List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion 2022-->

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key dates attached so we know what’s going on when.

• Friday 30 September at 9.00am
  • AFL Restricted Free Agency and Unrestricted Free Agency Period commences
Monday 03 October at 9.00am
  • AFL Trade Period commences – Players & Selections
Friday 07 October at 5.00pm
  • Close of AFL Restricted Free Agency Offer and Unrestricted Free Agency Period.
Monday 10 October
  • AFL Draft Nominations open (9am)
  • AFL Restricted Free Agency Matching Offer 3 Day Period Ends (5pm)
Wednesday 12 October at 7.30pm
  • AFL Trade Period closes – players and selections
Thursday 03 November at 9.00am
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) commences
Wednesday 09 November at 5.00pm
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) closes
Friday 11 November at 9.00am
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) commences
Tuesday 15 November by 5.00pm
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) closes
  • AFL Trade Period closes – selections only
Monday 21 November by 3.00pm
  • AFL Draft Nominations close
Monday 28 November at 7.10pm
  • 2022 AFL Draft Round One (Venue TBC)
  • Father/Son, Academy & NGA and Players Bidding opens.
Tuesday 29 November
  • AFL Trade Period – selections only (5.45pm to 6.30pm)
  • 2022 AFL National Draft Round two until completion (7pm)
  • Rookie Upgrade Period opens (10pm)
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) commences (10pm)
  • Rookie Upgrade Period closes (11pm)
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) closes (11pm)
Wednesday 30 November
  • AFL Pre-Season Draft (3pm, online)
  • AFL Rookie Draft (3.20pm, online)
Thursday 01 December by 4.00pm
  • Final AFL Club List Lodgement

Sam Edmund is such a spud. "How about Collingwood, they weren't going to budge (on pick 25), they weren't going to budge, they weren't going to budge, they weren't going to budge... they budged and took 25 for Henry"

This is whilst they were talking about it as a 3-way trade, so it's not like he didn't know.
He should’ve said… “Geelong apparently were not chasing Ollie Henry. But in the end they gave up pick 25 and a first round player to get him. That’s chasing I’m afraid fellas…”

He should’ve said… “Geelong apparently were not chasing Ollie Henry. But in the end they gave up pick 25 and a first round player to get him. That’s chasing I’m afraid fellas…”
Yep a journalist would have said that but he's not fit to tie a journalist's bootlaces - not in this universe anyway.

I'm sure Fly and GW have now moved one and aren't wasting their energy abusing BG and OH.

They'll have a short break and start planning for 2023.

Way to go imo.

B is probably the correct rating for us
You ain’t getting anymore than that when you are salary dumping a player and have a kid wanting to leave. It’s an excellent result in the circumstances. Also needs to be viewed after the draft. The grade should include who you get with the picks

Last edited:
He only had a year left on his contract, so both. Anything beyond next year is a fresh deal inked by Collingwood and has nothing to do with the Hawks.
I would think Mitchell will get a 3 year contract on something like $600K a year.
Someone said Hawthorn would be paying around $450K for next year.
If so, it would mean we will pay Mitchell next to nothing for next season.

Sam Edmund is such a spud. "How about Collingwood, they weren't going to budge (on pick 25), they weren't going to budge, they weren't going to budge, they weren't going to budge... they budged and took 25 for Henry"

This is whilst they were talking about it as a 3-way trade, so it's not like he didn't know.

pretty sure he is a big Carlton fan so he pots the Pies incessantly. Can't mention Treloar without bringing up the salary thing and it will be the same with Grundy. Also every time Ollie Henry is mentioned he will talk about how he was a steal for Geelong at Pick 25. Be prepared

You ain’t getting anymore than that when you are salary dumping a player and have a kid wanting to leave. It’s an excellent result in the circumstances. Also needs to be viewed after the draft. The grade should include who you get with the pics
This is a very good double entrendre.

I hope you mean "picks".....

You ain’t getting anymore than that when you are salary dumping a player and have a kid wanting to leave. It’s an excellent result in the circumstances. Also needs to be viewed after the draft. The grade should include who you get with the pics
Given the constraints, I thought GW did well - B is about right.

pretty sure he is a big Carlton fan so he pots the Pies incessantly. Can't mention Treloar without bringing up the salary thing and it will be the same with Grundy. Also every time Ollie Henry is mentioned he will talk about how he was a steal for Geelong at Pick 25. Be prepared
"they budged and took 25 for Henry" and Mitchell.

At a very high level I thought our trade period and the moves made had the aim of achieving balance.

Wright had to balance short term aspirations with medium term responsibilities - hence the McStay and Mitchell acquisitions to bolster any flag tilt we may make next season, balanced with acquisitions for Hill and Frampton, whose value may only be realised in a few years (although we all hope sooner).

The other balancing act was to free up future cap space while retaining the ability to bolster the lower age bracket of our list. Grundy's departure was a necessary evil in achieving the former, while Henry's desire to leave exacerbated the latter.

