Strategy Changes and Pre-match discussion (Freo 15/7, MCG 1.45pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never seen him get a clearance, stoppage clearance, hit outs or hit outs to advantage, we're there 2 McStay's playing for Brisbane last year. If ever there was a case for stats being overrated, these are it. I will believe and accept it when I see it for myself, hopefully soon this year
It's stat bollocks. Categorise them as tall forwards, and then the one's who chop out in the ruck are above average for tall forwards in terms of ruck and stoppage stats - because the average tall forward doesn't go to stoppages.

I really hope McStay kicks a bag so we can shut up about him
I don't think that will work because he's never kicked a bag his whole career. We have to just accept that McStay is going to make us better some how. He's got quite a few games before finals to show us all what he brings

Yes, it is everybody else, including Fly and Wright, who are wrong. Not you!

It's far too early to call McStay a "bust", but Fly and Wright are human and make mistakes like everyone else... There were also a huge amount of people critical of the McStay interest, not just him.

We'll know by end of the year whether it was a smart pick up or not. He could have a great finals series or more stinkers.

It's far too early to call McStay a "bust", but Fly and Wright are human and make mistakes like everyone else... There were also a huge amount of people critical of the McStay interest, not just him.

We'll know by end of the year whether it was a smart pick up or not. He could have a great finals series or more stinkers.
It was a smart move regardless of whether it works out.

You've got to wind the clock back to early last year when the decision was made and we persuaded him to come to us.

He was a durable seasoned pro coming off good form at the end of 2021 for the first time playing the deep forward role we needed. Our tall forwards consisted of Mihocek, with Cameron, Cox who looked washed up, AJ who was a 25 year old long shot who hadn't played a game or done anything at state league level and the always injured yet to do anything Kreuger.

With no trade cost, he was well and truly worth the risk of paying a bit overs in salary.

It was a smart move regardless of whether it works out.

You've got to wind the clock back to early last year when the decision was made and we persuaded him to come to us.

He was a durable seasoned pro coming off good form at the end of 2021 for the first time playing the deep forward role we needed. Our tall forwards consisted of Mihocek, with Cameron, Cox who looked washed up, AJ who was a 25 year old long shot who hadn't played a game or done anything at state league level and the always injured yet to do anything Kreuger.

With no trade cost, he was well and truly worth the risk of paying a bit overs in salary.

On the flip side, his stats as a forward (when he had Danniher and Hipwood taking the 1st and 2nd best tall defenders) were very mediocre...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the flip side, his stats as a forward (when he had Danniher and Hipwood taking the 1st and 2nd best tall defenders) were very mediocre.
But we didn't and don't want him for the role he played alongside them. We want him for the role he'd played well in, with excellent stats, just before we persuaded him to come to us.

Be very interested to see who trains fully today. If any of Titch , Tay or Pendles are a little sore I would not be surprised at all if Fly uses it is an opportunity to reward Fin for his exceptional form
Agree. Especially if Titch is still bothered by that broken foot.

If Grundles tears Brisbane a new one on Friday night and helps secure a top 2 spot for pies , happy to fast track a life membership for him
Don't have to worry about that now...

Cheeses, I mean I get the reaction considering the amount of unwarranted criticism you see on BF but in this case I'm merely stating the facts from his numbers this season as a Collingwood player. Hence why I don't see his value at the moment. I mean he's worth a shot with Mihocek out but he'd have to improve his output immensely to retain a spot.

P.s. In 16 of those stats you've listed he's below average in his games this year.
Markov’s early games were also criticized. Now with a much larger sample his true value can be assessed.
You therefore need to be equally patient with McStay before making premature conclusions.

Fly is an insect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back