Strategy Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 24 vs. Essendon, MCG, Fri 25/08, 7:50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Footy is hugely above the shoulders. Unless you are a fringe 23rd player fighting for a spot I struggle to see any motivation of really going above this week. All the players heads will be solely on finals. Wouldn’t surprise me at all for us to be flat again.

I feel the exact same way after seeing Fly's press conference. Mentions qualifying and qualifying where we want to, etc.

A loss to Essendon wouldn't be tragic but it'd ruin my birthday 😂

I mean, this game will ultimately come down to which version of each team comes out

Both sides have been kinda garbage for the last month (give or take)

If the sh*tty version of both sides comes out, then god only knows what we're going to see. I'd lean towards Essendon purely because they have less injuries to key players.

Otherwise, it's a true toss of the coin in terms of which side comes out. But given both sides have fairly little to play for (?) and Essendon are attempting to respond to a 125 point belting (they also dont' appear to be tanking this game like Geelong are theirs) then my guess is they come out pretty hard compared to us.

I mean, this game will ultimately come down to which version of each team comes out

Both sides have been kinda garbage for the last month (give or take)

If the sh*tty version of both sides comes out, then god only knows what we're going to see. I'd lean towards Essendon purely because they have less injuries to key players.

Otherwise, it's a true toss of the coin in terms of which side comes out. But given both sides have fairly little to play for (?) and Essendon are attempting to respond to a 125 point belting (they also dont' appear to be tanking this game like Geelong are theirs) then my guess is they come out pretty hard compared to us.
Essendon are rubbish and have been for 8-10 weeks now, we have not we have lost 1 game in two weeks against 2nd on ladder, get off the horse ...

Essendon are rubbish and have been for 8-10 weeks now, we have not we have lost 1 game in two weeks against 2nd on ladder, get off the horse ...

We've lost 3 games of the last 4

Hence "garbage for the last month"

That 1 win was against a team who also completely fell off a cliff late in the season being carried by essentially 2 players who won't be playing finals.

That 1 win was against a team who also completely fell off a cliff late in the season being carried by essentially 2 players who won't be playing finals.
We’ve had nothing to play for and have clearly been in preservation mode. Concerning, but not enough to be worried about Essendon.

once again we are playing Essendon , not Briosn , not red hot Blues and a hot hawks ..

Is there a reason so many on this forum actively just ignore entire swathes of posts?

I said Essendon have been garbage

I said Essendon haven’t got anything to play for outside redemption for a 125 point belting

But we haven’t been good either

Like I said it’s ultimately a toss of the coin dependent on which version of each team comes out (based on both having poor recent form)

Howe trained in defence. That’s clearly the way they will go this week.

5cacf4b5e80bccf63d955f18225d08b3.jpg
de4dd8eb67fcf69f6c98a639d31a464f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Not surprised Cox/Cameron combo is Fly’s preferred option - given the inevitable meeting with Melb and need to counter Gawn and possibly even Grundy in combination.

Aren’t you the bloke who also predicted that the team that “fell off the cliff” was going to beat us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Footy is hugely above the shoulders. Unless you are a fringe 23rd player fighting for a spot I struggle to see any motivation of really going above this week. All the players heads will be solely on finals. Wouldn’t surprise me at all for us to be flat again.
Hopefully with 4 players who are certainties to be in best 22 to come back during finals , that the 8 or so players who could miss out really show that they want to be in the finals team. I have no idea who the 4 to miss out in the best 22 are.

Beau.

Out: Ryan, Murphy (inj) Beau (susp)

In: Hill, JDG, Cox (moved in to 22 from sub)

Howe plays defence.

Reef sub.
I feel I'm in a minority here but I wouldn't mind seeing Allan debut for his pace and seeing a WHE become the sub. But that probably won't happen given it would have been announced by now.

I've figured out why we haven't found space for Macrae and it's simply his kicking efficiency. Since round four in the VFL, it's been under 50%. Swoop Luke posted something about it today.

One to ponder on for sure.
Its definitely something he needs to work on. He gets the footy for sure. But its making his kicking more effective than it has been as of late. But we know kicking in his role can be pressured, as we have seen Adams in years gone by.

Hopefully with 4 players who are certainties to be in best 22 to come back during finals , that the 8 or so players who could miss out really show that they want to be in the finals team. I have no idea who the 4 to miss out in the best 22 are.
At risk would be:

• Cox
  • Cameron
  • Hoskin-Elliott
  • McCreery
  • Hill
  • Murphy.
  • Frampton.
  • McCreery.

Last edited:
Aren’t you the bloke who also predicted that the team that “fell off the cliff” was going to beat us.

Yep

So are predictions banned now?

F**k me this whole forum has a massive “b*tch eating crackers” complex

At risk would be:

• Cox
  • Cameron
  • Murphy
  • Hoskin-Elliott
  • McCreery
  • Hill
  • Murphy.
  • Frampton.
  • McCreery.
Interesting I have 3 on that list I think are certainties and a number of others not on your list that are not. Shows it’s not going to be easy to select the best 22

I've figured out why we haven't found space for Macrae and it's simply his kicking efficiency. Since round four in the VFL, it's been under 50%. Swoop Luke posted something about it today.

One to ponder on for sure.
I was commenting on it during the vfl game, his disposal particularly going inside 50 was and has been extremely poor. It’s a huge weakness. He also doesn’t haven’t much depth to his kicks

At risk would be:

• Cox
  • Cameron
  • Murphy
  • Hoskin-Elliott
  • McCreery
  • Hill
  • Murphy.
  • Frampton.
  • McCreery.
You listed Murphy twice. Is that because of the concussion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back