Analysis Draft Pick Discussion - Do Early Picks Guarantee Success?

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you though? Average foot soldiers aren't the players who win flags. I think you draft hoping for the most outstanding talented and highest impact players ..not with career longevity not for 200 games of mediocrity.
The fact you've managed to last in the system playing 200 games doesn't somehow magically transform you to a good player if you are just an average footsoldier for 200 games.

I'm rating them based on how I see them as a player. It's more subjective than how many games they managed to play I know but dammed if I can bring myself to call Richard Tambling or Farren Ray "good players". I could do it for Wilbur though if you like:D

There’s bias in every judgement, and we fans would make different judgements or assessments than the clubs. WHE is a case in point, being a player who is often criticised by fans yet clearly valued by the club and coaches. They may think he’s a better performed no. 4 pick than many of us do. Our assessment is also skewed by the standout no. 4s, e.g. Bont.

There’s bias in every judgement, and we fans would make different judgements or assessments than the clubs. WHE is a case in point, being a player who is often criticised by fans yet clearly valued by the club and coaches. They may think he’s a better performed no. 4 pick than many of us do. Our assessment is also skewed by the standout no. 4s, e.g. Bont.
Undoubtedly.
And the lines between good and average players was more difficult to find than the Stars and busts.
I have no prob in categorising Wilbur either way really. It's line ball. In 2018 he was definitely "good".

Ok you guys. Pick the bones out of this!

In the 19 years sample size Pick 18 has produced 1 more star rated player than pick 4 and it's basically even in the other categories.

SummaryPick 18
Bust8/1942%
Average4/1921%
Good2/1911%
Star5/1926%
bust/average12/1963%
good/star7/1937%
SummaryPick 4
Bust7/1937%
Average5/1926%
Good3/1916%
Star4/1921%
bust/average12/1963%
good/star7/1937%

PICK 18
YearNameGamesRating
2000Daniel Kerr220Star
2001Shane Harvey14Bust
2002Kris Shore0Bust
2003Llane Spaanderman3Bust
2004Cameron Wood88Bust
2005Max Bailey43Bust
2006Leroy Jetta93Average
2007Alex Rance200Star
2008Luke Shuey247Star
2009Luke Tappscot48Bust
2010Mathew Watson23Bust
2011Brad McKenzie37Bust
2012Brodie Grundie194Star
2013Luke Dunstan121Average
2014Isaac Heeney174Star
2015Jade Gresham133Good
2016Sam Powell Pepper135Good
2017Brandon Starcevic92Average
2018Xavier Duursma69Average
average games101.79
I feel that you have deliberately picked a pick that has historically been good and you are using this outlier to show that there is little difference between a late first round pick (18) and a very early pick (4). But is cherry picking one pick (18) and using that pick to show how good the picks generally are in that area of the draft statistically significant? I dont think so. What you should be doing is selecting comparing picks 3+4+5 to picks 17+18+19 this would give you much more valid data.

There is also the subjective element to your statistics. For example: Jeroy Jetta and Luke Dunstan are average players yet their careers are similar to Richard Tamblings who you have labelled as a bust. In fact I would say that Tambling's career would be better than Jetta's. Your stars in Brodie Grundy and Isaac Heeney are the weakest of all the stars if they are stars at all and I feel that many of the more recent pick 4's such as Daicos, LDU, King, Wardlaw, McDonald and Ash have a very good chance of having better careers than Grundy and Heeney. Sure Grundy was a star for about 3 years, however he is now imo just a slightly above average ruckman and he has been for 3 years. Heeney has shown glimpses but like DeGoey he can look amazing at times but if you judge his overall career he is just a good AFL footballer.

Here is my ratings: pick 4 differences: Tambling: average. Ray: Good, WHE: good, Ainsworth: good, LDU: potential star.
Bust 31.5%
Average: 16%
Good: 21%
Star*: 31.5% (includes potential stars)

Here are my ratings for pick 18 differences: Starcevich: good, Duursma: Good, Grundy: Good, Heeney: Good

Bust 37%
Good: 37%
Star: 11%
(yeah I know 101% but I have rounded)

Even with my potentially bias subjective ratings I agree that pick 18 is an amazing pick. Although pick 4 is much more likely to deliver you a star imo. Did you pick this pick (18) on purpose to support your argument? How good are the picks around pick 18? Is pick 17 and pick 19 better? Worse?

I feel that you have deliberately picked a pick that has historically been good and you are using this outlier to show that there is little difference between a late first round pick (18) and a very early pick (4). But is cherry picking one pick (18) and using that pick to show how good the picks generally are in that area of the draft statistically significant? I dont think so. What you should be doing is selecting comparing picks 3+4+5 to picks 17+18+19 this would give you much more valid data.

