Strategy Changes & Pre-match Discussion - GRAND FINAL vs. Brisbane MCG, 2:30pm Sat 30/09

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We kicked 100 points against them at Marvel

A ground we don’t play well without Daicos, De Goey, Hill and Moore.

We can score just fine when we need to.
With McStay, Adams and Noble. They also happened to kick 124 and have averaged 120 in the last 4 against us. Without McStay there’s not only a massive ? over our ability to score, but how are we flipping the script on their ability to score? I saw comments suggesting they only put 79 past Carlton and my take is they did all of that in a little over 2 quarters because the cue was in the rack early in the last…

Starting to think this could be the route we go with our changes and sub:

In: Framption/Krueger and Noble

Out: McStay Ginnivan

Sub: WHE

F/K - Thought Frampton was a certainty, but I am starting to think Krueger is the way to go. Will run through anyone and booming kick.

Noble - CC/Rayner/McCarthy means he comes in as we are short a matchup on those 3.

McStay - :(

Ginnivan - Stiff to miss out, but a horses for courses type change. I know a lot will be calling for Lip-stinky to be dropped after last week (and overall form being ordinary since returning to the side) The one thing i liked against GWS was his tackling, i'll back him in to be an asset for us on Saturday.

WHE Sub - A true utility. Very high footy IQ, good hands and runs his guts out. In an ideal world he comes on midway through the 3rd qtr, with fresh legs he could certainly find a lot of space and get out the back I50 for a cheap goal or two.
Wouldn't play WHE as the sub, he'll run at the same rate all day regardless of whether he's spent the first half on the bench - don't mind Nobe's as the Sub - the loss of one of our running defenders would hurt (don't think Nobes is a good fit for either Raynor or McCarthy - too strong 1:1)

With McStay, Adams and Noble. They also happened to kick 124 and have averaged 120 in the last 4 against us. Without McStay there’s not only a massive ? over our ability to score, but how are we flipping the script on their ability to score? I saw comments suggesting they only put 79 past Carlton and my take is they did all of that in a little over 2 quarters because the cue was in the rack early in the last…

Exactly...with Noble

Murphy was also basically "gone" from halfway through the second quarter and we had used our sub in the first quarter.

You're also ignoring the fact that they almost literally couldn't miss. They were kicking them from everywhere. It just wasn't realistic lol. Much like Geelong's 16.1 against us in Round 1.

Saturday will be the strongest back 6/7 we've had all season.
Saturday will be the strongest 23 we've fielded against Brisbane all season
Saturday will be arguably the weakest 23 they've fielded against us (no Ashcroft and potentially no Payne). Each other game they've played they've been essentially full strength
Saturday will be at the MCG. Not the Gabba. Not Marvel

I personally don't feel scoring will be our issue on Saturday (if we have any issues).

If any part of the ground falters on Saturday it will be the midfield. If we can beat them or break even there? We'll be fine.

they kicked 82 points from turnover when we last met -that's a huge outlier and they will not be doing that again.

UPDATE: Went out to give Darcy some water and he was moving around more than I had seen. He walked over to our fence and I opened it, he walked out and up on the power lines were two older Maggie’s (assuming mum and dad). He stumbled to start but eventually flew and can happily say Darcy was reunited with his parents and the 3 flew away together! ⚫⚪⚫⚪
Wow! A fairytale ending. Has to be an omen for the GF.

Exactly...with Noble

Murphy was also basically "gone" from halfway through the second quarter and we had used our sub in the first quarter.

You're also ignoring the fact that they almost literally couldn't miss. They were kicking them from everywhere. It just wasn't realistic lol. Much like Geelong's 16.1 against us in Round 1.

Saturday will be arguably the weakest 23 they've fielded against us (no Ashcroft and potentially no Payne). Each other game they've played they've been essentially full strength

I personally don't feel scoring will be our issue on Saturday (if we have any issues).

If any part of the ground falters on Saturday it will be the midfield. If we can beat them or break even there? We'll be fine.
Noble was fine that night and Murphy was out of his depth v Hipwood. There’s every chance we need to send Howe forward at some point with no McStay, Frampton likely to add nothing as a forward and he’s definitely not part of our best back 6/7. The one point I’d acknowledge though is the conversion I was sitting behind Hipwood for one of his goals which was an absolute sack from 50 that split the middle which won’t happen on Saturday.

On a pure footy basis they’re better than us and have been since 2018 so we either need to out coach them, change the game style or hope they wilt on the occasion/ the G. We’re up against it, IMO.

Exactly...with Noble

I think Macrae will want to stick to the current structure and I can see Cox spending plenty of time forward this week which is an issue as he's been the best ruck in the month. Cameron has to step up.