Faced with the reality of being unlikely to acquire any first round picks, Wright chose to strengthen our draft hand in the late first to mid second round, thereby providing us with flexibility to bolster the lower age bracket of our list at this year's draft with picks that aren't speculative 3rd and 4th rounders. Equally, we have a better chance of seeking to trade up if there's one or two draftees who the club really rates.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some people are questioning the pick we gave up for Mitchell but many are missing the main point which is the significant amount of money the Hawks are contributing. This is why we give up a better pick. Big win in my book.
???

Didnt we give them two 3rd rounders 41 and 50 that we werent going to use?

They are trash picks.

Mitchell is a big win, as he gives us a genuine in and under first possession winner who can feed our runners.

But dont get your logic, as we gave up barely anything to get him.

You ain’t getting anymore than that when you are salary dumping a player and have a kid wanting to leave. It’s an excellent result in the circumstances. Also needs to be viewed after the draft. The grade should include who you get with the picks
The real benefit won't be known for a few years. It's the last 3 years of Grundy's contract when that trade is likely to be of biggest benefit.

Personally, I think we smashed it in the short and medium term with significant improvement in the areas we needed. Ollie out is likely to be long term damage, but I'm very bullish about Hill, with a game that is more suited to modern footy than Ollie's.

I just don’t really rate much of our young talent, and don’t like picks 25 and 27 at all and we have few picks next year, I’m concerned how we get quality kids into the club and thought we could somehow address that this year but if anything we’re further away. Hopefully there’s something we can package those two up for, we can trade picks up until the draft yeah?
Many avenues to bring in talent, and it doesnt always need to be 18 yr olds.

We can just wait a couple of seasons and poach 21-22 yr olds from GWS/GC which seems the smart way to go about it. Get players who are developed and ready to go and not suffer the "developing" years where you grt minimal onfield return.

B is probably the correct rating for us
Yet the euphoria in here for the picks and strategy would have us belle of the ball. I'd like to have secured Mitchell without losing Henry. Henry will hurt down the line. Safe in the bosom of his brother and family he will blossom. Our ins are handy and in one case exciting. But other teams are becoming even stronger than our stronger, more so after the draft. The only one about who I am doubtful is that musician's brother. If he is to become another Leigh Brown, he is beginning from a far lower pedigree base.

I’m not convinced on Hill as a forward, but I have a feeling the club view him more as a likely replacement for Sidey on the wing, which is where I think he will shine tbh.

Yet the euphoria in here for the picks and strategy would have us belle of the ball. I'd like to have secured Mitchell without losing Henry. Henry will hurt down the line. Safe in the bosom of his brother and family he will blossom. Our ins are handy and in one case exciting. But other teams are becoming even stronger than our stronger, more so after the draft. The only one about who I am doubtful is that musician's brother. If he is to become another Leigh Brown, he is beginning from a far lower pedigree base.
I'm really happy with it. Brisbane made significant short term gains, but not in areas of need. Freo made a short term gain with OMeara.

Richmond and us are the teams that made big short term gains in areas of need. Cats have set themselves up beautifully for the future, but Selwood out for these kids is a short term loss.

Cox is basically our only backup, from there we start robbing Peter to pay Paul as Begg isn't ready (might also be a KPD, not a ruck long term). Faye also not ready, maybe another year on scholarship / playing as an over-ager in the U18s competition?

McStay was brought in to straighten us up going inside F50, only a undersized chop-out ruck for short bursts at best, not a full time ruck.

Kreuger also supposed to be bolstering our forward line, again undersized and has no real experience in the ruck.

Frampton has always been a sub-standard ruck, hence the move to forward and now defender. Probably the third option still behind Cameron and Cox but not oen you can expect much out of.

Like I said we're actually very thin in the ruck department now and with list spots being limited (can really only fit in three ND draft picks assuming we delist Magden this time around) we'd want the injury imp to stay away from our ruck division for sure, or we'll find ourselves suddenly scratching for an undersized part-timer to fill in much sooner than we'd like.
Not sure about that. Begg appears to be being groomed as a ruck.
Obviously I wasn't suggesting we'd use Mcstay, Frampton or Kruger as our main ruckman. I think we will try to revert to one ruck structure with Mcstay/Frampton as chop outs. That means we'd have 2 backup rucks playing VFL every week.
If we take a cat B rookie ruck project it probably doesn't add to our available rucks ready to play seniors(at least for a few years) anyway.

I’m not convinced on Hill as a forward, but I have a feeling the club view him more as a likely replacement for Sidey on the wing, which is where I think he will shine tbh.

Wright mentioned on his review video that Hill sees himself as a midfielder with a nice little jab for him at the end about building the tank for it.

I think he’ll play high half forward and take some turns in the midfield but you may also be right in that long term he burns up and down a wing.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don’t see that as a big gap we don’t need to deviate from taking the best player available.

We’ve moved away from having a top tier ruckman as a strategy, so we have to live with that. Cox and Cameron are very good options, we have pinch backups in Kreuger and Frampton if one of those go down.

Begg is developing. And if we ever decided to go back to a top tier ruck strategy, we could always throw Moore in there and get a Brownlow at the same time.

For me it’s always best available at the draft, we should try get into the top 10 and target the most impactful player no matter the position.
Usually best available is a sound strategy. But in our case, if the best available is a midfielder, may pass to concentrate on a KPF. That's probably a greater need, providing a good one can be had. We have plenty of midfielders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back