News Emma Grant files lawsuit against Collingwood over concussion

Remove this Banner Ad

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory

Maybe you should look into the 1 billion dollar payouts athletes in America are getting for concussed before you start ranting. This is only the beginning, there is no stopping it once athletes realise they can get 6 figure payouts, or more.

Look at you go!

Context and facts don't stand a chance. We're simply doomed. DOOMED.

I provided facts, waiting for you to.

You haven't grappled with what her claims actually are.

You don't know what the duty of care is in this particular context.

You have precisely zero clue as to whether or not the club has failed in its duty of care in this instance.

You haven't considered that the costs/damages from this sort of case --if successful-- are likely to be a pittance.

Your only 'fact' is that lawsuits have happened elsewhere and cost lots of money.

Duh.

But I'm not here to deprive you of joy. Tell me that the sky is falling, please.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, we ought to go back to the good old days of footy players losing their minds and livelihoods whilst the club watched on unscathed!
The club has doctors. She would have been sent in for a brain scan.
She would have said I'm right to go.
Clubs nowadays do not force you to play.
The brain is very complex. Hard to tell if everything is ridgy didge with it.
If the brain scans were clear she hasn't got a case.
She was out at least 3 weeks and eventually she wanted to keep playing. Wear a helmet then FFS

The club has doctors. She would have been sent in for a brain scan.
She would have said I'm right to go.
Clubs nowadays do not force you to play.
The brain is very complex. Hard to tell if everything is ridgy didge with it.
If the brain scans were clear she hasn't got a case.
She was out at least 3 weeks and eventually she wanted to keep playing. Wear a helmet then FFS
It is extremely unlikely she went in for a CT scan, if that's what you are imagining. They aren't customarily used in concussion - they are only usually used for more severe brain injuries.

It is extremely unlikely she went in for a CT scan, if that's what you are imagining. They aren't customarily used in concussion - they are only usually used for more severe brain injuries.
I had a motorcycle accident and did not hit my head nor was I concussed. No injuries whatsoever other then a couple of cuts.
CT scan was done on me without asking for it.
I thought it be imperative if a footballer is concussed.

I had a motorcycle accident and did not hit my head nor was I concussed. No injuries whatsoever other then a couple of cuts.
CT scan was done on me without asking for it.
I thought it be imperative if a footballer is concussed.
Well, you thought wrong. CT scans will be used for big accidents to rule out brain bleeds, etc., but the garden variety footy concussion isn't that. Despite their similar lettering:) a CT scan can't pick up CTE damage.

Thanks EMMA! You ruined it for everybody.
That is a bit harsh. At the end of the day this is about changing the general perceptions around injuries, it is about recognising injuries on the sporting field have long term implications. Emma is not ruining it for everyone, simply supporters and members of clubs. It wasn't ok for roman gladiators to die for entertainment, nor is it ok for current day sportspeople to be damaged for life. AFL/W is about entertainment: we, the public, need to recognise the cost.

That is a bit harsh. At the end of the day this is about changing the general perceptions around injuries, it is about recognising injuries on the sporting field have long term implications. Emma is not ruining it for everyone, simply supporters and members of clubs. It wasn't ok for roman gladiators to die for entertainment, nor is it ok for current day sportspeople to be damaged for life. AFL/W is about entertainment: we, the public, need to recognise the cost.
May as well scrap this sport altogether. Her decision to play on. She wasn't forced.
Wear a helmet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back