List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion 2022-->

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key dates attached so we know what’s going on when.

• Friday 30 September at 9.00am
  • AFL Restricted Free Agency and Unrestricted Free Agency Period commences
Monday 03 October at 9.00am
  • AFL Trade Period commences – Players & Selections
Friday 07 October at 5.00pm
  • Close of AFL Restricted Free Agency Offer and Unrestricted Free Agency Period.
Monday 10 October
  • AFL Draft Nominations open (9am)
  • AFL Restricted Free Agency Matching Offer 3 Day Period Ends (5pm)
Wednesday 12 October at 7.30pm
  • AFL Trade Period closes – players and selections
Thursday 03 November at 9.00am
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) commences
Wednesday 09 November at 5.00pm
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) closes
Friday 11 November at 9.00am
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) commences
Tuesday 15 November by 5.00pm
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) closes
  • AFL Trade Period closes – selections only
Monday 21 November by 3.00pm
  • AFL Draft Nominations close
Monday 28 November at 7.10pm
  • 2022 AFL Draft Round One (Venue TBC)
  • Father/Son, Academy & NGA and Players Bidding opens.
Tuesday 29 November
  • AFL Trade Period – selections only (5.45pm to 6.30pm)
  • 2022 AFL National Draft Round two until completion (7pm)
  • Rookie Upgrade Period opens (10pm)
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) commences (10pm)
  • Rookie Upgrade Period closes (11pm)
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) closes (11pm)
Wednesday 30 November
  • AFL Pre-Season Draft (3pm, online)
  • AFL Rookie Draft (3.20pm, online)
Thursday 01 December by 4.00pm
  • Final AFL Club List Lodgement

Sam Edmund is such a spud. "How about Collingwood, they weren't going to budge (on pick 25), they weren't going to budge, they weren't going to budge, they weren't going to budge... they budged and took 25 for Henry"

This is whilst they were talking about it as a 3-way trade, so it's not like he didn't know.

Sam Edmund is such a spud. "How about Collingwood, they weren't going to budge (on pick 25), they weren't going to budge, they weren't going to budge, they weren't going to budge... they budged and took 25 for Henry"

This is whilst they were talking about it as a 3-way trade, so it's not like he didn't know.

Yeah he seems to have overlooked the minor issue of us also getting a Brownlow medallist in that deal.

edit…..

Not to mention Geelong giving away 38 48 55 a future second a future fourth just to land pick 25 in the first place, only to realise they needed to move on a 2019 top 20 draftee as well. They bent themselves over in their cynical efforts to bend us over.

Last edited:

Superficial moronic reporters. Nothing new.

Deadset Fwit, just one of the Collingwood media haters crew.

This is only true if he assumes the hawks would have taken 41 and 50 for Mitchell. Which is highly unlikely.

It’s a stone cold certainty we’ll bring in a 200cm player through the draft/ SSP. The only question is whether it’s a Scully/ Lemmey fwd/ ruck, a Murray as a developing ruck or a straight up state league option like Crossley.
Given our pick range I reckon Keeler is a high chance.

In the interview with GW released on the pies website tonight he said that we may pick up a ruck in the draft/by other means. Do you guys know of any uncontacted rucks that would be available?

On RMX3201 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Crossley as a rookie/SSP would be an astute pickup imo.

In total or per annum?

Great either way with Collingwood only paying 150 for Grundy and the Treloar subsidy likely gone too.
He only had a year left on his contract, so both. Anything beyond next year is a fresh deal inked by Collingwood and has nothing to do with the Hawks.

While we don't have a top ten pick, three picks in top 27 is three picks in the first 1.5 rounds. Bound to be some good talent available, just with less certainty of success than top ten.

Consider it's good to add 2-3 players from the draft every year to spread the age groups, we'd love three picks in top 27 every year.

Also worth waiting for draft day, when we get the chance to trade up or out into next year.

This is only true if he assumes the hawks would have taken 41 and 50 for Mitchell. Which is highly unlikely.
Also only true if the cats got something other than a snow flake for pick 25 and Stephens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey remember when there was a stupid rumour that people almost bought into about us getting Parrish?

F**king lol

It wouldn't surprise me if Parish was on next year in his free agency year.

May also take 3 players and use 51 to upgrade Noble.
We will know more about their thinking once our delistings are announced.
Different system these days. The upgraded rookies just get added onto the senior list and don’t need a pick. Other option is to move 51 into 2023 or with one or two of the other 3 picks.

Last edited:

Could be time to turn the radio off I reckon. But you do what makes you happy!

I’d give us a B in acquisitions, but I’d give Wright a C- if that makes sense.

I don’t mind the additions, but outside of Mitchell, I feel Wright made mistakes with contract length and what we gave up picks wise.

McStay will just be a reliable player, improves us slightly, but 5 years was too many, should have been 3, given we weren’t in a bidding war with anyone and his age. Too generous from Wright.

Hill I rate, and is our only addition with scope to improve significantly. But giving up that future second was too generous from Wright.

As was giving up a future 3rd for an inconsistent bloke on the scrapheap(Frampton). Giving him 3 years it’s 1 too many. Again Wright was too generous.

Mitchell great get, didn’t give up much, fills a massive hole in our list. Good work by Wright.

Losing picks in a strong draft(2023) and gaining picks in a weak draft(2022), not good.

