Oppo Camp Brodie Grundy (Traded to Melbourne 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow fancy and elite sports person trying to negotiate a good contact. Such an immature response. I reckon if you did a poll at the start of this season who out best and most important player is Grundy would have been well in front. I personally still think he is and by a fair way. I just think he is a bit out of form.

People say he is a poor tap ruckman yet our stats on goals from stoppage's have been elite over the last couple of years.

The bloke is a gun and even out of form he busts his arse every single week. He earnt the right for a big contract by being the elite ruckman and out best player 2 years prior.

I bet when he hits form again a number of the naysayers will be singing his praises. We really do have a lot of turn coats as supporters. Its quite embarrassing!
Sorry, but I was never in favor of signing him for 7 years, I always believed that his tap work didn't warrant the amount of money he was asking for, we would have got 2 top 10 picks for him coupled with this year's pick we could have set the club up for the next 10 years, we obviously have different options, no point trying to shove yours down everyone's throat, we have to carry that contract for 7 years.

Sorry haven't gone back and read all the recent comments on here but geez his connection with our mids is absolutely horrible. For the 2nd (or 3rd) year in a row we just haven't been able to take advantage of his dominance in the taps. Is that his fault? Our midfielders fault? or a combination of both?
He has become an expert in tapping it to spots that the opposition can take advantage of. At least 2 (or 3) of Port's goals last night were from his tap work going straight to them. He has even stopped grabbing it and getting clearances himself. I don't want to throw the baby out with the bath water but we can't go another year without addressing our midfield set up.

Sorry, but I was never in favor of signing him for 7 years, I always believed that his tap work didn't warrant the amount of money he was asking for, we would have got 2 top 10 picks for him coupled with this year's pick we could have set the club up for the next 10 years, we obviously have different options, no point trying to shove yours down everyone's throat, we have to carry that contract for 7 years.

So you can come on a public forum and bag him but I can't come on and defend him? Isn't that the Point of a forum!

I love him, I think he earnt the right to get a great contract. He is our club champ, An AA and coming into this season was IMO in the top 5 players in the club. I also know he is a fierce a competitor as we have,he is resiliant and he plays every week, a great leader around the club, a great role model for younger players and a bloody good ambassodor for the collingwood football club. I believe these things should also be considered when giving someone a good contact. He will bounce back and most will be glad he signed on.

As for 2 top 10 draft picks I personally think this is the most overated part of football. Why trade a star of the comp for 2 blokes who take years to develop and are complete unknowns? Shaz, Freeman hows stevo going now? The list goes on. I would have been ropable if we decided to trade him for complete unknowns when he is at the peak of his career(albiet a bit down this year)

So you can come on a public forum and bag him but I can't come on and defend him? Isn't that the Point of a forum!

I love him, I think he earnt the right to get a great contract. He is our club champ, An AA and coming into this season was IMO in the top 5 players in the club. I also know he is a fierce a competitor as we have,he is resiliant and he plays every week, a great leader around the club, a great role model for younger players and a bloody good ambassodor for the collingwood football club. I believe these things should also be considered when giving someone a good contact. He will bounce back and most will be glad he signed on.

As for 2 top 10 draft picks I personally think this is the most overated part of football. Why trade a star of the comp for 2 blokes who take years to develop and are complete unknowns? Shaz, Freeman hows stevo going now? The list goes on. I would have been ropable if we decided to trade him for complete unknowns when he is at the peak of his career(albiet a bit down this year)

Cant agree more. Same with trading stevo away. So we essentially got a kid with x factor that can kick a bag as a small forward, but we think we get better value trading him for a late first rounder.

If we still had Witts to cover the ruck, a gamble on a trade using Grundy to secure 2 first rounders would be a rather lucrative proposition.