There is also the subjective element to your statistics. For example: Jeroy Jetta and Luke Dunstan are average players yet their careers are similar to Richard Tamblings who you have labelled as a bust. In fact I would say that Tambling's career would be better than Jetta's. Your stars in Brodie Grundy and Isaac Heeney are the weakest of all the stars if they are stars at all and I feel that many of the more recent pick 4's such as Daicos, LDU, King, Wardlaw, McDonald and Ash have a very good chance of having better careers than Grundy and Heeney. Sure Grundy was a star for about 3 years, however he is now imo just a slightly above average ruckman and he has been for 3 years. Heeney has shown glimpses but like DeGoey he can look amazing at times but if you judge his overall career he is just a good AFL footballer.

Here is my ratings: pick 4 differences: Tambling: average. Ray: Good, WHE: good, Ainsworth: good, LDU: potential star.
Bust 31.5%
Good: 21%
Star*: 31.5% (includes potential stars)

Here are my ratings for pick 18 differences: Starcevich: good, Duursma: Good, Grundy: Good, Heeney: Good

Bust 37%
Good: 37%
Star: 11%
(yeah I know 101% but I have rounded)

Even with my potentially bias subjective ratings I agree that pick 18 is an amazing pick. Although pick 4 is much more likely to deliver you a star imo. Did you pick this pick (18) on purpose to support your argument? How good are the picks around pick 18? Is pick 17 and pick 19 better? Worse?
I picked pick 18 because it is the pick that we will receive this year and the discussion was around trading it, plus our future first plus Fin McRae for pick 4.!!!
Not sure why you did not understand that given your engagement in the discussion.

I don't have a dog in any fight here or an agenda. I'm wondering why you do?
It's information... Make it it what you will. Judgements and opinions will differ yeah👍.

Here is pick 17.

Pick 17
YearNameGamesRating
2000James Davies3Bust
2001James Kelly313Star
2002Cameron Faulkner18Bust
2003Billy Morrison0Bust
2004Andrew McQualter94Average
2005Darren Pfeiffer23Bust
2006Saun Hampson98Average
2007Harry taylor280Star
2008Sam Blease34Bust
2009Daniel Menzel80Bust
2010Saun Atley234Average
2011Clay Smith55Bust
2012Josh Simpson2Bust
2013Michael Apeness12Bust
2014Kyle Langford128Good
2015Tom Doedee82Average
2016Jarrod Berry128Average
2017Jack Higgins99Good
2018Sam Sturt16Bust
average games89.42
Summary
Bust10/1953%
Average5/1926%
Good2/1911%
Star2/1911%

So to try to draw a conclusion:

• Based on history, for picks 18 and 17 we have a 26% chance, PLUS an 11% chance of drafting a star compared to a single 21% chance with pick 4 alone. There is a clear probability advantage in keeping and using those two later picks rather than trading them to upgrade to pick 4. Throwing in Fin Mcrae plus a third rounder as well just makes this an even worse option.

• Bear in mind that these are all coveted first round picks. The average and bust rates across all three picks indicates to me that the "science" of drafting appears to be over-rated. It's still a chooklotto. There's a disconnect between the perceived value of high draft picks like pick 4 and 6 and what reality is showing us that they produce.

• Probabilities clearly show that your best option is to use your draft picks to trade in known quantity established players whenever you get the chance.

• So knowing what I know now and being a believer in probabilities; I would not trade two first rounders plus Fin and steak knives for pick 4. I probably would have if I hadn't done this exercise... based purely on the perceived value of pick 4.

I picked pick 18 because it is the pick that we will receive this year and the discussion was around trading it, plus our future first plus Fin McRae for pick 4.!!!
Not sure why you did not understand that given your engagement in the discussion.

I don't have a dog in any fight here or an agenda. I'm wondering why you do?
It's information... Make it it what you will. Judgements and opinions will differ yeah👍.
Fair enough.

So to try to draw a conclusion:

• Based on history, for picks 18 and 17 we have a 26% chance, PLUS an 11% chance of drafting a star compared to a single 21% chance with pick 4 alone. There is a clear probability advantage in keeping and using those two later picks rather than trading them to upgrade to pick 4. Throwing in Fin Mcrae plus a third rounder as well just makes this an even worse option.

• Bear in mind that these are all coveted first round picks. The average and bust rates across all three picks indicates to me that the "science" of drafting appears to be over-rated. It's still a chooklotto. There's a disconnect between the perceived value of high draft picks like pick 4 and 6 and what reality is showing us that they produce.

• Probabilities clearly show that your best option is to use your draft picks to trade in known quantity established players whenever you get the chance.

• So knowing what I know now and being a believer in probabilities; I would not trade two first rounders plus Fin and steak knives for pick 4. I probably would have if I hadn't done this exercise... based purely on the perceived value of pick 4.

I think going right back is too far as they're getting better at picking them. Mainly because the players are more developed so they're easier to sort into order.

Looking at your lists and only looking at the decade 2009-2018.

Pick 4 - 3 stars - Bont, Oliver and Clarry - With LDU and King possiblities to join.
Pick 17 - 0 stars - Higgins some chance to become one
Pick 18 - 2 stars, Grundy and Heeney - but Heeney doesn't count as he was bid on at Pick 2.

Over that 10 year block - much higher likelihood of star at pick 4 and much brighter star.

