List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion 2022-->

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key dates attached so we know what’s going on when.

• Friday 30 September at 9.00am
  • AFL Restricted Free Agency and Unrestricted Free Agency Period commences
Monday 03 October at 9.00am
  • AFL Trade Period commences – Players & Selections
Friday 07 October at 5.00pm
  • Close of AFL Restricted Free Agency Offer and Unrestricted Free Agency Period.
Monday 10 October
  • AFL Draft Nominations open (9am)
  • AFL Restricted Free Agency Matching Offer 3 Day Period Ends (5pm)
Wednesday 12 October at 7.30pm
  • AFL Trade Period closes – players and selections
Thursday 03 November at 9.00am
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) commences
Wednesday 09 November at 5.00pm
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) closes
Friday 11 November at 9.00am
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) commences
Tuesday 15 November by 5.00pm
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) closes
  • AFL Trade Period closes – selections only
Monday 21 November by 3.00pm
  • AFL Draft Nominations close
Monday 28 November at 7.10pm
  • 2022 AFL Draft Round One (Venue TBC)
  • Father/Son, Academy & NGA and Players Bidding opens.
Tuesday 29 November
  • AFL Trade Period – selections only (5.45pm to 6.30pm)
  • 2022 AFL National Draft Round two until completion (7pm)
  • Rookie Upgrade Period opens (10pm)
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) commences (10pm)
  • Rookie Upgrade Period closes (11pm)
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) closes (11pm)
Wednesday 30 November
  • AFL Pre-Season Draft (3pm, online)
  • AFL Rookie Draft (3.20pm, online)
Thursday 01 December by 4.00pm
  • Final AFL Club List Lodgement

Becoming? GC just paid a top 10 pick for $1.5m in cap space. It’s arrived as the second biggest currency come trade time and my guess is the average punter isn’t on to it yet because the media isn’t either. Draft picks will be hard to budge though because there’s a mystique about the prospect of some high end junior talent!

I believe it has arrived for some, and frankly it started when we traded Treloar out. I was always of the view that 2020 was a good trade period for us in terms of results, yet we were routinely criticised and are only now starting to hear people start to question if it was better than first judgement. I would note that the club didn't handle the communications well in 2020, but it was difficult when you are doing something different, people don't understand and have a collective bias towards hating Collingwood.

We are now starting to see the salary dumps happening, but broader acceptance is still a while off. As I pointed out, the commentary and ratings don't appear to consider the benefit and even yesterday Andy Maher was saying the Geelong/GC trade was bizarre and the return was Grundy was way under. Other commentators have similarly questioned how these deals make sense.

I reckon we've got a great opportunity getting ahead of it (after being left in a crap position with some too heavy contracts) and we can reap the rewards in years to come.

Mackie about to be praised by Cornes. Geelong got lucky this trade period. A once in a generation trade because Gold Coast are an embarrassment. And a once in a generation cry baby.
Their best work was getting the kids to request a trade to them.

Mackie did well to protect their future first and not use it for Ollie and Bruhn. It cost them pick 38, future second and Stephens, plus a few junk picks they couldn't use. Assuming they didn't want Stephens, it was a definite trading win.

Their best work was getting the kids to request a trade to them.

Mackie did well to protect their future first and not use it for Ollie and Bruhn. It cost them pick 38, future second and Stephens, plus a few junk picks they couldn't use. Assuming they didn't want Stephens, it was a definite trading win.

Certainly a win, no doubt.

Mackie about to be praised by Cornes. Geelong got lucky this trade period. A once in a generation trade because Gold Coast are an embarrassment. And a once in a generation cry baby.

They did well to get Bowes and #7 for a future third.

Probably paid about what Bruhn was worth, so nothing to get excited about there.

Grossly overpaid for Henry;
#38, #48, #55, future 2nd, future 4th and Cooper Stephens. Two seconds and a player they took in the first round in 2019. Yeesh!

I’d give us a B in acquisitions, but I’d give Wright a C- if that makes sense.

I don’t mind the additions, but outside of Mitchell, I feel Wright made mistakes with contract length and what we gave up picks wise.

McStay will just be a reliable player, improves us slightly, but 5 years was too many, should have been 3, given we weren’t in a bidding war with anyone and his age. Too generous from Wright.

Hill I rate, and is our only addition with scope to improve significantly. But giving up that future second was too generous from Wright.

As was giving up a future 3rd for an inconsistent bloke on the scrapheap(Frampton). Giving him 3 years it’s 1 too many. Again Wright was too generous.

Mitchell great get, didn’t give up much, fills a massive hole in our list. Good work by Wright.

Losing picks in a strong draft(2023) and gaining picks in a weak draft(2022), not good.

I’m content with the additions, it’s nothing special, just solid moves that all make sense and we were hindered by circumstances. Not impressed by the way Wright chose to acquire them. His eagerness to pay overs was a hallmark of his Hawthorn days, and it’s continued in this trade period.
Can't agree with you. He doesn't stuff around with arguing over picks like Slackie from the pussies. Just gets it done.
Contract lengths are ok apart from the McStay one, but we don't know what the negotiations were when he agreed to come over.

If we're a pick or two short in next year's draft, he will replenish then with smart trading as he did last year.

