Oppo Camp Brodie Grundy (Traded to Melbourne 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, don't I know it!

What make me like this thread though is the selective memory.

Isn't it right that when the idea of trading Grundy was on the table, Mitchell deal was nowhere to be seen. This was basically the situation:

Grundy or McStay?

I personally didn't see how getting rid of Grundy was going to help our clearance problem since I rated him a much better ruck than Cameron. McStay I saw as a b-grade, 3rd string, forward, not good enough to displace Hipwood or Daniher, who are themselves not elite.

Suddenly everyone is acting as if we all knew Mitchell was coming to us, when he was a consequence of the great betrayal by Henry right at the death of the trade period.

Things turned out well, but a good result isn't always the consequence of great decisions. Just some good luck.
You seem to focus on players and trade value etc - at some stage you'll need to get back on topic - SOY, ALMOND, TOFU etc - these are brain foods needed to tackle mundane sh#te like football and clearances etc etc

PS - Apparently Tom Mitchell drinks Kopi Luwak

Last edited:
Whether Grundy is still a great player, or how well he goes at Melbourne, is completely irrelevant.

We had to get his contract off our books to get the list to where Fly & Wrighty wanted to get it.

I would rather he had been traded to a non-contender, but we were not in a position to control that.

I think we can see after 3 rounds that trading him out has been justified.

He is now just another opposition player, time to move on.

Oh, don't I know it!

What make me like this thread though is the selective memory.

Isn't it right that when the idea of trading Grundy was on the table, Mitchell deal was nowhere to be seen. This was basically the situation:

Grundy or McStay?

I personally didn't see how getting rid of Grundy was going to help our clearance problem since I rated him a much better ruck than Cameron. McStay I saw as a b-grade, 3rd string, forward, not good enough to displace Hipwood or Daniher, who are themselves not elite.

Suddenly everyone is acting as if we all knew Mitchell was coming to us, when he was a consequence of the great betrayal by Henry right at the death of the trade period.

Things turned out well, but a good result isn't always the consequence of great decisions. Just some good luck.
Finally someone gets it!

POP QUIZ....

which is the worse long-term contract signing by a club.....brodie grundy or eric hipwood? I would argue hipwood. He's 25 and his best should be ahead of him but he is a downhill skiier...

Unless the signing of Hipwood causes a salary cap debacle at Brisbane, it’s comfortably Grundy

well i suppose thats a wider issue and you're right there because the pies made the deal without caring much for the future... but on player value, I'd say hipwood because his deal is far more speculative

seems some are still struggling with accepting why we were awful in clearances for years.

its not complicated. the answer is Grundy.

He now has a beast of clearance team (Oliver, Petracca, Viney) and his side is still can't win the clearance battle.

Clearance vs opponent
Melbourne
2021 +0.2 #8
2022 +1.2 #7
2023 -11.7 #18

Pies
2021 -1.5 #15
2022 -4.3 #16
2023 +4.7 #3

Melbourne with a midfield of bulls has gone from winning the clearance battle to dead last.

Collingwood have gone for being awful to +4.7 per game and 3rd best team.

What's the common denominator?

I think we made the right decision given he didn’t want to take a pay cut. His position and attributes aren’t worth 900k, even at 2018 form.

He is a great player nonetheless. When he plays you only need on ruckman in the team, other teams need to combat him with two…so automatically you’re better off being able to field another runner.

Wasn’t even asked according to Grundy. Apparently has taken a shave at the Dees.

seems some are still struggling with accepting why we were awful in clearances for years.

its not complicated. the answer is Grundy.

He now has a beast of clearance team (Oliver, Petracca, Viney) and his side is still can't win the clearance battle.

Clearance vs opponent
Melbourne
2021 +0.2 #8
2022 +1.2 #7
2023 -11.7 #18

Pies
2021 -1.5 #15
2022 -4.3 #16
2023 +4.7 #3

Melbourne with a midfield of bulls has gone from winning the clearance battle to dead last.

Collingwood have gone for being awful to +4.7 per game and 3rd best team.

What's the common denominator?

well i think those stats end the argument..... we can close the thread now

Thank god for that! Now his season average for marks has been bumped up to 2 per game.

View attachment 1648164

Stats are always interpretive.

Generally speaking outliers like his 5 mark game are scrubbed when looking at a players REAL output.

Like last season when he barely took a mark and then had 6 or so against the Scum and increased his average to 2 for that period. When he was only managing less than a mark per game for that period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You seem to focus on players and trade value etc - at some stage you'll need to get back on topic - SOY, ALMOND, TOFU etc - these are brain foods needed to tackle mundane sh#te like football and clearances etc etc

PS - Apparently Tom Mitchell drinks Kopi Luwak
Hope Tom is on a salary with the club that allows him to imbibe at will on civet s**t which I would imagine doesn't come cheaply, particularly once it arrives in what is possibly the world's most expensive country. I am at least heartened to know that the civets are apparently free ranged rather than caged, requiring, it seems, the freedom to roam and select for themselves the best beans on offer.

Hope Tom is on a salary with the club that allows him to imbibe at will on civet s**t which I would imagine doesn't come cheaply, particularly once it arrives in what is possibly the world's most expensive country. I am at least heartened to know that the civets are apparently free ranged rather than caged, requiring, it seems, the freedom to roam and select for themselves the best beans on offer.
Civets entering free agency?

Just let Brodie's form do the talking. The rest is just words.
The only Grundy form I am worried about is on Kings Birthday. That can be discussed on the game day thread, rather than this endless fighting.

He doesn’t play for us anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back