It will also allow Macrae to play another mid, which I think will be crucial on a hot day. Fingers crossed Adams can get up. He is built for grand finals.

2 x Daicos, WHE, Sidey and (deep breath) Lipinski's run will be crucial as guys get tired on Saturday.

Noble was fine that night and Murphy was out of his depth v Hipwood. There’s every chance we need to send Howe forward at some point with no McStay, Frampton likely to add nothing as a forward and he’s definitely not part of our best back 6/7. The one point I’d acknowledge though is the conversion I was sitting behind Hipwood for one of his goals which was an absolute sack from 50 that split the middle which won’t happen on Saturday.

On a pure footy basis they’re better than us and have been since 2018 so we either need to out coach them, change the game style or hope they wilt on the occasion/ the G. We’re up against it, IMO.
Hey Sco , who do you think we will go with. Do you think we bite the bullet on Frampton or back our systems and processes and go small

It was actually amazing and the fact he would let us hold him and Pat him was the best. Here he is just admiring the window set up this morning.

View attachment 1814374
Babies are very trusting. Anyone can become an adoptive parent to a lost and ground-bound bird. Magpies make good pets if there is absolutely no sign of the parents around. You were fortunate it was able to fly so soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw comments suggesting they only put 79 past Carlton and my take is they did all of that in a little over 2 quarters because the cue was in the rack early in the last…
It was an interesting game as they really cut the Blues up the way we would - with attacking running and forward handball. If you rewatch their opening quarter against us that's how that game started too, with both teams looking to release runners ahead of the contest. It was us who switched to down the line footy.

Like us theyre a bit light on for talls and will have to play with a bit more dare. Might be more high scoring than the other finals. First quarter is going to be huge. Got to get them early to put them into their shells and get them to play more cautiously against us. I wouldn't have any qualms about going in a tall down as I think it's numbers and execution around the contest that wins this.

Last edited:
I reckon Fly will take every player aside for their own private chat.
He knows how to work em.
We need our customary fast, but more importantly, accurate start.
We then need to maintain the pressure gauge to 190-200.
Leaving nothing out there.
Coxilla to dominate the ruck
Cameron to mark everything and slip forward for 2 or 3.
Elliott to kick 4.
Bobby 4
Checkers 5
De Goo to dominate alongside Titch and Nick.
The backline to be totally amazing.
Pendles and Rusty to put bin 2010 performances.
Bring it on home!

You haven't been very confident in our games in any of the finals if I recall correctly, hopefully the results continue, Im not saying I disagree with you about their talent over ours but there is something about the Pies this year, if we can make it into a defensive game we can and will win it.

I disagree personally but that's fine

I rate Frampton higher than most and that's ok. I like players with versatility. That's just a me thing. I've always really liked players who can play multiple roles at a capable level. Even more so for players who can play multiple roles well. It was acrually a major reason Nathan Buckley was and still is one of my favourite Collingwood players ever.

Dude could literally play anywhere on the ground except ruck, well. Actually better than well.

I feel like yes, while Frampton isn't as good a pure forward as McStay, he's still serviceable in the role. All we need to tweak is our forward line "gameplan" a little and keep Frampton's role simple, then the other 5 can lift the load.

The beauty of Frampton is that he has versatility. But he's ultimately a tall body and tall players don't get shorter as the game wears on, especially in perfect weather. In 2018, if Darcy Moore plays, we win. If Daniher and Hipwood's height starts to become a problem, you can throw Frampton back and move Howe forward. Realistically Howe doesn't have a good matchup in that forward line and he's an awkward match up in ours.

He had an uncharacteristically poor marking night in Round 23. I don't expect that would happen to Howe twice. He's also an accurate kick for goal.

But again, this is all just me maybe.

I think the safest option is Frampton for McStay straight up. It's a mobile tall for mobile tall. But at least it's a mobile tall that can play 3 roles serviceably as opposed to 1 role well.

If they really want to bring Adams in, I would prefer it's at the expense of Lipinski. Ginnivan simply can't come out.

Last edited:
Frampton. Ginni in black. Noble white.
Kreuger in white.
Howe didn’t participate. Frampton was forward

Lippa played in black wing and forward.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
What was Reef doing, I'd like him to be an option but assuming he isn't one?

Babies are very trusting. Anyone can become an adoptive parent to a lost and ground-bound bird. Magpies make good pets if there is absolutely no sign of the parents around. You were fortunate it was able to fly so soon.
The lady from the wildlife we contacted was pretty spot on. She said looked like it was only 1-2 days away from flying and that the parents would come back. Nice story and kids enjoyed it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back