I believe it has arrived for some, and frankly it started when we traded Treloar out. I was always of the view that 2020 was a good trade period for us in terms of results, yet we were routinely criticised and are only now starting to hear people start to question if it was better than first judgement. I would note that the club didn't handle the communications well in 2020, but it was difficult when you are doing something different, people don't understand and have a collective bias towards hating Collingwood.

We are now starting to see the salary dumps happening, but broader acceptance is still a while off. As I pointed out, the commentary and ratings don't appear to consider the benefit and even yesterday Andy Maher was saying the Geelong/GC trade was bizarre and the return was Grundy was way under. Other commentators have similarly questioned how these deals make sense.

I reckon we've got a great opportunity getting ahead of it (after being left in a crap position with some too heavy contracts) and we can reap the rewards in years to come.
I went on record at the time saying we were the first but certainly wouldn't be the last.

The way the AFL have allowed the player managers far too much power has led to this situation and the results were as predictable as the sun rising.

In total or per annum?

Great either way with Collingwood only paying 150 for Grundy and the Treloar subsidy likely gone too.
It's actually only $130 over 5 years which they are paying up front. The will be offset somewhat by the dawks paying a lot of Mitchell's salary in the first year.

the day is coming when clubs use less picks and start taking in more guys from vfl, sanfl etc who can play roles immediately.
Just common sense, the player managers now have too much power so the risk factor for clubs increases in direct relation to the length of contract.

Far better to hand pick a recruit or two and concentrate on more mature talent.

Grossly overpaid for Henry;
#38, #48, #55, future 2nd, future 4th and Cooper Stephens. Two seconds and a player they took in the first round in 2019. Yeesh!

Depends on Stephens. Most of those picks are junk. This year's third rounders only reall hold value to Brisbane. Future fourths never hold value. So it was essentially pick 38, future second and Stephens for Henry. Or really it was those three parts for their future first, as that was the real trade price of Ollie. Pick 38, future second and someone I've never heard of, to protect their future first is a win, unless Stephens has a fair bit of value.

I’m not convinced on Hill as a forward, but I have a feeling the club view him more as a likely replacement for Sidey on the wing, which is where I think he will shine tbh.
And if we are wanting to give youngsters more time on the wing, Sidey has the nius and skills to be effective as a dangerous small forward at times too.

Gives us extra flexibility.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depends on Stephens. Most of those picks are junk. This year's third rounders only reall hold value to Brisbane. Future fourths never hold value. So it was essentially pick 38, future second and Stephens for Henry. Or really it was those three parts for their future first, as that was the real trade price of Ollie. Pick 38, future second and someone I've never heard of, to protect their future first is a win, unless Stephens has a fair bit of value.
They could have manoeuvred with those picks. Trade back into the second and third rounds of the 2023 draft or trade up to essendon's pick 22 who will want points for davey.

the day is coming when clubs use less picks and start taking in more guys from vfl, sanfl etc who can play roles immediately.

Unless your Hawthorn.

Protecting that future first was what it was about. Mackie on sen we gave up a lot for 25 to facilitate Collingwood wanting a higher pick. We tried to get higher than 25.

Deal for the snow flake could have been done in 2 minutes with their future first and seemingly didn’t check with Wright if 25 would get it done.

pretty sure he is a big Carlton fan so he pots the Pies incessantly. Can't mention Treloar without bringing up the salary thing and it will be the same with Grundy. Also every time Ollie Henry is mentioned he will talk about how he was a steal for Geelong at Pick 25. Be prepared
It was hardly for pick 25. 38, 48, 55, 2023 2nd, 2023 4th, 25 plus Cooper Stephens (former 1st round) went south to get Henry.
So Slackie outsmarted himself.
Learn how to play with the big boys, smartarse.

Protecting that future first was what it was about. Mackie on sen we gave up a lot for 25 to facilitate Collingwood wanting a higher pick. We tried to get higher than 25.

Deal for the snow flake could have been done in 2 minutes with their future first and seemingly didn’t check with Wright if 25 would get it done.
Im sure Mackie now has a great relationship with the McConvilles's.
Probably still does despite me.being facetious as the player management showed us they were a few tools short of a tradeshed.

They could have manoeuvred with those picks. Trade back into the second and third rounds of the 2023 draft or trade up to essendon's pick 22 who will want points for davey.
It's going to be a short draft. Most teams have pretty full rosters and won't be picking late. Those 3rd round picks are currently worth very little. In the draft, late third round picks will get passed on or traded for future fourths. We did well to trade a couple out to help get the Mitchell/Henry trade. Essendon won't trade that pick unless Davey gets a bid in the top 20, which isn't a certainty and in the draft there will be multiple buyers, offering more than Cats could pay, if they do trade it.

Last edited:
I went on record at the time saying we were the first but certainly wouldn't be the last.

The way the AFL have allowed the player managers far too much power has led to this situation and the results were as predictable as the sun rising.
Player managers are leeches - barely productive rent seekers - they had a nice party last night

Screenshot_20221013-095613~2.png

I think next year's trade period is going to be epic, solid draft and some big names coming off contract, wonder if a lot of clubs used this season to salary dump and position themselves for a red hot crack.
Feel free to identify the superstars coming off contract, particularly the FAs.

You ain’t getting anymore than that when you are salary dumping a player and have a kid wanting to leave. It’s an excellent result in the circumstances. Also needs to be viewed after the draft. The grade should include who you get with the picks
If the salary dump is so we can bring in an A grade talent like Ben King at the end of next season we'll be laughing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back