Opinion 2024 Leadership discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

The 2024 leadership group comprises entirely of backline players …

• Darcy Moore, Captain
  • Jeremy Howe, Vice Captain
  • Brayden Maynard, Vice Captain
  • Isaac Quaynor, Vice Captain

IIRC in the Mick days we used to have every line represented.

For a while it seemed midfield dominated with the likes of Pendlebury, Adams, Grundy, and Sidebottom going through there.

Not sure what to read into that? Under a coach who embraces calculated risk taking, we’ve got a very solid / stable leadership group.

I don't think you necessarily need the title to be a leader. Whilst we still have veterans like Pendles and Sidey running through the midfield we'll be OK. But i'm not sure who in the midfield and particularly up forward can take those roles when those veterans retire.

But who knows how things will be in 2-3 years time. I'd never have guessed Q would be a VC just 2 years ago.

The 2024 leadership group comprises entirely of backline players …

• Darcy Moore, Captain
  • Jeremy Howe, Vice Captain
  • Brayden Maynard, Vice Captain
  • Isaac Quaynor, Vice Captain

IIRC in the Mick days we used to have every line represented.

For a while it seemed midfield dominated with the likes of Pendlebury, Adams, Grundy, and Sidebottom going through there.

Not sure what to read into that? Under a coach who embraces calculated risk taking, we’ve got a very solid / stable leadership group.
I think it reflects that we have natural leaders across every line regardless of who's in the leadership group, which is more of a group representing the whole club rather than as direct leaders on the ground. You see Elliot/Mihocek consulting our younger forwards after most goals, and you'll see a hell of a lot more of Pendlebury dishing out wisdom to Naicos, Macrae as his career twilights.

I like the idea that our in-club leadership begins at the backline, the coalface, the brunt of the opposition's focus. The first to respond and the last to give up. You see the fruits of that across so many of those enjoyable defensive masterclasses of games across 2022/23.

I think it reflects that we have natural leaders across every line regardless of who's in the leadership group, which is more of a group representing the whole club rather than as direct leaders on the ground. You see Elliot/Mihocek consulting our younger forwards after most goals, and you'll see a hell of a lot more of Pendlebury dishing out wisdom to Naicos, Macrae as his career twilights.

I like the idea that our in-club leadership begins at the backline, the coalface, the brunt of the opposition's focus. The first to respond and the last to give up. You see the fruits of that across so many of those enjoyable defensive masterclasses of games across 2022/23.

Tell me you were a defender without telling me you were a defender. Haha.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back