Toast Contributions to success

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
I have to say that I’ve been very uncomfortable all year and particularly post grand final with no recognition of Buckleys contribution and also others like Ned Guy.

I feel like Buckley set the foundation, we defend better and tackle better than any other team, yes Macrae enabled the flair but he also has a much better environment to work in. The camaraderie and chemistry was built under Buckley and Macrae has taken that to another level.

Ned Guy I felt was a bit of a scape goat, he did what he was told. Most importantly he had the courage to rectify the situation that ultimately enabled us to bring in McStay, Hill, Frampton and Mitchell. We got a poor return for Treloar and Grundy other clubs have since handed over first round picks to offload high end talent. They did say other clubs would follow and we really got ahead of the curve and set ourselves up for success.

I don’t think we win this premiership without Buckleys devotion and stewardship, and the way he gracefully departed (unlike his experience with Malthouse) and continued to support the club. Ned guy similarly key, recognised the error and fixed it. We don’t win without his sacrifice.

Floreat Pica

I think Geoff Walsh was not in the same postcode as Graham Wright is currently in. If you want a coach to lose a playing group, get your coach to forceably push out a nice guy, instead of taking the responsibility of the general manager position. No wonder any bonds that buckley had successfully established with the playing group around 2018, were cut when the general manager or director or whatever Walsh called himself, didnt take the responsibility of the postion but instead, slinked off like the gutless wonder he was.

We made a huge mistake of picking Walsh and that other slimeball Allan ahead of Neil Balme
There were a comedy of errors, mishaps and just foolishness over that period. If it weren’t for Buckley steadying the ship over this period…one of the most tumultuous, who knows where we’d be. Ned gets a nod from me as well…he could have ignored the obvious, the easy and popular option was to retain Treloar and Grundy.

There were a comedy of errors, mishaps and just foolishness over that period. If it weren’t for Buckley steadying the ship over this period…one of the most tumultuous, who knows where we’d be. Ned gets a nod from me as well…he could have ignored the obvious, the easy and popular option was to retain Treloar and Grundy.

who knows if Guy was making decisions. I have my doubts.

If you think buckley wasn't recognised, listen to the SEN monday morning podcast with Tom Morris, There was about 6 to 8 calls from pie suporters and most of them thanked buckley for his contribution. I think we all realise that he had problems empathising with players who weren't self motivated and he was probably a bit too fixated on a premiership and he was inclined to take charge of things like the treloar eviction when he should have known better....contrast that to how Craig allowed Wright to do the heavy lifting with Grundy.......but by 2018 he had self-educated himself with empathy and all he had to do was to loosen the defensive reins a bit .....like a lot of coaches have done in the last 2 years. A strong intelligent GM of footy would have gotten a wider skill level in the assistant coaches and got buckley to decentralise power, instead of waiting for buckley to come to that realisation. I blamed Walsh but he had Eddie over his shoulder. The whole set up was disfunctional as you said....Craig has done very well and probably brought something that Buckley may never have grasped, but he has had a LOT better environment to operate.

who knows if Guy was making decisions. I have my doubts.

If you think buckley wasn't recognised, listen to the SEN monday morning podcast with Tom Morris, There was about 6 to 8 calls from pie suporters and most of them thanked buckley for his contribution. I think we all realise that he had problems empathising with players who weren't self motivated and he was probably a bit too fixated on a premiership and he was inclined to take charge of things like the treloar eviction when he should have known better....contrast that to how Craig allowed Wright to do the heavy lifting with Grundy.......but by 2018 he had self-educated himself with empathy and all he had to do was to loosen the defensive reins a bit .....like a lot of coaches have done in the last 2 years. A strong intelligent GM of footy would have gotten a wider skill level in the assistant coaches and got buckley to decentralise power, instead of waiting for buckley to come to that realisation. I blamed Walsh but he had Eddie over his shoulder. The whole set up was disfunctional as you said....Craig has done very well and probably brought something that Buckley may never have grasped, but he has had a LOT better environment to operate.
Would be good if Macrae and the club acknowledged it as well!

Would be good if Macrae and the club acknowledged it as well!

well he acknowledged the defensive side in his early days. And there are still people out there that hate buckley so why introduce divsion....best to leave it and let those that think positive thoughts about buckley to say it to him when he meets them.....i think buckley wasnt sure about whether he would see some friendly faces when he went into the rooms post game...and he did so i'm sure he's happy with that.

well he acknowledged the defensive side in his early days. And there are still people out there that hate buckley so why introduce divsion....best to leave it and let those that think positive thoughts about buckley to say it to him when he meets them.....i think buckley wasnt sure about whether he would see some friendly faces when he went into the rooms post game...and he did so i'm sure he's happy with that.
No one hates Buckley. Many just don't think he was a very good coach.

I’d take it a step further and say no coach could have succeeded in the conditions he had.
What conditions? Seems to me that you started a thread to honour the contributions of those who preceded, but you're looking to be pretty selective about whose contributions to praise and might end up slagging off some others - and frankly when it comes to which parts of a footy department should get credit and which should be criticised - it really is all a guess from the outside.

