Autopsy Rd 16 Blues pull off comeback victory from 7 goals down

Who played well in Round 16 vs the Swans?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Frustrating as hell.
Its all about method and execution.
Ffs what have they been doing all day in the hub.
Still the same issues as rich in rd 1 /melb round 2. Zero..improvement on their faults. Yes comeback was great..ive not had any issues with their determination this yr. But they got away with one 2nite just like freo.
Still so much improvement needed if they wanna take the next step.
Weiters is tye only bloke rite now i just with the footy in his hands..to make the right decision then execute. This is whats holding us back. Little things kills us. Fir example the Walsh kick in 3rd which cost us a goal. Played really well but just a poor decision and costs a goal. Samo best game in ages but again burnt Levi once and then McKay both in the last when scores level with poor kicks which didnt favour them. Harsh?
No
These are the little thing which cost us. Yes others made mistakes as well but i want to bring those 2 players up cause they in the main had good games..but still made poor decisions/ execution errors.
The win certainly showed again the group has character...but if we want no 17 thats not enough ..now is the time to start demanding it
Debbie downer

With the forwards it is how they are coached and what is asked of them that’s the problem, they are instructed, and I sh*t you not, to run away from the ball carrier when we get a fast break, not run away and double back just run away it’s mind boggling, they are asked to stand in the hot spot and have the mids kick it on there heads so that they can, if they don’t mark it, halve the contest so the smalls can crumb, it’s low percentage safe footy to try and avoid the quick rebound but it just doesn’t generate enough scores.

Harry somehow managed to clunk 2 contested marks for the night and Levi took 1 with his other one that resulted in a goal was on the lead which I think was one of the only leads for the whole game inside 50.

When you see how good all 3 tall forwards are at marking on the lead further up the ground it is baffling why they are almost instructed not to lead inside 50, there comes a point where you just have to back them in to take the marks on the lead inside 50 and be damned the quick rebound, they need to back in the talls at some stage or our scoring efficiency just won’t improve enough to be able to bury sides or compete with the best sides, it has to be a combination of the two methods and hopefully as the game plan is seated in and perfected we will be more inclined to try using both, I hope and pray.
True, but it also requires the knowledge of the players kicking it in to kick in to their strengths. How often do you see it come in to the defenders advantage, heaps, and it deflates the forwards. We have enough athletic forwards to be able to gain the first metre of a kick if it is to their advantage and then mark it. Its a problem of both the forwards not dividing the space correctly to create holes so you can kick to an advantage, and also players not kicking to a momentum side of a player, so they can guard the space. Its up to the smalls to crumb the drops, read the momentum, Betts is an expert as this but he is not as nimble as he was. I want him to train others.

The shift in tempo helps the likes of SPS, but still prefer him around the pill
It was a very heartening fight back from Samo after a horrid start to the night, this was probably the first time all year where I saw him happy and engaged in the rooms after the game as well and hopefully it is the beginnings of us getting the old Samo back at his blistering best. 😁

Was thinking the same thing. I don’t rate McG but Cunningham? What’s his problem? In a game like tonight, ball on the ground, he was a witches hat. I’d rather see Honey/Philp/Kennedy instead of him
Agree was expecting way more, like SPS last week looked terrible hasn’t played AFL level for 3/4 weeks hopefully needed the run..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so realistically where would you expect us to be as far as growth from last year?
Last yr is irrelevant. Im judging this yr. The issues in rd1 v rich were poor execution..we had more disposals more inside 50s and our kicking efficiency was horrible. And we conceded a bucket load of consecutive goals. Round 16 its still the same.

1 more win and its our first season since 2014 that we’ve surpassed 7 wins. We had 7 and a draw back then and finished on 30 pts.

I think it would be a nice defining point of this rebuild and season to say that the next phase is coming. Tonight’s heart and grit to come back from 39 is even more of an indicator.

I think its fair to say we have done this well DESPITE our match committees continued bone headed selection and some ridiculous rigidity on forcing players to play in positions that they won't excel in.

SPS plays in freer role and instantly kills it.

Walsh plays some on ball time and is BOG. Surprise surprise. Often you laugh at arm chair coaches but so many of the things people have called for have been bang on.

I suspect if we rotated a bit more effectively we would have won against pies or giants.

We really need to get this sh*t right next year.
Rotations have been way too lopsided, another handful should have shared the loads...

Back