Injury The Concussion Discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Can we please move all the Nathan Murphy, Concussion Opinion and similar posts into here and give it the space it deserves.

There is an article in the Hun stating that Craig Stewart has been diagnosed with Stage 1 CTE after an autopsy by a leading neuropathologist.

According to McKee’s classification system, which I assume they are using, a stage 1 CTE case is typically asymptomatic, or experiences only mild depression/headaches/aggression/memory loss.

In short, their symptoms if they have them could just as easily be due to something else entirely.

According to McKee’s classification system, which I assume they are using, a stage 1 CTE case is typically asymptomatic, or experiences only mild depression/headaches/aggression/memory loss.

In short, their symptoms if they have them could just as easily be due to something else entirely.
He was only 66 which is still too young. As CTE is degenerative, Stage I might seem minor but had he lived to 80, it could well have been Stage II or Stage III, much like other conditions such as dementia become worse as the disease progresses.

I think some of those symptoms are easy to downplay but depression, aggression, mood swings can be serious to both the individual and relationships.

“However, it does give us a better understanding of his deteriorating health and behaviour over the past few years." - James Stewart.

Source: ‘Devastating’: 150-game VFL veteran Craig Stewart’s CTE diagnosis rocks AFL

As CTE is degenerative, Stage I might seem minor but had he lived to 80, it could well have been Stage II or Stage III, much like other conditions such as dementia become worse as the disease progresses.
I am not aware of any evidence to support that theory. At this stage the degeneration seen in CTE is being ascribed to head trauma, and not normal ageing.

It’s a difficulty of only being able to diagnose CTE in deceased subjects, but someone with stage 1 CTE degenerating in cognition later in life (after having ceased contact sports/activities causing head trauma) would be presumed to have adopted a more age-typical dementia process causing further decline from that point onwards, rather than their CTE worsening as they age.

Does anyone know why CTE can only be diagnosed via an autopsy and what the particular sign is that leads to the diagnosis?

Does anyone know why CTE can only be diagnosed via an autopsy and what the particular sign is that leads to the diagnosis?

The repeated brain trauma triggers progressive degeneration of the brain tissue, including the build-up of an abnormal protein called tau in a unique pattern. The pattern of tau seen in the brains of those with CTE is distinct from other neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease (AD), progressive supra nuclear palsy (PSP), and corticobasal degeneration (CBD).

From the Mayo Clinic: "A diagnosis requires evidence of degeneration of brain tissue and deposits of tau and other proteins in the brain. This can only be seen after death during an autopsy."

There have been some players diagnosed whilst alive but generally, autopsy is the easiest way.

The repeated brain trauma triggers progressive degeneration of the brain tissue, including the build-up of an abnormal protein called tau in a unique pattern. The pattern of tau seen in the brains of those with CTE is distinct from other neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease (AD), progressive supra nuclear palsy (PSP), and corticobasal degeneration (CBD).
Thanks SR

Yep the tau protein arranges itself in “tangles” around blood vessels within the brain, but unfortunately as yet this can’t be seen with current imaging techniques.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back