News Emma Grant files lawsuit against Collingwood over concussion

Remove this Banner Ad

May as well scrap this sport altogether. Her decision to play on. She wasn't forced.
Wear a helmet.

Yeah all studies have shown wearing Helmets makes the problem worse as players actually put their head in more prone positions and go in harder.

The brain still gets rocked. Helmets protect more against cuts and fractures really.

There is now a push to revert NFL back to helmet less to prevent players using their heads as a battering ram.

Last edited:
That is a bit harsh. At the end of the day this is about changing the general perceptions around injuries, it is about recognising injuries on the sporting field have long term implications. Emma is not ruining it for everyone, simply supporters and members of clubs. It wasn't ok for roman gladiators to die for entertainment, nor is it ok for current day sportspeople to be damaged for life. AFL/W is about entertainment: we, the public, need to recognise the cost.

Did you play footy growing up?

I'm sure its a good article but can't access. Is this one of those global warming is a myth kinda things?

It goes on to explain how many of his peers don't agree with his findings on how to diagnose CTE or the causes of it.
Saying the protein Tau build up in his case he based CTE on Webster can also be found in healthy 50yo men and can be related to aeging its also found in dimentia and alziemhers disease.

A tangle of tau in the cortex can be CTE but it usually en masse and in the case of Omalus "discovery" of CTE the small amounts he showed was "akin to saying you discovered a rare bird but only showing the tip of the beak as proof".

Cheers The Royal Sampler for the article. Seems there is a lot more research to be done in both defining and identifying CTE and its causes.

Thankyou for this post. I certainly need to know more before definitively identifying this as another 'its not global warming' syndrome. Something is happening here but we don't know what it is, do we mister jones. It maybe not what we think, maybe other shite is relevant (I am sure our wonderous judicial system will work that out). At this stage I am happy for Emma to use the courts to work it out.

I am a boxing fan. I was willing to buy parkinsons with M.Ali but when Tommy Hearns took the same path I started to question. Just sayin'.

Being punch drunk has been a known in boxing for a very very very long time.

And yet here we are not only is the sport still massive around the globe but an even more brutal sport MMA has usurped it and many people still willingly partake in it.

These fighters do it because they love teh sport, love fame, love power of being an Alpha type, or love Money. They do so willingly despite the KNOWN risks.

People using Gladiator references are taking the piss, they were slaves they had no choice! and are incomparable and it's disengenous to use it as such.

At some point the onus needs to be on the individual for taking the risk, not obsolve the sport for anything reckless or deliberate but a line needs to be drawn somewhere imo AFL have already reached that line. The only step that they could do is offer a fund for medical treatments to ex players who suffer from injury.

I know right?, It's like your expert knowledge of the christian faith, we're all doomed, doomed

I See How It Is Christmas Journey GIF by NETFLIX

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are people seriously just knee-jerk barracking against this woman on absolutely no basis? If she's taking a massive corporation to court over something, and knows the amount of hate she will receive from moronic supporters, I reckon there might actually be an issue here.

Are people seriously just knee-jerk barracking against this woman on absolutely no basis? If she's taking a massive corporation to court over something, and knows the amount of hate she will receive from moronic supporters, I reckon there might actually be an issue here.

I posted this yesterday in the AFLW thread:

This is a legal matter and we do not have all the relevant facts and information. We shouldn’t immediately jump to criticism of Emma, and nor am I saying the club is at fault.

Not every ex-player who finds themselves in opposition to the club is in the wrong. It’s more complex than that.

Concussion related issues are a concern for the AFL and will only get bigger.

Wouldn’t matter if it was one game if negligence was involved.

Which it may not have been. We don’t know.
Totally agree. I just can't see a AFL club being negligent in today's game.
They have doctors and it's left ultimately up to the player if everything seems clear.
Footy is brutal and the brain complex.

I'd be up for that.
More issues, complexities, potential court cases, threats to sue based on sexism (Brennan), partnership breakdowns, injuries than AFL has had in only 7 seasons.
*en joke, fit in or * off

I’ve been following the AFLW from day one and I haven’t noticed the ‘more’ issues you identify. More than what? The AFL?

I’ll have to pay more attention.

Totally agree. I just can't see a AFL club being negligent in today's game.
They have doctors and it's left ultimately up to the player if everything seems clear.
Footy is brutal and the brain complex.

I'm really baffled by the argument that AFL clubs are no longer negligent.

Does that also mean that corporations --with battalions of lawyers on hand-- are no longer negligent, because they always know the requisite standard of care and are really really keen to abide by it?

Governments are guided by policy wonks and legal advice, and are certainly afraid of taking damage to their image, so are they no longer capable of being negligent?

If not, why are football clubs so special?

I'd be up for that.
More issues, complexities, potential court cases, threats to sue based on sexism (Brennan), partnership breakdowns, injuries than AFL has had in only 7 seasons.
*en joke, fit in or * off

Fit in or f*** off?

Haven't seen that pearl of wisdom for a while. Last time it was plastered across the back of the ute of a yokel in Cranbourne, along with 'No Fat Chicks' and something along the lines of, 'If it wasn't for the diggers, you'd be speaking Japanese'.

The wretched blimp who was driving was lucky to fit into his own car. I guessed that he had to prohibit larger women because the big fella was already spreading across the passenger seat. And I doubt he could speak proper English, no worry about Japanese.

Needless to say, it's a rather Hanson-esque view of Australia, long since changed, and lardy lads like him just need to fit in or f*** off.

I'm really baffled by the argument that AFL clubs are no longer negligent.

Does that also mean that corporations --with battalions of lawyers on hand-- are no longer negligent, because they always know the requisite standard of care and are really really keen to abide by it?

Governments are guided by policy wonks and legal advice, and are certainly afraid of taking damage to their image, so are they no longer capable of being negligent?

If not, why are football clubs so special?
Give me one example of how Collingwood may have been negligent? Or more if you have some.
She was injured and had 3 weeks off before returning.
Forced to play?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back