Strategy Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 21 vs. Hawthorn, MCG, Sat 05/08, 4:35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We looked lethargic, and slow against Carlton. Hard game against Port the week before didn't help the cause and maybe the training load has increased this past month as we build towards September.

Whatever, changes are needed to bring some life back into the team

Out: Cox, Lipinski

In: AJ, Bobby Hill

I wouldn't be opposed to bring Frampton in ahead of AJ.

Cox didn't say much about playing this week but didn't indicate he was certain to be returning to the VFL. He'd taken some time off, went away, cleared the mind and found some support. So hopefully he returns this week in some form at some level to his beast mode. His podcast seemed more happy this week and had a positive, rather than negative, slant.
No thanks. A core player going through a down patch like a Lipinski or Murphy deserves this type of support, but a fringe player who’s been down for a while with 3 guys in the reserves deserving of a spot doesn’t. Footy’s ruthless and whilst there’s a chance Cox receives this support it’s not fair that he’ll get it ahead of whoever else they’d have to drop to fit Hill in (as a minimum).

The long weekend provided to the players suggests that we were at the end of a heavy training phase.

The response this week will tell all.

Which is what I've been trying to say

This week will be telling in where we're at and what is going on inside the club imo

Is that much different to the rest of the competition? They have been very well run for a very long time.
Yep I think it is. Its a huge differential as we have also been relatively successful in that time. 8 GF appearances to their 14

Here a quick stat I checked as its my impression we struggle against them even in the years we are doing better than them.

In our 8 GF years they finished 8th, 6th, 5th, 10th, 9th, 7th, 3rd and 4th yet in those seasons the win:loss is 6:8 in their favour.

Yep I think it is. Its a huge differential as we have also been relatively successful in that time. 8 GF appearances to their 14

Here a quick stat I checked as its my impression we struggle against them even in the years we are doing better than them.

In our 8 GF years they finished 8th, 6th, 5th, 10th, 9th, 7th, 3rd and 4th yet in those seasons the win:loss is 6:8 in their favour.

Hawks even beat us comfortably in the last H & A round of 2010, prior to the finals. Remember it well as I was sitting next to an especially obnoxious Hawks fan.

I initially wanted Titch dropped for this game, but again this old team I’ll back him in for a huge game against the old foe

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He badly needs a Good Game as been Poor for quite a Few Games

No thanks. A core player going through a down patch like a Lipinski or Murphy deserves this type of support, but a fringe player who’s been down for a while with 3 guys in the reserves deserving of a spot doesn’t. Footy’s ruthless and whilst there’s a chance Cox receives this support it’s not fair that he’ll get it ahead of whoever else they’d have to drop to fit Hill in (as a minimum).
He's no more fringe than Lipinski. In fact an on song Cox brings more to our game than an onsong Lipinski. Think back to the Queen's Birthday game last year or even the second game against Melbourne. He sets us alight and the crowd too when he is "on." That doesn't mean he should never suffer consequences for poor form but knowing what he can do and understanding it could well click into action in the next game it is tempting to stick with what for the best part of two years has been a successful, winning combination.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's no more fringe than Lipinski. In fact an on song Cox brings more to our game than an onsong Lipinski. Think back to the Queen's Birthday game last year or even the second game against Melbourne. He sets us alight and the crowd too when he is "on." That doesn't mean he should never suffer consequences for poor form but knowing what he can do and understanding it could well click into action in the next game it is tempting to stick with what for the best part of two years has been a successful, winning combination.
His output would suggest otherwise 🤷‍♂️

I never said he was certain to start but he still deserves support wherever he is playing.

If we beat the Hawks comfortably that will be a major statement as that mob has worried us more than any other over the past four decades. We rarely beat them and when we do it is usually a narrow win even when we are flying and they are cellar dwellers. I don't know how such a hoodoo can last for decades when different players are involved but it's a fact. Even in 1990, on the eve of the finals when we were sitting on top they absolutely humiliated us out at Waverley. That still haunts me to this day. Luckily Melbourne knocked them out in their semi final clash.

I initially wanted Titch dropped for this game, but again this old team I’ll back him in for a huge game against the old foe

Titch has more credits this season than Adams, IMO.

Adams had a shocker v Carlton, slightly glossed over by a meaningless late goal.

Hawks even beat us comfortably in the last H & A round of 2010, prior to the finals. Remember it well as I was sitting next to an especially obnoxious Hawks fan.
My recollection was that Beams had a chance late to win it for us but missed the shot at goal, but you know what old people are like. Maybe you are thinking of Geelong in 2011? I'm sure hubby can remind you of that.
Edit: Not as senile as I thought:
Saturday, 28 August (2:10 pm)
Hawthorn 15.8 (98)​
def.Collingwood 13.17 (95)MCG (crowd: 76,218)

My recollection was that Beams had a chance late to win it for us but missed the shot at goal, but you know what old people are like. Maybe you are thinking of Geelong in 2011? I'm sure hubby can remind you of that.
Edit: Not as senile as I thought:
Saturday, 28 August (2:10 pm)
Hawthorn 15.8 (98)​
def.Collingwood 13.17 (95)MCG (crowd: 76,218)
They humiliated us out at Waverley just before the 1990 finals series and lucky for us Melbourne beat them in their semi final. Leigh Matthews was genuinely fearful of meeting them in the finals. The Hawks have had our number for decades, even when we are in the top echelon and they are struggling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back