What conditions? Seems to me that you started a thread to honour the contributions of those who preceded, but you're looking to be pretty selective about whose contributions to praise and might end up slagging off some others - and frankly when it comes to which parts of a footy department should get credit and which should be criticised - it really is all a guess from the outside.
My perspective. There is a clear case to include others like Eddie, sort of undid himself a bit a long with Walsh by signing players like they did. He also brought a lot of media attention on the club which didn’t help. The players acknowledged this impacted their ability to play freely.

On the flip side the club is in such a strong position thanks to Eddie…just not as clear cut when you’re looking at the premiership. I’m a big Eddie supporter.

My perspective. There is a clear case to include others like Eddie, sort of undid himself a bit a long with Walsh by signing players like they did. He also brought a lot of media attention on the club which didn’t help. The players acknowledged this impacted their ability to play freely.

On the flip side the club is in such a strong position thanks to Eddie…just not as clear cut when you’re looking at the premiership. I’m a big Eddie supporter.
From the outside, you can make the same pros and cons about Bucks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would like to thank manic for his contribution this year and in previous years. If not for his amazing analysis of football we would not be here today. I even think he believed his own crap.
On a serious note though, lets live in the moment and accept that those that came before also contributed to this flag. Let's put our attention into how were going to go back to back because I have a feeling we will

You reckon he made the call, and it wasn’t fly moving opportunities. If that’s the case then that’s pretty poor on Fly. That’s the industry their in…it’s cut throat.
Bucks wasn't overly effusive about Fly's early success. He kept saying how good the list was and 2017 was an aberration. There were definite undertones of resentment in Buck's early commentary. There is some truth in that although all of the media experts predicted a low rung finish in 2022. Our grinding, defensive mindset was replaced with exhilarating risk taking footy. Bucks was slow to acknowledge that.

Bucks wasn't overly effusive about Fly's early success. He kept saying how good the list was and 2017 was an aberration. There were definite undertones of resentment in Buck's early commentary. There is some truth in that although all of the media experts predicted a low rung finish in 2022. Our grinding, defensive mindset was replaced with exhilarating risk taking footy. Bucks was slow to acknowledge that.
I thought he was full of praise and genuinely happy for the club and players, perhaps not towards Fly as you say. Didn’t pick up on that.

I thought he was full of praise and genuinely happy for the club and players, perhaps not towards Fly as you say. Didn’t pick up on that.
I have never read anywhere Bucks saying anything negative about McRae. Positive yes.

Yeah, sorry, Bucks had his time. Unfortunately it didn't work out for him. We don't need to pat everyone on the back. All it takes is to listen to what the players say and you can now tell they are loving their footy, where they weren't previously.

Bucks is an all time Collingwood great, but the success of this team lies with the current coaching panel and administration.

Last edited:

well i dunno how effusive you wanted buckley to be, domie. Did you want him to admit that he was a s**t coach and he should have given the game away earlier?

I heard a lot of criticism about Tony Shaw after he gave up coaching and went into the media.

Sometimes these guys have to stick up for themselves a little bit

well i dunno how effusive you wanted buckley to be, domie. Did you want him to admit that he was a s**t coach and he should have given the game away earlier?

I heard a lot of criticism about Tony Shaw after he gave up coaching and went into the media.

Sometimes these guys have to stick up for themselves a little bit
Plus his comments were early last season. Most years we see a team with a new coach come out of the blocks looking fresh and improved and then watch them fall back to mediocrity as the season progresses.

I wouldn't assume it was some type of bitterness that led to Bucks making a couple of not so glowing comments. He probably just thought that we were doing wasn't sustainable and wouldn't work. Not many saw this coming and when we dropped a couple of games early last year, most thought we'd just had a dead cat bounce in the opening rounds.

Buckley’s biggest downfall as player and coach was he couldn’t relate to or get the most out of players who didn’t have his same mindset. A entire team of players with his mindset would no doubt dominate but that’s not reality.

Plus his comments were early last season. Most years we see a team with a new coach come out of the blocks looking fresh and improved and then watch them fall back to mediocrity as the season progresses.

I wouldn't assume it was some type of bitterness that led to Bucks making a couple of not so glowing comments. He probably just thought that we were doing wasn't sustainable and wouldn't work. Not many saw this coming and when we dropped a couple of games early last year, most thought we'd just had a dead cat bounce in the opening rounds.

You know all too well how little I know about modern football - systems, role playing (at least when it relates to footy) etc.

However, let me remind the viewers that the beagles won a premiership only 5 years ago on a very structured defensive game plan. It was forseen by the expert pundits that we would immerse ourselves more fully in this chip and mark strategy as the skills of the players further improved. In fact even now, premiership coaches like adam simpson are having trouble transitioning and we are yet to see if ross lyon and clarko will be successful in the new style....

so a little bit of skepticism from the coaches from that era is understandable...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back