I think going right back is too far as they're getting better at picking them. Mainly because the players are more developed so they're easier to sort into order.

Looking at your lists and only looking at the decade 2009-2018.

Pick 4 - 3 stars - Bont, Oliver and Clarry - With LDU and King possiblities to join.
Pick 17 - 0 stars - Higgins some chance to become one
Pick 18 - 2 stars, Grundy and Heeney - but Heeney doesn't count as he was bid on at Pick 2.

Over that 10 year block - much higher likelihood of star at pick 4 and much brighter star.
Oliver and Clarry are the same person. You meant Gaff (2010). You forgot Shuey in pick 18. So that's 3-2 excluding Heeney.

You are correct that there is an uptick in hit rates for stars at pick 4 in the latter period. That is by one player, Gaff, who was recruited back in 2010. I'm not sure you can ascribe that to anything other than the randomness of chance that seems apparent when you assess individual draft pick success.

Recruiting players 6 months older might help but then the soft cap has meant recruiting departments are now less well resourced than they were in the first decade.
The age change came in for the 2009 draft too and you are comparing a 9 year period with a 10 year period.

Generally speaking, reducing the sample size doesn't make the data better and imv there's not enough evidence yet to support your assertion that recruiters are now better at their art than they were 15 years ago.

Last edited:
Oliver and Clarry are the same person. You meant Gaff (2010). You forgot Shuey in pick 18. So that's 3-2 excluding Heeney.

You are correct that there is an uptick in hit rates for stars at pick 4 in the latter period. That is by one player, Gaff, who was recruited back in 2010. I'm not sure you can ascribe that to anything other than the randomness of chance that seems apparent when you assess individual draft pick success.

Recruiting players 6 months older might help but then the soft cap has meant recruiting departments are now less well resourced than they were in the first decade.
The age change came in for the 2009 draft too and you are comparing a 9 year period with a 10 year period.

Generally speaking, reducing the sample size doesn't make the data better and imv there's not enough evidence yet to support your assertion that recruiters are now better at their art than they were 15 years ago.
I'd increase the sample size by looking at the range of picks around the pick. Eg. The current sample suggests 18 is a better pick than 17, which is very unlikely to hold in the long run -

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd increase the sample size by looking at the range of picks around the pick. Eg. The current sample suggests 18 is a better pick than 17, which is very unlikely to hold in the long run -
You're a hard task master SR. Lucky I have so much time to kill nowadays.
I'll get back to you with some more samples soon.

You're a hard task master SR. Lucky I have so much time to kill nowadays.
I'll get back to you with some more samples soon.
Lol. I wasn't asking you to do it.

It is interesting. I'm probably just assuming that AFL clubs have analysed the crap out of it, and they don't trade those early picks. So I'm assuming that a thorough analysis taking into account anomalies attached to an individual pick will suggest - don't trade those picks.

Yes, early picks categorically guarantee success. Just look at Carltank.

giphy.gif

Yes, early picks categorically guarantee success. Just look at Carltank.

giphy.gif
Yeah that's the other half of the equation - team success. Early picks seem to guarantee that you'll be s**t and get more early picks and be s**t and get more early picks.

Last edited:
Yeah that's the other half of the equation - team success. Early picks seem to guarantee that you'll be s**t and get more early picks and be s**t and get more early picks.
I was actually just musing over the same theory.

Theoretically having early picks which did in fact improve the side would actually result in that side having less early picks long term.

Cartoons swag of early picks seemingly making them worse over a long period causing a tsunami of early picks seems to disproved the theory though.

I was actually just musing over the same theory.

Theoretically having early picks which did in fact improve the side would actually result in that side having less early picks long term.

Cartoons swag of early picks seemingly making them worse over a long period causing a tsunami of early picks seems to disproved the theory though.
In their 12 years, Gold Coast have had the equivalent of about 100 years of early picks for a decent club. Still s**t.

Lol. I wasn't asking you to do it.

It is interesting. I'm probably just assuming that AFL clubs have analysed the crap out of it, and they don't trade those early picks. So I'm assuming that a thorough analysis taking into account anomalies attached to an individual pick will suggest - don't trade those picks.
Yeah they'dve analysed the crap out of it for sure as you say and they don't trade those early picks. But there should be a better probability reward for them than that shown in the data so far.

And every recruitment Boss thinks he can get his hands on the jackpot with those early picks. It's in the nature of their profession for them to want to keep early picks and use them. None of them are thinking there's a good probability their judgement is wrong and they'll just get a spud when they call the names out.

Yeah they'dve analysed the crap out of it for sure as you say and they don't trade those early picks. But there should be a better probability reward for them than that shown in the data so far.

And every recruitment Boss thinks he can get his hands on the jackpot with those early picks. It's in the nature of their profession for them to want to keep early picks and use them. None of them are thinking there's a good probability their judgement is wrong and they'll just get a spud when they call the names out.
If looking for stars from your picks, 17+18 don't match up to pick 4 if looking at the more recent years and 18 might just be an outlier.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back