player if he’s pushed back into the middle a la Gibbs in his later Carlton years.

Serious question - was anyone able to determine what changed structurally to allow SPS more midfield time???

I think the nature of the game allowed him to be far more attacking than he otherwise would’ve been. He had a lot of time to think whilst the Swans were flooding.

I don’t see him as a lockdown defender long term. If he is to line up at half back it should be as that 6th/7th unaccountable playmaker. Not sure he has that luxury against better sides.

Serious question - was anyone able to determine what changed structurally to allow SPS more midfield time???

I don't think he even played that much mid, he definitely attended at least one centre bounce from memory but I think he was just given a longer leash to run up the ground from half back and be that attacking link up player. Should never be chained to a back pocket again, let him play on instinct and use his creativity and silk up the ground a bit more.

Big credit to Docherty today. I thought he steppped up massively and was back to his best in the 3rd and 4th quarters.

You need guys like Cottrell in the team - he’d been quite awful, but just to have that whatever it is... it makes the team better
thought he was a little audacious on abc radio after the game suggesting taylor's free kick didn't look much like a free kick......what do I know........

Back