Well what about the offer
What could have been

O'Brien/ Greenwood and first round
Or
Pick 1 and O'Brien

Money left over.
Cameron perhaps

Totally overrated
Totally over hyped

He's the new Minson
A dumb smart bloke

Cant agree more. Same with trading stevo away. So we essentially got a kid with x factor that can kick a bag as a small forward, but we think we get better value trading him for a late first rounder.
No club wants Stevo

Wow , what a disappointment

And people bag brown

Fair dinkum
I've been preaching this for two years
He's been stat padding, roving his own ball
Simple to stop by opposition

Hence our clearance numbers
Against theirs
Hence the depleted clearance numbers for him

Always know when he's looking for a cheap clearance he doesn't jump at the centre and bodies

Obvious

I know things haven't gone right for Stepho this year (or the betting debacle last year) but we are not going to off load a pick 6 from 3 years ago (who was good enough for a rising star win in 2018). Don't forget he was coming from a long way back this year with the off season Glandular Fever. Who knows he may still be battling the affects of that. Unless there is something else going on behind the scenes I'd be pretty disappointed if they off loaded him for a draft pick.

Writing his career off after 3 years already?
My theory
Doesn't like the wet
Doesn't like tight spots
Doesn't like hard ball

Offered nothing all season
Some would say cost us a golden opportunity last year with his selfishness

So he hasn't earnt a game

As I said, your opinion, don't stress

Because with the side we have and even at full strength we still fall short of the real top teams. Don't compare the Shaz draft to this years and next, they are miles apart. We need a developing KPF and KPD, as well as a classy midfielder and this years draft has all of them. But, lets keep flogging the same old horse for the same old result

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even when was Market Value as other teams would pay the Same

I think the hysteria relating to Grundy's form is way over the top.

Yes, he's been down this year, but I'm pretty sure he's carrying an injury he received in the Richmond game. You also have to take into account how the lockdown/hub life affects people - some players are obviously struggling a bit.

I think we will see Grundy back to his best next year.

What I cant understand is, why we would invest $7mil on a ruckman, who is clearly a great player, and then hire a ruck coach who was a centre half forward.

Devoting that much money to a ruckman is a mistake. I've been saying that since the middle of last year at least. Flags aren't won by paying rucks a million a year. The premiership ruckman of recent years has been Nankervis, Lycette, Nankervis, Roughead, McEvoy, Max Bailey, Mumford.

You'd have to go back to 2011 to find a dominant ruckman in Brad Ottens and he wouldn't have been anywhere near the most money at Geelong in 2011.

The reality is that Grundy is an average (at best) tap ruckman who doesn't find his mids often enough. He can find the ball (that's also dropped) and he is being paid to be a giant ruck rover.

He's got six years to make up for it, but if the remainder of his career resembles his 2020 we've given him one of the worst contracts in the history of pro sports.

Based on his three years prior he's worth that much annually, but seven years is uber risky.

Grundy may be carrying an injury (ankle) he may not however, he is not as productive around the ground as the last couple of years and is getting monstered more than usual.
He is not getting the ball or taking marks around the ground anywhere near as much as he did the past 2 years.
His conection with our mids is terrible, sadly its never been a strong point, the one mid he seems to have decent connection with is DeGoey when he plays there.
ie: he is not in his best form and we need him to find it again and sustain it.

Fair dinkum
I've been preaching this for two years
He's been stat padding, roving his own ball
Simple to stop by opposition

Hence our clearance numbers
Against theirs
Hence the depleted clearance numbers for him

Always know when he's looking for a cheap clearance he doesn't jump at the centre and bodies

Obvious

More than a few times, I've questioned the value we placed on Grundy. I admit that he's cost us too much.

But I still love the bloke.

The idea that he's been playing for 'cheap clearances' is a sick f****** joke.

You make some good comments in your unique way, but don't do yourself any credit with suggestions of 'stat padding'.

Grundy's midfield contribution has been impressive, before this year, and it isn't his fault that the club has been happy to overlook his deficiencies as a tap ruckman in paying him top dollar.

That's my point, I don't think we should have offered him 7 years, 5 years take it or leave it, would still have prefered the draft picks

and Those Draft Picks could be Duds

I don't understand why he hasn't been instructed to get the attempted finesse out of his game, as he doesn't truly have it and it doesn't work. This is irrespective of form.

He should be grabbing the ball from stoppages where possible and either kick it forward or handball if not possible.

Needs to get the slow, short kicks out of his game when he marks or gets a free kick. It is just poor and snookers us. No immediate option means a kick to a contest taking territory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back