I’m content with the additions, it’s nothing special, just solid moves that all make sense and we were hindered by circumstances. Not impressed by the way Wright chose to acquire them. His eagerness to pay overs was a hallmark of his Hawthorn days, and it’s continued in this trade period.
I understand what you stated however I feel it is way too early to determine how good our acquisitions are. It is something that needs to be done in retrospect. I will wait 12 months. I love how GW and the club recruited for needs this time around instead of recruiting 5 good HFF's. I am happy thus far with who we have recruited. A champion team will always beat a team of champions.

henry was a loss but AJ is about as closely similar player you could find in terms of team role (3rd tall mark and goal) and may be better so we wont feel it directly
I have watched Ollie since he was at the Falcons. When the ball was on the ground he was happy being on the periphery waiting for the ball to come out to do something flashy, without really wanting to get his hands dirty. He was told how good he was. His flashy play and big marks has masked his defensive deficiencies. These were highlighted as areas of improvement in his draft profile. Two years later they are still his greatest weakness. So how bad does he want it it?

I have a feeling that AJ wants it more. He has travelled far and wide to be given an opportunity. His defensive efforts were poor in the finals but I will back him him to improve in these areas. A full preseason will also greatly improve him.

I stopped listening to any of the clickbait reporters (couldn't call them journalists - journalists can tell a story) from the Herald Sun long ago.

Some people are questioning the pick we gave up for Mitchell but many are missing the main point which is the significant amount of money the Hawks are contributing. This is why we give up a better pick. Big win in my book.
Exactly, I don't think the football media understands how important salary cap management is becoming. There is very little mention in the "ratings" of trade week performance.

As seen in many other salary cap sports, teams that understand the value of cap space have a huge advantage. In the NHL you regularly see first round picks sent with a salary dump with nothing coming back in return. Teams and fans accept it. The footy media is still calling those types of transactions "bizarre".

Geelong has been smarter than anyone else managing their salary cap, and they have weaponised space this year with the Bowes and #7 trade.

Collingwood now has significant optionality and power next year to utilise space to either play in free agency or take on next year's salary dump.

The balance of power is definitely held by those with space.

I stopped listening to any of the clickbait reporters (couldn't call them journalists - journalists can tell a story) from the Herald Sun long ago.
I stopped reading all print media soon after the Liberals allowed the aggravated acquisitions of all media outlets under two banners.

They are nothing more than rags and propaganda sheets sold to the highest bidder.

As a general rule I think we did reasonably well. The only critical piece I have is Bobby Hill, he’s simply not worth a second round pick, especially in a strong draft and I really question what role he plays in our side, but hey we’ll see.

The back end of McStay’s deal will be insignificant once the new rights come in so no need to worry about that and he’s a clear upgrade on Cox, Frampton addresses a key need and I’m relatively bullish on Mitchell with my performance and injury concerns with Adams.

Would have liked to have kept Henry, but we left that situation with a better return than I thought we get. Grundy I didn’t want to sign years ago so glad to finally see the back of him and the financial terms seem favourable which should have been the priority.

I just don’t really rate much of our young talent, and don’t like picks 25 and 27 at all and we have few picks next year, I’m concerned how we get quality kids into the club and thought we could somehow address that this year but if anything we’re further away. Hopefully there’s something we can package those two up for, we can trade picks up until the draft yeah?

Exactly, I don't think the football media understands how important salary cap management is becoming. There is very little mention in the "ratings" of trade week performance.

As seen in many other salary cap sports, teams that understand the value of cap space have a huge advantage. In the NHL you regularly see first round picks sent with a salary dump with nothing coming back in return. Teams and fans accept it. The footy media is still calling those types of transactions "bizarre".

Geelong has been smarter than anyone else managing their salary cap, and they have weaponised space this year with the Bowes and #7 trade.

Collingwood now has significant optionality and power next year to utilise space to either play in free agency or take on next year's salary dump.

The balance of power is definitely held by those with space.
Becoming? GC just paid a top 10 pick for $1.5m in cap space. It’s arrived as the second biggest currency come trade time and my guess is the average punter isn’t on to it yet because the media isn’t either. Draft picks will be hard to budge though because there’s a mystique about the prospect of some high end junior talent!
As a general rule I think we did reasonably well. The only critical piece I have is Bobby Hill, he’s simply not worth a second round pick, especially in a strong draft and I really question what role he plays in our side, but hey we’ll see.

The back end of McStay’s deal will be insignificant once the new rights come in so no need to worry about that and he’s a clear upgrade on Cox, Frampton addresses a key need and I’m relatively bullish on Mitchell with my performance and injury concerns with Adams.

Would have liked to have kept Henry, but we left that situation with a better return than I thought we get. Grundy I didn’t want to sign years ago so glad to finally see the back of him and the financial terms seem favourable which should have been the priority.

I just don’t really rate much of our young talent, and don’t like picks 25 and 27 at all and we have few picks next year, I’m concerned how we get quality kids into the club and thought we could somehow address that this year but if anything we’re further away. Hopefully there’s something we can package those two up for, we can trade picks up until the draft yeah?
Don’t sleep on this one. I agree our U21 profile is poor, but it’s better than Geelong’s purely because of Naicos. Opportunities will present year to year and the benefits of moving Grundy’s wage are that you can jump on Bowes type deals.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back